5 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2015 1:05 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Problem Driving Cintiq Comanion 2 with GTX570

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I'm sorry this is not strictly PremPro related, but you were all enormously helpful when I built my system three and a half years ago.  I was proud to have it in 4th place in the PPBM5 Results for a wee while, and it is still ranked 17th, although I know that list has not been updated for quite a while.

My current problem revolves around adding a Cintiq Companion 2 to my set up.  My GTX570 will only drive two displays, and I was going to need the Displayport for the CC2, so I got hold of a USB-to-HDMI adapter to drive my second monitor. After much messing about I have discovered that the USB-to-HDMI adapter was causing major problems with the CC2 when it was connected to my desktop.  That being that Panning and Rotate Canvas in Photoshop was so clunky as to make it unusable!

I can't find better drivers for the USB-to-HDMI adapter, and I was hoping to get another year or two out of my system that still works very nicely, so I am reluctant to spend serious money replacing the GTX570 for the sake of driving additional screens, when I shall be upgrading the entire system in a year or two.

My MB is a Z79-UD5 in a CM Storm Trooper case.  Is there a video card that would match the GTX570, will drive four screens, and includes at least one Displayport, and won't break the bank?

Thanks for reading.

• 1. Re: Problem Driving Cintiq Comanion 2 with GTX570
          JEShort01 Level 4

Trevor,

Actually you have a X79-UD5 with a OC'd 6-core! An oldie, but a goodie . I was thinking how did a Z79 (4-core) do so well on PPBM5, and went to the PPBM5 site which shows your 17th place specs.

If you are using Premiere Pro CC, then do take note that the newer and newer versions seem to be tapping the use of video cards more and more.

I would suggest that you select one of Nvidia's GTX 900 series cards. The 970 is a very solid performing card, but I think in your situation I would choose a 980 model and NOT replace it when you build your next system. I think that the 3x displayport ports (on EVGA models anyway) will be more "future proof" than the connectors they selected for the GTX 970 models.

I know very little about how a GTX 960 would perform, but it would probably buy you the next 1.5 years if you're really bent on building an "all new" system down the road.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Problem Driving Cintiq Comanion 2 with GTX570

Thanks Jim, and sorry about the MB mistake.  I have been looking at specs since I posted, and liking the 900 series cards.  It actually surprised me how much difference there is in performance between my 570, and a 970! I had been thinking in terms of stopgap, but like you say, I could put the 570 back in to the current system, and move a 980 to the next build.  Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Problem Driving Cintiq Comanion 2 with GTX570

I'm homing in the Gigabyte GV-N970WF3OC-4GD GTX970 4G OC Winforce 3X, because its bang for buck advantage over the GTX980.  My concern now is that will have to update the MB firmware, which I am nervous about because last time I tried to update the MB firmware, I could no longer boot to my C: drive, which has a pair of 256Gb SSD in a raid0. 

• 4. Re: Problem Driving Cintiq Comanion 2 with GTX570
                JEShort01 Level 4

Ahhhh, someone else pushing the envelope on speed! I too love the performance that a RAID 0 SSD C: drive provides .

I see how you could be gun-shy on the firmware upgrade after being bit before. I would suggest:

- take photos of all your bios settings

- upgrade the bios

- make sure you go into the bios settings and correct any defaults that would have prevented your 2x RAID 0 boot array from working before the system ever boots into Windows

- boot into Windows

- upgrade to the latest NVidia GTX drivers (should be the same driver for your current and future card)

- turn off, change GPU cards, reboot

BTW, my security blanket for using a RAID 0 boot array includes using StorageCraft ShadowProtect to make a backup of my RAID array so that if I ever have a failure I can restore my system in short order. ShadowProtect is not the most popular drive imaging program, but I love it because it can backup a RAID 0 boot drive, restore it to a single drive (for example if you ever needed to RMA any drive that has issues in the RAID 0 set), and then later cut back over to a RAID array. They do this by some technology that allows revising how Windows boots; it is not a pure "imaging" software in that regard and I think it is even better. I can personally attest to having this work great when I had a 10K Raptor drive in a RAID 0 many years ago that started throwing SMART errors. I never lost any data and was able to cut temporarily over to a single larger HD for a few weeks while the WD Raptor drive was RMA'd.

I don't know about you, but reloading a system is painful and if you don't have an image to restore you have to load lots of software, change lots of settings, and dink with hassles like proving to Adobe that they need to give you another license because one of yours was activated on a system that is no more!

End of sales pitch, and good luck with your upgrade!

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: Problem Driving Cintiq Comanion 2 with GTX570

Thanks Jim.  I run Shadow Protect, and it has saved me grief twice now.