2 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 2:00 AM by olafdruemmer

Automation of Changing Tags

edm72164965

I have several documents that I need to make accessible to screen readers.  These documents have a lot of empty Paragraph (P) tags that I need to convert to artifacts and then delete the empty Paragraph tags.  I also need to break out the bullets from lists (LI tags) and move them to Labels.  I didn't really see any way to use Actions to get this done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Automation of Changing Tags
          CtDave Level 5

Not possible using an Acrobat Action.

You'll have to work in the PDF's structure tree and do the remediation manually.

Suggest frequent "save as" to an incrementing file name (file -- file01 -- filenn) as there is no "undo".

A frequent cause of "P" tags with no content is the use of the Enter / Return key in the authoring file to provide white space. j

If, in the authoring application, appropriate whitespace above / below an authoring application's Headings and Styles is used then any use of Enter / Return does only what it is meant to.

That is to "carriage return" to start a new paragraph of text flow.

Be well...

• 2. Re: Automation of Changing Tags
            olafdruemmer Level 2

If you have to do this more than occasionally, you could use the Acrobat plug-in "pdfaPilot" from callas software – it allows you to remove all empty group and block level tags with the click of a button, or even in batch mode (for all PDFs in a given folder).  It also helps you with artifacting any content not referenced by the structure tree and a bunch of other tasks, again, with a click of a button. [Disclaimer: I work for callas software, my views on our products might be biased ;-) ]