14 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 6:07 AM by A.T. Romano

No sound in playback? (Pe13)

rhyscboyy

I've just updated my Pe13 and now I cant hear audio in the playback but in any other video player I can?? before the update Pe13 worked fine no hassle until now. does anyone have any idea why?????

• 1. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rhyscboyy

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 running?

Where are you not hearing audio playback - in the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Edit area monitor Editor or Elements Organizer 13/13.1 player or both?

What is the source and properties of the file that is not playing back with sound?

Is this loss of sound the only issue that you encountered when you updated the program from 13 to 13.1?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
            rhyscboyy Level 1

hey atr

windows 8

the clips are mp4 and recorded from an elegato graphics card. Its not working in both, it happened when I updated.

• 3. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

rhyscboyy

Thanks for the reply.

Is the no audio only for these .mp4 videos recorded from the elegato capture device or is there no audio coming from any audio formats import in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and Elements Organizer 13/13.1?

When you refer to "...it happened when I updated.", can I assume that is the Premiere Elements update from 13 to 13.1?

If so, there have been about at least 3 reports that I recall where updating to 13.1 had negative effects one way or another on 13.  At least one was corrected by going from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 8.1 64 bit. But, you have Windows 8 64 bit.

At this point, I think that most would be gained by an uninstall, free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts), and reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

After the reinstall, make sure the program does not go automatically to 13.1. As quickly as possible, in the reinstalled program, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Update and assure that there is no dot next to "Automatically Download and Install Updates". Now determine if the audio returns to the Premiere Elements 13 and Elements Organizer 13.

Much of the suggestion is going to depend on if this issue is or is not restricted to the elegato device. Were these .mp4 files produced before or after the 13.1 Update?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                rhyscboyy Level 1

I uninstalled it and I tried to reinstall it but it wont let me install part 2 saying the file archive part is missing. so im in a worse spot now. when I download the 1st part it comes in a zip folder and it has never done that before

• 5. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rhyscboyy

The download route for Premiere Elements requires 2 files. One has a .exe file extension (that is the Adobe Download Assistant or Akamai) - and it extracts files in the second file which as the .7z file extension). The .7z is the program itself. The .exe needs to be used first. You need both files.

Please review your situation and then let me know the outcome. We will then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                    rhyscboyy Level 1

I installed in again and the sound still doesn't work, I made a new video and no change and I also reinstalled quicktime and nothing seems to work

• 7. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

rhyscboyy

Thanks for the follow ups.

When you re-installed Premiere Elements 13, did you look at the audio issue in 13 with no update to 13.1?

Are you reporting that now, even with only 13, you still cannot get audio for your Premiere Elements import of the .mp4 associated with elegato graphics card?

Have you firmly established that Premiere Elements is behaving this way only for the .mp4 associated with elegato graphics card?

Answers to the above will direct us to what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                        Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is recommended to use the Adobe Cleaner tool for reinstallations:

Use the CC Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems | CC, CS3-CS6

• 9. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

rhyscboyy

When I suggested the uninstall so that you could get back to Premiere Elements 13 and be free of the 13.1 update, I wrote in post number 3 in this thread

At this point, I think that most would be gained by an uninstall, free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts), and reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

After the reinstall, make sure the program does not go automatically to 13.1. As quickly as possible, in the reinstalled program, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Update and assure that there is no dot next to "Automatically Download and Install Updates". Now determine if the audio returns to the Premiere Elements 13 and Elements Organizer 13.

In Premiere Elements circles and based on my long history with Premiere Elements versions, the recommendation is to use the ccleaner whose link I posted. The Adobe CCleaner does not appear to be the same free ccleaner that I am pointing you to. In Adobe CCleaner, the CC appears to represent "Creative Cloud" and is used by the Premiere Pro crowd since Premiere Pro is a Creative Cloud application. I have not used Adobe CCleaner since the free ccleaner cited by me  does the job for me in Premiere Elements version after version, and I have never had the need to do a comparative study on the effectiveness of one cleaner against the other.

ATR

• 10. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to be clear - the Adobe Cleaner is not just for Premiere Pro.  It is also to be used for Premiere Elements.

• 11. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Peru Bob

As I wrote....

I do not know the relative effectiveness and scope of Adobe CCleaner (CC = Creative Cloud) as compared with the free ccleaner software (from another source) for computer cleanup of leftovers that impact program function. But, I do know first hand the can do effectiveness of the free ccleaner (with regular and registry cleaner parts) in cleaning up a computer with leftovers that create Premiere Elements problems involving Premiere Elements at least 4 through 13/13.1.

For that reason, in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, I think it important to make the distinction between Adobe CC cleaner (Creative Cloud) and the free ccleaner (from another source) which I use successfully in Premiere Elements troubleshooting.

When you read the description of Adobe CCleaner, it does show under products affected Adobe Premiere Elements as well as CC products. But a further read of the description of the Adobe CCleaner is interesting in that it talks above leftovers from Adobe products and does not mention leftovers in general from non Adobe sources. That may suggest a problem in the Adobe writeup instead of overall effectiveness of Adobe CCleaner. But, I do not know that first hand to be the case. So, I stay with what works for me and others doing computer troubleshooting to improve Premiere Elements performance on that computer.

ATR

• 12. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                                rhyscboyy Level 1

ATR

the clips still didn't work with PE13 but they did before??

I only used it for the legato never anything else. so no its not working.

• 13. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                                  rhyscboyy Level 1

I used your idea bob but im not too sure I did it right I cleaned everything, is that right? im not too computer savy

• 14. Re: No sound in playback? (Pe13)
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

rhyscboyy

Thanks for the follow up.

Please remind me....did we talk about the following previously, if not please consider.

Do you have any of the .mp4 files that worked before? If so, if you import them into Premiere Elements, do they work now while the current ones do not?

From what you posted, you are apparently trying out the Adobe CCleaner. If that turns out to have no impact on your issue (and depending on your answer to the question that I am asking above), please do as I suggested earlier---which uses the ccleaner from the source cited in the requested uninstall/reinstall process

Also important part is ruling out  any effects of the 13.1 Update on your present situation.

Thank you.

ATR