21 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 8:08 AM by ECBowen

Mac Video Cards for After Effects

ProdEdit1

I am upgrading to a new video card. I am looking at the GTX780 Ti at the moment. Any suggestions? I do heavy AE work and editing all in CC 2014.

Computer specs:

Processor  2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory  48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC

Software  OS X 10.9.5

Would like to see what everyone thinks. I don't really care about the 3D Ray Trace since it is dead now because of Cinema, which is what I use anyways. I'm open to other cards that might be cheaper or what you think might have faster performance. A lot of what I have read here on the boards are a little old.

Flipper

• 1. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
          DigitalSpatula Adobe Community Professional

Hi Flipper,

AE doesn't really take advantage of graphics cards currently. You are correct in stating that the ray tracing is accelerated but DOA. On the other hand, PremierePro has many effects and features that are GPU accelerated and much more to come with the new release, which features an incredible new color panel that is very much GPU accelerated.

The 780 is a really good card but there are a few caveats:

•   High End Gaming Cards have different variations , which could be over clocking, enhanced cooling, etc depending on the manufacturer .  One needs to do a bit more homework in terms of assessing reliability, fan noise, coil whine, etc among the offerings . You didn't mention gaming, but you did mention After Effects and Premiere Pro - the benefit for the Quadro here is stability and certified drivers .
          •   The power requirement will be quite a bit more, although your setup tells me you already have (need) a very solid power supply .
          •   Kiss 10 bit goodbye
          • For OpenCl capabilities, do your research carefully . The perception is that newer Nvidia cards have de-emphasized this a bit ; higher end AMD cards do quite a bit better in this area according to some of the recent benchmarks.

I would recommend the AMD W9100 or W8100 for Adobe CC work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Steve

• 2. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
            ProdEdit1 Level 1

Nope, no gaming. This is a pure work machine.

I have stayed away form AMD cards because of everything I have heard/read about performance and the the whole CUDA thing. Guess I should look into the AMD cards a little.

The boss wants to keep the budget a little closer to the $500 range though. That knocks out a lot of cards. Heck at this point, almost anything will be better than the 5770 that's in the box now.

• 3. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For Adobe Premiere GPU acceleration the CUDA cards are much better than any AMD card from all the test results that we have seen on our Windows Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) website. and unless you have an expensive 10-bit monitor the clear way to go is the GeForce GTX cards.

• 4. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                ProdEdit1 Level 1

I'm not concerned about 10-bit.

I know that the GeForce cards run a little hotter and power consumption, blah, blah, blah..

I just need to get a card that can play 4K files and not skip like a rock on water and After Effects will run smoothly. I am mostly in AE for heavy graphics and do final editing in Premiere with a little Resolve thrown in for good measure.

The big problem I see is the approved list by Adobe. I see a ton of cards for the PC but only a handful for the Mac. I was looking at the GTX 680(MX) with 4 gig ram, but I would rather go with a card that has a little more horse power and memory bandwidth like the 780 Ti while staying in the $500 range.

Wish Adobe would update their support list. There are fantastic cards like the GTX 980/970, but they are not on the list. I don't want to get a card that won't work to the full potential with AE. Man this is hard stuff to figure out.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to help out. This is why I love this community.

• 5. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a company that modifies nVidia cards so they are Mac compatible.  I just finally found the site after a little searching.  Featured Products - MacVidCards.coM.  If you get one of the GTX 900 series not only will you get the regular digital monitor outputs but you will get HDMI 2.0 which means 4k over HDMI

Do not worry about Adobe updating their list.  These cards GTX 970 and GTX 980 and the Ttian's all are working with Premiere.  The more video RAM you can afford the better they will work with 4K, 5K and 6K.

• 6. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The load AE puts on the video card since Ray tracer ahs been phased out is minimal. If your using C4D then I would suggest looking at Octane. If you do look at Octane then you need an Nvidia card which is what you want anyway. A 970GTX card would be more than enough for AE. Get the 980GTX if you plan to get Octane. The Titan X would work on the Mac if it's flashed so the power management adjusts to the power available or you get a 2nd PSU.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                      ProdEdit1 Level 1

Hhhmmmmm......so most of the render and openGL stuff is still going to run through the CPU instead of the GPU? I thought, from all that I have read, most of the processes would run through the GPU which would "speed up" After Effects. Maybe I need to re-read some of the stuff I've looked at. Like this article I read here on the Adobe site. GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects CS6 and After Effects CC | After Effects region of interest

Guess I'm thinking about this all wrong?

• 8. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                        DigitalSpatula Adobe Community Professional

In AE, Ray Tracing (which is unusable for many reasons) is the only thing really accelerated with a GPU.

• 9. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects

The Open GL load on the GPu's in AE is minimal. Open GL isn't the same as GPU acceleration and it's primarily for drawing out in regards to AE. Ray tracing as mentioned above was the GPU acceleration for AE but that is gone now. So the load is almost all CPU and Ram. If you use C4D though then Octane is the GPU acceleration render software available. Then you have GPU acceleration options for the C4D work.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                            ProdEdit1 Level 1

what kind of card should I be looking at then? Suggestions anyone?

