10 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 4:59 PM by merkk

export raw file as jpg but without any edits?

merkk Level 1

is there a way to tell LR to export a file as jpg, but without any edits? Basically just want it to convert the original raw file to a jpg file and do nothing else.

• 1. Re: export raw file as jpg but without any edits?
          DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

You can create virtual copies of the files. Select the virtual copies and from the develop module Lightroom General Presets select zeroed.

Then you can proceed to export using the virtual copies.

• 2. Re: export raw file as jpg but without any edits?
            dj_paige Level 9

I point out that converting an unedited RAW to JPG seems to me to be a huge waste of time. You get all the disadvantages of RAW (special software needed, extra steps needed, larger file created) and none of the benefits of RAW (higher image quality after editing). If you really want a JPG, just have your camera shoot JPG. Performing the steps as described by DdeGannes is the correct method in Lightroom, and yet it will not produce an image the same as just shooting JPG in the first place, the straight-out-of-camera JPG will often have more pleasing image quality than an un-edited RAW.

• 3. Re: export raw file as jpg but without any edits?
              merkk Level 1

i wanted to create a before and after pic - i'm sure there are plenty of times where people would want to send an unedited jpg version of a raw file.

• 4. Re: export raw file as jpg but without any edits?
                dj_paige Level 9

i'm sure there are plenty of times where people would want to send an unedited jpg version of a raw file.

Maybe, but I'm skeptical. I think there are almost no situations where you would want to do that.

Nevertheless, DdeGannes has described the process.

• 5. Re: export raw file as jpg but without any edits?
                  merkk Level 1

i appreciate your help, but just a suggestion - don't tell someone there's no situation where they want to do something, it's a little bit rude imho. especially since i just told you a very reasonable reason that i wanted to do it.

thanks

• 6. Re: export raw file as jpg but without any edits?
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you just want to compare the Before and After images you can use the the backslash \ key in the Develop module. This can be done quickly and the images are superimposed on each other so fine difference are revealed. In the Develop module you can also use Menu> View> Before/After and select one of the two-up Before/After views.  I use the Before/After viewing tools often as a quality check on my adjustments. You can also do this using a Virtual Copy as Ddegannes mentioned. If your objective is to send someone Before and After images for review then creating a Virtual Copy with the Develop settings Reset (bottom right panel) is the way to go. You can then Export both the edited original and unedited virtual copy.

It's not uncommon to "over-do" adjustments only to discover there are attributes in the unedited version that have become lost. This a good tool to use for reviewing your own work real-time.

• 7. Re: export raw file as jpg but without any edits?
                      merkk Level 1

Thank you - i was using the view-before/after but the backslash key view is very helpful as well, thanks.

and yes, i wanted to send a before and after to someone. I managed to do it by reverting the history on the picture, exporting and then enabling all the changes again.

I have to say, making a virtual copy seems like a clunky way to do it. I'm surprised there isn't an option in the export process to have it export the original file in whatever format i choose.

Thank you

• 8. Re: export raw file as jpg but without any edits?
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There may be a LR Plugin with this capability. Here's one:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/snapshot-on-export

• 9. Re: export raw file as jpg but without any edits?
                          jarnoh Level 1

We often view before/after shots in our photo club for educational purposes.   It takes about 5 seconds to do it in LR.  I use reset develop settings so that I get uncropped photo and no adjustments.

My export process goes like this:

Select photos, create virtual copies (copies are then selected), set copyname ("original"), develop: reset (+ sync, but I use auto-sync mode), then just add original photos to the selection and export.  I have filename template so that exports are renamed as filename_copyname.

Adding features specifically for this use case would make the UI cluttered, I don't find this 5 seconds process that clunky, otherwise I could have created a plugin for it myself

• 10. Re: export raw file as jpg but without any edits?
                            merkk Level 1

I don't think one more checkbox on the export window would make it clunky. It would literally be a single checkbox - 'export original unedited photo'.

I don't know if there are enough lightroom users who'd want this to make it worth doing, although i'm sure i'm not the only one who occasionally likes to export a before and after set of pics. But since it seems like there is no way to do it with just a checkbox, i guess I'll have to go with the virtual copy, or going back in the history like i did this time.