24 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 11:27 AM by cat_girl

Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5

cat_girl

I purchased a copy of Adobe LightRoom 5 in March, 2015. I have tried downloading the update that it says is available.  Adobe records indicate that I signed up for a 30 day trial of Adobe Lightroom, and it won't download my update, as it wants me to pay!! I did sign up for a CC trial in March and have determined that at this time, I do not wish to subscribe to CC.  I just want to update (NOT UPGRADE) my paid copy of Adobe Lightroom.  I can't find anybody to talk to or help me. How can I get the Adobe records to reflect that I have a valid purchased copy and am entitled to an upgrade?

• 1. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
          dj_paige Level 9

There is no free update available. There is only the paid upgrade available. 

• 2. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
            cat_girl Level 1

After I paid over $100.00 for Adobe Light Room 5, had it for about 6 weeks, was able to upgrade it when I first installed it on my mac to whatever version was the latest at the time, and when notified that another update for version 5 was available I can’t download any more updates to the version I purcased???  Am I understanding correctly?

• 3. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
              cat_girl Level 1

If I deactivate my current version of Adobe Light Room 5 and then reinstall it from the DVD I just purchased, will I then be able to get the correct version of Adobe Light Room 5?

• 4. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Let's slow down just a little bit. What exact version of Lightroom 5 do you have installed? It will tell you in the help menu of Lightroom. If you have updated then it's likely that installing from the DVD will install an older version than what you have been using. So tell us what exact version you have installed, and we will go from there.

• 5. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                  cat_girl Level 1

Thanks for responding so quickly!  I just went into help about, and it says I have version 5.7 and the camera raw version is 8.7.  Here is a snapshot of the CC info on my mac .  As you can see, it says I updated Lightroom CC 28 mins ago, and I started a 30 day trial.  I must have clicked on the wrong thing.  I don’t wish to subscribe on a monthly basis for CC.  I have also been trying to edit my pictures from LR in Photoshop, but it says I don’t have the right filter for the ARW version of my file.  When I try to update the filter in PShop (CS5) it won’t update. I am so frustrated - I just want to use what I purchased until I am ready to go further.  I do not use these programs frequently.  How do I get Adobe to recognize I have a legal purchased copy of LR, and how can I remove the CC trial?  Any help is very appreciated. (I actually installed LR5 about 6 weeks ago from the DVD I purchased.) I think I signed up for a trial of LRoom mobile on my iPad, but that has expired.  Thanks again for listening.

• 6. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5

So if I understand you correctly, you have both Lightroom 5.7 and Lightroom CC installed on your computer. I think the notice you are referring to about an update was the confusing notice that was issued when Lightroom CC/6 was released about a week ago. A lot of people have assumed that was an announcement of an update to Lightroom 5 when in reality it was an announcement for an upgrade to the new version. If you still have Lightroom 5.7 installed on your computer then you can simply go to the CC application manager and uninstall Lightroom CC. When you start Lightroom 5.7 and see that notification again you will see a button in the lower left-hand corner that you can click to ignore these notifications. Then you won't see the notice again about the new version. There is one additional update to Lightroom 5 that will take it to version 5.7.1. It is available from the following website: Product updates. If you decide to install this update you might get that notification again about new software being available. If that is the case, and you don't want to upgrade, then just click on the ignore button and you will be able to simply continue using Lightroom 5.

I realize that this update or upgrade process has been extremely confusing to a lot of users. But hang in there and we will try to get you straightened out.

• 7. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                      cat_girl Level 1

I’m not sure I have two versions of LR on my mac.  When I look in Finder, I only see LR 5, but not LR CC.  I think I somehow inadvertently changed my LR5 version to the CC version, when I either did a trial of LR mobile, or tried to update my LR5.  Is that possible? I’m thinking perhaps I should just deactivate and uninstall LR5 and wait until the 11 days are over for my trial and then reinstall it.  Does that make sense?  I still don’t know how I can then edit the files in PS5, however, as PS5 won’t let me update the camera raw filter.  Would I be better off just purchasing Adobe Photoshop Elements and get rid of PS5 and LR5?  Thanks again Jim!

• 8. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5

Lightroom CC will not replace Lightroom 5, any version of Lightroom 5. It is a new version with new features and is installed in addition to whatever version you have been using. Do you know if you have a desktop manager for Lightroom CC? It should show up as a little link in your system tray.

Additionally, I really think the trial version that you have installed is for Lightroom CC. Do you have facial recognition in the library module? And, do you have HDR and panorama features in the develop module?

