2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 8:47 PM by agneslth

Is it possible to retain all the brush strokes, textures and layers from Adobe iPad drawing apps to illustrator CC?

agneslth

Firstly I would like to say "Hi" to everybody, for I am a completely newbie in this forum !

As I am more and more in love with the Adobe drawing apps on my iPad air 2, and as a Adobe illustrator CS6 user, I am seriously considering subscribing the illustrator CC simply for the full assess to all my iPad drawings in vector format instead of getting jpg or png files.

Is it possible to retain all the brush strokes, textures and layers EXACTLY as the original drawing from Adobe drawing apps, such as Adobe Draw or Sketch from my iPad to illustrator CC?

I have actually downloaded the trial version of illustrator CC, I noticed the work flow is a bit different from CS6 (with CS6, I use image trace) and I can send the drawing directly to illustrator CC, yet I still got a png / jpg drawing which I need to work further with the following steps in order to turn it to a true vector format:

Object> sketch and Line art > expand path

and of course all the layers are gone with the above method. And all the original textures and brush strokes are replaced with control line like images...

And when I open a file in Photoshop sketch a message "version 2 of the adobe photoshop sketch file format is not supported in this version of adobe illustrator" pops up and the file though can open but was in jpg / png?

Have I missed anything? Or it is becasue I do not have a full CC subscription? :/

• 1. Re: Is it possible to retain all the brush strokes, textures and layers from Adobe iPad drawing apps to illustrator CC?
          KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional

Easy question first:

The error message doesn't appear to mean anything - just click "OK" and it works fine for me.

As for the conversion of the brushes and artwork, it's a little more difficult. 

In Illustrator, (on my test), the strokes all got a generic brush applied.   To get a better brush, I just clicked the stroke path, then selected a new brush.

AND

If you use Adobe Brush (mobile app), then you can design your own brushes and port them over to Photoshop or Illustrator.

BUT

There are some things I didn't expect with Adobe Brush in Illustrator that I hadn't experienced in Photoshop and using with Sketch/Draw

The Brush behaves differently in the applications, so when you're in Adobe Brush, there are buttons to help you see how it will look in different applications.

PLUS

I can't figure out how to get my "BASIC" brush library to sync with my CC Illustrator brush library.   I probably shouldn't have saved my brushes in there?

If you plan for a workflow from Sketch to Illustrator, Save your brushes in a custom CC library (on your iPad), then the answer is: kind of.

The brush for Sketch behaves a little like Illustrator brushes, but it appears to be a png or other bitmap.

The brush for Illustrator is made of vector art.

You can't save two.  I can't figure out how you can duplicate it, but you can edit it back and forth, and save it.

In Brush, create your custom brushes for Sketch.

Make your Illustration

Send your Illustration to Illustrator

Go back to Brush, convert your custom brushes for Illustrator

go to Illustrator, convert your artwork to outlines

in Brush Library, download and apply your custom brushes.

It is NOT optimal, but it works.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to retain all the brush strokes, textures and layers from Adobe iPad drawing apps to illustrator CC?
            agneslth Level 1

hi komaruyama,

Thank you so much for your detailed and helpful reply!

Your suggestion to work things around is valuable, I think it will be great for more simple design or drawings.

However, my style of drawing is sometimes quite complicated like below (I made it with Adobe Line on my iPad )

image.jpg

So it would be really time consuming if not impossible to follow your suggestion to turn each and every separately stroke into vector! I know may be the design of Adobe Line is not for drawing such complicated work, but I really love the effect and brush strokes created with such a simple, quick response and user friendly app!

How wonderful if I can send this drawing to illustrator and within a click it will all turn to vector! If it is possible one day, it will be a real game changer!