5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 7:42 AM by ssprengel

Lens-dependent DNG-tags created by DNG converter (CameraCalibration, LensDistortInfo)

Gerein

Hi,

Looking at a collection of DNG-files created by DNG converter, I find that at least 2 tags added are adding lens-dependent processing information (apart from the obvious lens information/specification tags)

(1) It adds 2 (identical) "CameraCalibration" matrices, which seemed to be only determined by the lens-information

(2) It adds a LensDistortInfo

This surprises me because I would have expected that any lens-correction is only applied during processing (e.g., in LR) but not during the initial DNG-conversion. Also, changing lens-profiles in LR doesn't change these values (I assume the change is instead saved in the history/opcodes?).

Background is that I'm developing a small special-purpose DNG-converter (using the DNG SDK) and would like to be as close to Adobe's DNG-files as possible.

(a) Where does the DNG-converter take the information for these tags from? ACR's lcp-files?

(b) Is there any other information written to the DNGs that's lens-dependent?

(c) If leaving these out from my DNG-files, will there be any difference in the developed pictures if I apply lens-correction in LR manually?

Many thanks!