10 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 4:38 AM by PurplePlumUK

Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command

PurplePlumUK Level 1

Hi

Background: I know, I'm a fool. I installed a plug-in to enable Hex colour spec. InDesign started grumbling.. disappearing top menu bar so I removed it (the extension, using Extension manager).

Problem: Only to discover the print command has disappeared from the File menu. Both the keyboard cmd + P and no "Print" in the File menu. Not even the Help thing finds it... or menus editor.

I've deleted the savedData in the user library (Mac OS 10.7.5). I've shut everything down, including the laptop and restarted. I've opened InDesign without opening a document (after deleting the saved data) for a clean start-up and no. Nothing is budging this problem.

>>>>> All my usual go-to's when InDesign has "a moment" have failed...... anyone?

Is the only answer a reinstall of Indesign from the disks? I'm working 150 miles away from them right now.... so.. it's a bit of a problem to say the least.

Yes, I still have 'export' so I'll have to export to PDF and print that from Preview... oh brother.

Thanks in advance... apologies if anything reads a bit wrong, but I've got a bit exasperated with this as I'm at work with a lot to get done.

• 1. Re: Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command
          PurplePlumUK Level 1

More info... I've attempted to use the Export command and the application (InDesign) crashes.... so...

just thinking through what this tells me... interface with the Macs print...

Photoshop prints as normal....

• 2. Re: Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, I think you need to reinstall InDesign CS6.

Start by uninstalling CS6.

If CS6 was installed from Creative Cloud, you can install from the Creative Cloud application. If it's a perpetual license, then you can download here:

Other downloads

• 3. Re: Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command
              PurplePlumUK Level 1

Hi Steve

Question 1: - as I've never done a reinstall from the net - I presume I need to know my serial number? I have an idea a keyboard command reveals it somwhere. ie: on the Indesign > About InDesign... though I've just tried the obvious keyboard combos to no avail.

Question 2: My client's gone out and I'm contemplating whether to phone and manage his expectations on return - as in: he thinks everything will be printed out - do you know how long it takes to download and install roughly? I need to manage this situation.

Big thank you for pitching in. I was unaware there was this resource for us perpetual license owners - didn't even know I was that so I've learned lots.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command
                PurplePlumUK Level 1

Just for info...

I spied save IDML file in the export menu... [ lightbulb! ]... I've got CS5.5 installed! Wooohooo... I've exported the file to IDML, opened it in CS5.5 and appart from a little of text reflow (minor) it's accurate to how I set it up. Minimal time lost, back in operation. The download and reinstall was going to equal more time lost and was risky (serial number problems + who knows what else).

• 5. Re: Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Before you do a full reinstall, try doing a full prefs replacement. SavedData is only half the set. See Replace Your Preferences

• 6. Re: Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command
                    PurplePlumUK Level 1

Hi Peter

Thank you for your suggestion. I've removed both files again...and ensured that when I quit InDesign it would not auto reopen a possibly corrupt file. No go. Looks like the reinstall's going to be the answer. I'm not going to chance it here. I've work to do and the older version of InDesign is functioning just fine. I've almost caught up.

I'm curious whether if I was a CC user whether I'd still be working through a reinstall.

• 7. Re: Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command
                      PurplePlumUK Level 1

I've not clicked "correct answer" because I've not implemented the 'reinstall' suggestion yet. While I fully expect it to resolve the issue, I'll do the reinstall (end of this week) and then come back. I've decided not to attempt it until I've finished this week's contracts (so I've the weekend to take further action if required). Thank you.

ps. And apologies for not having digested the download page - the info about serial numbers looks like it's in there.

• 8. Re: Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command
                        PurplePlumUK Level 1

This is really not clever now.

>>> WARNING - under no circumstances install the Free Hex colour picker plug-in into InDesign CS6.

Using the Adobe uninstaller on my system I uninstalled InDesign. Then from my Premium suite CD I reinstalled it. Booted up... no change. Still no "Print" in the File menu or recognition of the Cmd + P command.

PhotoShop is not effected, neither is Illustrator.

Any guidance would be really really appreciated.

Edit: I've gone in again and noticed a little box "Uninstall preferences" which I hadn't ticked. I'm going through the process again with the box ticked. Then I'll try uninstalling the whole suite. Urrrg.

• 9. Re: Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does it work in a different user account on the computer? How about if you start the Mac with the Shift key held down?

• 10. Re: Indesign CS6 - missing print menu item/command
                            PurplePlumUK Level 1

Hi Peter

The second time reinstall of just InDesign (CS6) with the discrete "Uninstall Preferences" box ticked has just worked! The three commands: "Print Presets", "Print" and "Print Booklet..." have all reappeared under "Package", and it responds to the keyboard commands for these items.

Now this suggests I hadn't managed to remove the preferences... I'd swear I was really diligent in locating the correct (two) files... not sure how I could have got it wrong? So I'm not sure what I should mark as correct answer... one of the suggestions was the correct one.

I'm no novice, though granted: my priorities were deadlines, keeping client relationships at the time; and it's a long time since I've had to deal with this kind of trouble because I generally run a clean system (you get rusty at firefighting if not doing it regularly).... gave in to this one plug-in and now I remember why I don't go there!

Thank you for pitching in Peter, Steve. Appreciated. Take care.