I would love the GTX 980/970, but if it just sits idle most of the time, it's hard to justify the expense. I feel like I'm beating my head against a rock. I might just be over thinking it. I just want to get a performance boost over the AMD 5770 I currently have, which won't be hard. I've been looking at so many benchmarks my head hurts.

• 11. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                              ProdEdit1 Level 1

I guess I should be looking at more of the performance in Premiere than in AE since the is not much in the way of GPU acceleration? If it rocks in premiere then in turn it should rock in AE?

I'm sorry if I seem thick headed, just trying to wrap my brain around all of this.

• 13. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects

If your using Premiere as well or AME then get the 970GTX card. If not then get the 960GTX card.

Eric

ADK

• 14. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                                  jasonvp Level 3

Bill Gehrke wrote:

There is a company that modifies nVidia cards so they are Mac compatible.

I've used one of Dave's cards in my old 2010 Mac Pro for a few years and it just works.  He does great work with the NVidia firmware so that you A)get full PCI speeds, and B)get the grey Apple boot screen.  What you might be chasing after installing one of his cards: driver compatibility.  Apple has been bit shaky and unreliable about including the right NVidia drivers during OS X updates or upgrades; which would leave you with an unusable machine until remedied.  NVidia almost always released a follow-up "web" driver that addresses it, but it can take days if not weeks after an OS X update for that to appear.

I'm not trying to frighten you away from considering Dave's cards.  Just understand what you're getting yourself into.  Don't be quick to upgrade your OS X install until you've verified that your card will be supported when you reboot.

• 15. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                                    ProdEdit1 Level 1

That is some great info to have.

• 16. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                                      ProdEdit1 Level 1

So, if I were to look at the getting a card from MacVids, I'm  looking at having (possible) issues with driver support on OS updates. Is this something is for all these cards on his site or just the newer ones like the GTX 9XX series? My boss might be some kind of upset with me if I run into a crashing issue on a card I suggested.

• 17. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                                        jasonvp Level 3

ProdEdit1 wrote:

So, if I were to look at the getting a card from MacVids, I'm  looking at having (possible) issues with driver support on OS updates. Is this something is for all these cards on his site or just the newer ones like the GTX 9XX series? My boss might be some kind of upset with me if I run into a crashing issue on a card I suggested.

Dave will have a better feel for what chipsets work with which version of OS X than I do.  Hopefully you're not upgrading OS X right in the middle of a project anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.  Riiiiiight?   But more to the point: it won't be crashing issues.  It'll just be a lack of driver support for the card.  The machine will boot and you'll get a dark screen if the driver doesn't support the chipset.

Are you planning on moving to Yosemite any time soon?  If not, then I wouldn't worry about driver issues.  Mavericks (10.9.5) is done with OS updates other than security patches.  In other words: there won't be a 10.9.6.  So if you stay on Mavericks, you're good to go.  If you decide to move to Yosemite, make sure your card is supported there first.

Check with Dave.  He's an invaluable source of information when it comes to the NVidia chipsets, OS X support, and whatnot.

• 18. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                                          ProdEdit1 Level 1

AH, got it. No I'm not upgrading to Yosemite any time soon.

Should I be looking at the AMD cards? I have kinda stayed away form those because of the whole CUDA thing.

• 19. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                                            jasonvp Level 3

ProdEdit1 wrote:

Should I be looking at the AMD cards? I have kinda stayed away form those because of the whole CUDA thing.

As with all things: it depends.  Right now and for the foreseeable future, NVidia is it.  CUDA is far more mature than OpenCL is at this point in time.  NVidia makes some exceptionally powerful GPUs.  And the Adobe team has more experience with the CUDA API than they do with OpenCL.

Things may (and likely will) change, but how quickly is anyone's guess.  CUDA is a dead end in the long term because it's proprietary.  It'll never have the support that OpenCL will eventually because OpenCL is: open.  What's "eventually" mean?  I have no idea, and neither does anyone else.  Thus far, Apple has thrown all of their weight into OpenCL as the GPGPU API to use: see the current Mac Pros only available with AMD GPUs.  They're betting others will follow suit and either contribute to or use the APIs further.

My suspicion is that for the life left in your Mac Pro: stick with NVidia.  CUDA isn't going anywhere any time soon.

• 20. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects
                                              ProdEdit1 Level 1

I just read this article. http://www.studio1productions.com/blog/?p=352

It says that there is a performance issue with the GTX970 card in premiere while dealing with 4K+ footage when the ram on the card is pushed over 3.5gig. The performance slows down dramatically.

I'm really starting to hate looking for video card. haha!

• 21. Re: Mac Video Cards for After Effects

Adobe very rarely ever pushes the Vram on the card over 3.5GB. I have done significant testing with 4K red and CC 2014 with the GPU accelerated debayering and the vram peaks at 3.2GB most of the time. If you using Davinci then that would definitely push beyond that 3.5GB vram. If your concerned then get the 980GTX. However I suspect that ram area will likely never get used on the 970GTX card in Adobe.

Eric

ADK