5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2007 3:33 AM by Newsgroup_User

Mess round text

maxelcat Level 1
      Hi

I am sure this is a simple question but....

I am trying to make a pop up menu using words and css and so on and got really stuck and fed up. SO I thought, fireworks can do this.

I have made a simple bar to show the problem I have - if you look round the words that will form the links there is "Mess" - I tried saving the jpegs at 100% but this is the best I can do. Some of the words have anti-alias on and some don't.

Please advice - how can I achieve a cleaner look.
      Many thanks

Edward

http://www.maxelcat.co.uk/tests/max_menu.html
        • 1. Re: Mess round text
          Level 7
          On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:03:00 +0300, maxelcat
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> I have made a simple bar to show the problem I have - if you look round
          > the
          > words that will form the links there is "Mess" - I tried saving the
          > jpegs at
          > 100% but this is the best I can do. Some of the words have anti-alias on
          > and
          > some don't.

First thing to try out would be using GIF or PNG instead of JPEG. JPEG was
          created for photos, not for sharp text.

--
          Ilya Razmanov
          http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
          • 2. Re: Mess round text
            maxelcat Level 1
            Much better as a gif!

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply

Edward
            • 3. Re: Mess round text
              Level 7
              There is another trick up FW's sleeve you should know about.
              If you ever need to export an image with text as a jpeg,(gradients,
              photos etc...) you can select Preserve Text Quality in the Selective
              JPEG Settings panel. To access it from the Optimize panel click on the
              edit icon to the right of Selective Quality field.

alex

maxelcat wrote:
              > Much better as a gif!
              >
              > Thanks for the quick and helpful reply
              >
              > Edward
              • 4. Re: Mess round text
                maxelcat Level 1
                This is good to know - I have been wondering about it!

My colleague does logo designs and sends them to me as eps files (or sometimes as very large jpeg). They always have text in them, as well as shapes etc

So I suppose when I want to shrink them to web size (ie liek 250px by 300px etc) I should probably be looking at them in gif as well as jpeg (with your tip)

I have just stuck to jpeg (don't know why really...) and noticed that mess around some of the lettering.

There is always more to do in this game - nothing is ever finsihed is it!!!
                • 5. Re: Mess round text
                  Level 7
                  On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:31:11 +0300, maxelcat
                  <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> This is good to know - I have been wondering about it!
                  >
                  > My colleague does logo designs and sends them to me as eps files (or
                  > sometimes
                  > as very large jpeg). They always have text in them, as well as shapes etc
                  >
                  > So I suppose when I want to shrink them to web size (ie liek 250px by
                  > 300px
                  > etc) I should probably be looking at them in gif as well as jpeg (with
                  > your tip)

The choice depend on total number of colors in image. GIF can hold up to
                  256 of them. If your image has very limited colors, and mostly has them as
                  solid color areas, using GIF for logos will be preferable. JPEG was
                  created for gradients, photos and stuff. It always produce some artifacts,
                  that are less visible in smooth images and much more pronounced in high
                  contrast sharp detailed ones, like black and white example you provided.
                  Still, if your image contain both smooth transitions and sharp text, JPEG
                  may work better than GIF because GIF will ruin the smooth transition,
                  causing banding. In this case, minimizing JPEG artifacts around text by
                  using Alex suggestion (selective compression) is a good idea. One thing
                  I'd like to add to it: your selection for "high quality" area should be a
                  bit larger than the text, covering some "low quality" background as well.
                  The reason is that JPEG compression work by blocks like 8*8 pixels (or
                  16*16, depending on subsampling), and compression quality may vary only
                  between blocks, not within one single block.

--
                  Ilya Razmanov
                  http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters