2 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2015 4:39 AM by Peter Villevoye

Buttons and Zoom Factor Failures in ADE...

Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

When using buttons with an action to navigate to another (Next/Previous) page in an ePub 3 FXL, there are several problems with the zooming factor in Adobe Digital Editions (on Mac). When initially opening an ePub, the zooming seems to be automatically fitting and adapting the content to the window and viewport of ADE. But as soon as you've clicked such a Next or Previous button, the referred page content is shown at a different factor (I guess its intended original size), and it will keep scaling and cropping to just that portion of the page. Furthermore, the arrows at the bottom don't follow suit; they keep indicating the initial page from where you've come...

I've tried using different kind of zooming factors for the creation of the button, but in vain. I've tried to see how the navigation from the TOC page in the "Play On" example has been made (this seems to zoom fine in ADE), but this has been done with hyperlinks, to a specific page number, with a "Fit to window" option. But if I try to mimic this method in a fresh document, the Export will throw errors at me about missing anchors.

A simple button on a Master Page should be able to perform such an action as to go to Next and Previous page, while keeping a correct zooming factor, shouldn't it ?

Everything works fine in iBooks, BTW. What am I overlooking, or rather: what's wrong with ADE ?

• 1. Re: Buttons and Zoom Factor Failures in ADE...
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You’re not missing anything. iBooks is what every EPUB reader needs to copy.

• 2. Re: Buttons and Zoom Factor Failures in ADE...
            Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

Well, if you say so, then it must be true !

Thanks for the reassuring thought that I haven't lost my wits. You mildly mentioned ADE before as a "less stellar" reader, but in this way, ePub 3 FXL will not fly...

So coming from InDesign, we have lousy interactivity in PDF, expensive marketing craziness in DPS Folios, overly flawed ePub 3 FXL readers on anything but Apple devices ? And in the meantime InDesign is becoming more and more monstrously wrong and even misleading in being clear on which interactive features fit into what format. This isn't a matter of required professionalism on the user's side anymore – this is a sheer lack of vision and execution on the developer's side.

I think after 5 years of wishing and hoping (and helping) Adobe to get these interactive media going, I'm going out of this messy business. Adobe is losing it. Digital Publishing as a derivative from these print workflow tools is not cutting it. HTML (for web or app) is the way to go, but creatively speaking, Adobe isn't very strong in that area either. Their development of such tools is too slow, and the results are too scarce.

"But we do have Photoshop in seven flavors !" – Really...

Sorry for the rant, but I'm gradually having enough of it.