6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2015 6:26 AM by graphicsBPC

Alternate layout question

graphicsBPC Level 1

I've created a 6 page document and I decided to do an alternate layout with a different graphic on the master - my question is how can i switch and now make my alternate layout my "SOURCE" document and my old "source" document my alternate layout one.  Can't seem to find the solution. Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Alternate layout question
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm getting confused with your description. Do you have two different 6-page documents, or one? What does it mean to make your "alternative layout the 'SOURCE' document"?

• 2. Re: Alternate layout question
            graphicsBPC Level 1

I have just one indesign document with 6 pages - I realized I had started working on the alternate layout and liked that better than the source document (but I want to keep it for different graphic)

• 3. Re: Alternate layout question

Alternate layouts are really just Sections set up in the Pages panel. If you don't need to original version pages, you can just delete those pages. Then use the Links panel to relink the graphic on the master page to the graphic you want to use.

• 4. Re: Alternate layout question
                graphicsBPC Level 1

Oh, for some reason I was thinking it was like Version Cue (which was a pain).  I'm actually doing a 2 design layouts on a wedding invite and they want the same exact information on each one but different artwork on each one so i was trying to figure out how to update text on one layout to another especially for small little picky changes

• 5. Re: Alternate layout question

You could do that two ways: (1) There's a Place and Link feature (Edit > Place and Link) where you can place a story and link it multiple places in a document. When the parent version is changed, it's changed elsewhere.

(2) There are also the Content Collector and Content Placer tools introduced in InDesign CS6. You can collect multiple pieces of content into a mini-panel with the Content Collector tool. Switching to the Content Placer tool, you can place them in a different document. On that mini-panel, there's a Link checkbox which creates a link from the original content to the repurposed content.

• 6. Re: Alternate layout question
                    graphicsBPC Level 1

Thank you so very much - I will definitely look into that - just wanted to do 2 versions of the layout and when changed one thing the other would change. Been working in Indesign for almost 8 years and the saying rings true "Learn something new every day".