8 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2018 11:46 AM by daniellobo01

Flash CS5 to AIR can't access timestamp server won't install on Windows.

ScottGMorgan

I am maintaining a legacy project created in Flash CS5 using Air 2.2 SDK (xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/2.0"). I have tried upgrading to a newer SDK but the application doesn't compile and there is no budget to investigate and rewrite to a more recent SDK. Up until recently the app has worked great and I have had no problems compiling from Flash CS5. Recently I am getting a "Can't access timestamp server" error message when compiling from CS5. If I compile with no timestamp the app cannot be installed on a Windows PC (works fine on a Mac), the installer throws an error saying the package is corrupted. When I hit https://timestamp.geotrust.com/tsa I see a 404 from which I read is normal. I have upgraded my version of Java as one forum responder suggested and nothing. I am compiling from OSX Yosemite 10.10.2 using Flash Pro CS5. The app can be downloaded here http://www.scottgmorgan.com/clients/strut/mtk/new-api/MTKSymonsGate.air. Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Flash CS5 to AIR can't access timestamp server won't install on Windows.
          Shashank. Level 1

Hi Scott,

While installing shared .air from above link, i can see it is requesting https://timestamp.geotrust.com/tsa on windows machine, whereas there is no such ping goes to that particular server if i install on mac.

May i know is there any particular resource you are pulling from that server.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Flash CS5 to AIR can't access timestamp server won't install on Windows.
            ScottGMorgan Level 1

I myself am not pulling anything from that server. The AIR installer does and I have no control over that. During compile it throws an error saying it can't access that server, and gives me the option to disable timestamping which I do because it is the only option I have to actually compile the FLA to an AIR file. This has been working for 5+ years until recently. If there is a config where I can change that please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

• 3. Re: Flash CS5 to AIR can't access timestamp server won't install on Windows.
              Shashank. Level 1

Hi Scott,

Thank you for confirming , ADT uses TSA for following purpose.

-tsa Specifies the URL of an RFC3161-compliant timestamp server to time-stamp the digital signature. If no URL is specified, a default time-stamp server provided by Geotrust is used. When the signature of an AIR application is time-stamped, the application can still be installed after the signing certificate expires, because the timestamp verifies that the certificate was valid at the time of signing.

and since Geotrust TSA is not working currently, you can try packaging with command line and may specify some other tsa url. You can get different signing options from Adobe AIR * ADT code signing options.

Please let me know if you still face any issue.

-Shashank

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Flash CS5 to AIR can't access timestamp server won't install on Windows.
                ScottGMorgan Level 1

Thanks Shashank, very helpful. Just wondering if there is somewhere in the AIR SDK I can update a path to the TSA url? I keep getting errors, and reference issues when I work from the command line. Just looking for the easiest possible solution so I don't have to change a bunch of code. Like I said, this is a legacy project, the source hasn't been majorly updated in 5+ years. All compilation for hundreds of versions of this project have all happened from the Flash IDE and wouldn't mind keeping it that way.

Thanks,

Scott

• 5. Re: Flash CS5 to AIR can't access timestamp server won't install on Windows.
                  AndrewFrost

Hi

Have just looked at this following your facebook post and got curious so I tried this... I'm not sure whether it is perfect since I get the install warnings about unknown publisher etc but I'm just using a key store that I created here, hopefully it's possible for you to fill in the missing bits though!

What I did:

1) Unzip your .air file into a folder "MTKSymonsGate" (apart from "hash" which didn't extract)

2) Pull out the META-INF/AIR/application.xml file to my working folder and delete the META-INF folder

3) Delete the mimetype file as well from the MTKSymonsGate root, so you just have 'app.swf' left there with four subfolders

4) Created a key store using Flash Pro CC and its AIR config settings

5) Package using a recent AIR SDK and a bunch of defaults:

adt -package -storetype PKCS12 -keystore af.p12 -storepass af -keypass af -target air test.air application.xml -C MTKSymonsGate .

For the publisher set-up I'd assume you have a certificate that's properly signed that can be used? Have just been looking at the below link but I've not tried it myself; when I install the .air file resulting from the above command, I get the 'UNKNOWN'/'UNRESTRICTED' warning shown in their second screenshot on this page:

Adobe AIR * Digitally signing an AIR file

Hope it helps though...?

cheers

Andrew

• 6. Re: Flash CS5 to AIR can't access timestamp server won't install on Windows.
                    scottm75953591

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your response. I was able to follow all of your steps and create the .air file however I am seeing the same error when I try to install on a Windows machine? You can look at the updated file packaged with your method using the latest AIR SDK and a certificate created in Flash Professional CC. Is there any way you can send me the version you created to see if I can install it on my PC? http://www.scottgmorgan.com/clients/strut/mtk/new-api/MTKSymonsGate.air

Thanks,

Scott

• 7. Re: Flash CS5 to AIR can't access timestamp server won't install on Windows.
                      scottm75953591 Level 1

To make this more interesting. I installed a windows VM on my mac, downloaded a trial of Flash IDE and compiled and published the project on Windows. That version will install on Windows but now won't install on a mac. Seems like whatever platform you publish on is what it can be installed on. Remember when the whole point of Air was cross platform development I can't believe no one else has run into this issue? Am I the only one still using Air for a desktop application?

• 8. Re: Flash CS5 to AIR can't access timestamp server won't install on Windows.
                        daniellobo01

3 years later and there does not seem to be a solution for this. I am running on Mac

• Adobe Animate CS17 breaks because of obsolete timestamp server
                        • Adobe Animate CS18 only support 2048 encryption. You can change the key and repackage it but ultimately when running AIR app it will complain that the valid key cannot be found.
                        • Trying to install Adobe Animate CS15.2. Eventually I managed to download, but installation fails. When speaking to Adobe they say that this version is no longer supported.
                        • It is recommended you install Adobe Support Advisor to resolve any installation issues, but this is no longer available.

Realistically I think the only solution is to use the command line to manually change the time server for Adobe Animate CS17, but I really am not sure how to even start with this.

This is the first time I have worked with an AIR app and it is proving to be a steep learning curve!