• 9. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                          cat_girl Level 1

I don’t see anything in my system tray (assuming you mean where the apps are all lined up in the bottom?). I also did a search on desktop manager, and nothing came up.  I don’t think if have a desktop manager.

• 10. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5

Okay, I was trying to post while you were so I'm going to ask this question again. When you open this trial version then you are using, do you see facial recognition (the little face icon) on the toolbar in the library module? And, do you have HDR and panorama features in the develop module?

• 11. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                              cat_girl Level 1

I do not see either one.

• 12. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5

Then if you are actually running the trial version of Lightroom 5, when that trial screen appears that tells you how many days you have remaining there is an option to indicate that you have a serial number. If you choose that option you will be guided to a screen where you can enter the serial number and you will have "activated" the trial version as a full version.

• 13. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                                  cat_girl Level 1

In the top left (in yellow) it says Lightroom mobile trial expired.  Underneath that it says Lightroom 5.  It does not appear to be a trial version.

• 14. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5

That would make sense because Lightroom 5, by itself, it cannot utilize Lightroom Mobile. If you hover your mouse in that area in the upper left-hand corner you can Find a little down arrow that you can click on and deactivate Lightroom Mobile. You don't need to uninstall because apparently you don't have Lightroom CC. The you tried Lightroom Mobile, and the 30 day trial has expired. So all you need to do is make the choice to stop synchronizing (or whatever it is) and you won't see that notice about Lightroom Mobile anymore.

• 15. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                                      cat_girl Level 1

thank you Jim.  Does this also mean that I will not ever be able to update my version of LR 5 to the latest version, or is 5.7 the latest version? If so, I feel bad that I spent over $100 on LR 5 in late Feb or early Mar and now they have LR 6 is mine is no longer updatable.  I do have a serial number for LR 5 - apparently it’s useless.  I’m just disappointed in Adobe - I do appreciate your help and time.

• 16. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5

As I indicated earlier, there is one additional update to Lightroom 5.7.1. I think the only thing it changed was added a couple of new cameras that were in high demand. Your Lightroom 5 serial number isn't useless. You use it to activate Lightroom 5 if you haven't already done that. New versions of software always cost money. It might be unfortunate that you purchased right when you did. But Lightroom 5.7 is still an excellent program. And if it does the job you want it to do everything is fine. Adobe is moving towards encouraging their customers to the $9.95/month subscription plan for Lightroom and Photoshop. I like it. I like always being able to have the latest versions. However, I realize it isn't for everyone. When you start Lightroom now, do you get a screen telling you how many days you have remaining in your trial version?

• 17. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                                          cat_girl Level 1

I do not get a screen showing how many days I have left of LR.  Probably because I entered my serial number when I installed it. I don’t mind using the version I have, however, I can’t edit raw files in PS 5 because my husband’s Hasselblad camera filter isn’t in PS 5 and I can’t update it the raw filter file.  Do you think it would if I purchased Adobe PhotoShop Elements 13?  I’m also wondering if Adobe would let me upgrade to 6 after spending money so recently on 5.

• 18. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5

Here is a link to all the cameras that are supported by Camera Raw and Lightroom, as well as what version is required for each camera model. There are a number of Hasselblad models that are supported. You will have to see if your model is supported, and if so what version is required.

Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

Of course Adobe will "let" you upgrade to Lightroom 6. But you would have to pay the upgrade price of $79. Just be aware that this wouldn't change the capabilities of your Photoshop CS5. If your camera is one of the models that is supported by Camera Raw, you could download the latest DNG converter and create digital negative copies of your raw images that you can work on in Photoshop CS5 and Camera Raw 6.7. Photoshop Elements 13 would probably have support for all models that Camera Raw now supports. However, Camera Raw when running with Photoshop Elements does not have all the features that it does in Photoshop. I don't know whether that would be an issue for you or not.

• 19. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                                              cat_girl Level 1

Thanks Jim. You have been very helpful and I have a lot to think about. I really appreciate the time you took for my questions   

Sent from my iPad

• 20. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5

You're most welcome. Good luck!

• 21. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                                                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since you purchased LR 5 relatively recently, perhaps you could get a free upgrade to LR 6?

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/upgrade-policy-product-announcement.htm l

• 22. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                                                    cat_girl Level 1

Would love to do that - however I don't know how.  Can't find anywhere to get a real person at Adobe.  Any advice?

• 23. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                                                      meeganw82953922

Is there a way to upgrade from lightroom 4 to 5? I cant find any links

• 24. Re: Can't download update to Adobe Lightroom 5
                                                        cat_girl Level 1

I'm not sure - haven't seen anything on Adobe's web site.  Adobe makes it sooooo difficult if you need to talk to someone.