16 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2015 6:34 AM by Steve Grisetti

Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks

stryker4909

After making several highlight videos for recruiting purposes, Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly became too slow to work.  Using a MacBook, I get the pinwheel of death no matter what I ask it to do, and attempting to do anything with video assets other than play them at normal speed causes the video to freeze in place.  Does anyone have any idea what could have changed so rapidly?

• 2. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is this problem on a brand new project, with no media added to it, or is it on a work in progress? It makes a difference.

If the program overall is bogging down, first try going to the preferences and clearing the Media Cache. If that doesn't work, try starting the program while holding down the Cmd+Shift+Option keys on the left side of your keyboard to clear the preference file.

But if this problem is only happening with a project in progress and not with a brand new project, it could be related to your project assets.

• 3. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks
            stryker4909 Level 1

The problem is with the first clip I dragged to the work area out of a number of clips which I already imported into my project assets area.  These same type of clips from the same videographer have always worked fine before.  Thanks for trying to help.

• 4. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks

Have you tried doing what I suggested?

Also, if you open one of your video clips in G Spot or Media Info, what is the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codecs listed? It's the specs of your video that's clearly causing you problems.

• 5. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks
                stryker4909 Level 1

Yes. I tried your suggestions.  Nothing helped, although it seemed to at first.  The properties I could find are as follows:

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 1.2G

Image Size:  1440 x 1080

Frame Rate:  29.97

Source Audio Format:  48000 Hz-16 bit stereo

Project Audio Format:  48000 Hz-32 bit floating point stereo

Pixel Aspect Ratio 1.333

The application is just acting all around weird.  Even the clips I successfully add will only render to certain points, then stop and refuse to finish.  I am a novice with Premier 12, but actually worked with digital editing software back in the late 1990's when I had one of the first digital film companies focusing on youth sports.  In those days, $20,000 investments in equipment as startup were about standard.  These days I am quite lost so far. 

• 6. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks

I still don't see any information on your audio and video codecs, William. Formats and codecs are very different.

BTW, when you're working in Expert view in Premiere Elements, is there a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline when you add new clips? This is an indication of a mismatch between your video and project specs and could well account for your slowdowns.

• 7. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks
                    stryker4909 Level 1

There is a yellow line through the middle of both the audio and video of both the clips that work well and the clips giving me problems, but no line on the top except the usual grey one.  Here is everything from Media Info:

Complete name : /Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus Drive 3/Final Cut Events/11 14 14/Original Media/2014-11-12 20_15_56 (id).mov

Format : MPEG-4

Format profile : QuickTime

Codec ID : qt

File size : 1.05 GiB

Duration : 15mn 22s

Overall bit rate mode : Variable

Overall bit rate : 9 770 Kbps

Encoded date : UTC 2014-11-13 04:39:49

Tagged date : UTC 2014-11-13 04:40:35

Writing library : Apple QuickTime

com.apple.proapps.reel : CANON_HDD

com.apple.proapps.isGood : 0

com.apple.proapps.dataSize : Unknown kind of value!

com.apple.proapps.displayFormat : 1080i60

com.apple.proapps.shootingRate : Unknown kind of value!

com.apple.proapps.videoBitrate : 0

com.apple.proapps.originalFormat : AVCHD 1080i60

com.apple.proapps.pulldown : 1

com.apple.proapps.mediaRate : Unknown kind of value!

com.apple.proapps.timecodeFormat : 1

com.apple.proapps.numberOfAudioChannels : 2

com.apple.proapps.sampleRate : 48000

com.apple.proapps.bitsPerSample : 16

com.apple.quicktime.creationdate : 2014-11-12T19:15:56-0600

com.apple.proapps.manufacturer : Canon

com.apple.proapps.clipFileName : Clip #6

com.apple.proapps.clipID : 000000003d3d7000398218348f97db32f36ff2f78754ee0b92039d0feea8f7f32a41c9a1d2bd201cd1dacdcfa 6b1760c1711304715cc782f17d50e6572d857f05299d40ffcc2a61ad53d2550ef275f0b9451d784fc883594

com.apple.proapps.RADSDKVersion : 3.1

com.apple.proapps.cameraName : CANON_HDD

com.apple.proapps.ingestDate.description : 2014-11-12 23:39:49 -0500

com.apple.quicktime.make : Apple

com.apple.quicktime.model : iMac11,2

com.apple.quicktime.software : Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L4

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames

Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15

Codec ID : avc1

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Bit rate mode : Variable

Bit rate : 8 187 Kbps

Maximum bit rate : 16.0 Mbps

Width : 1 440 pixels

Height : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 29.970 fps

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Interlaced

Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields

Scan order : Top Field First

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.176

Stream size : 900 MiB (84%)

Title : Core Media Video

Color primaries : BT.709

Transfer characteristics : BT.709

Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio

ID : 2

Format : PCM

Format settings, Endianness : Little

Format settings, Sign : Signed

Codec ID : sowt

Source duration : 15mn 22s

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : Front: L R

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth : 16 bits

Stream size : 169 MiB (16%)

Source stream size : 169 MiB (16%)

Title : Core Media Audio

Other

ID : 3

Type : Time code

Format : QuickTime TC

Time code of first frame : 00:00:00;00

Time code, striped : Yes

Title : Core Media Time Code

• 8. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks

If you're not seeing a yellow-orange line along the top of your timeline and you're in Expert view, then your project is set up to match your video and it is performing as efficiently as possible. There must be something else at work.

I assume you've got a relatively new, fast computer. What processor do you have?

Do you have more than one hard drive? Where on your computer are your video clips located?

• 9. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks
                        stryker4909 Level 1

I wish!!! Here are the stats on my MacBook:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F

SMC Version (system): 1.58f17

Serial Number (system): W8012928AGW

Hardware UUID: CE8D987D-C1AA-5D64-A8CD-9039F24561FA

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

The clips are kept on Seagate Backup Plus 3T external hard drives, but I presumed they were imported for the editing work, then exported back out when saved.  The problem is I have no difficulty with this videographer's other clips--hundreds of them--just these few critical ones I need for a kid's high school highlight video to show college coaches where he wants to apply for athletic  scholarships .  His best work is on these 5 or 6 clips. Although I was given other clips I can use and which work fine on my Mac, I hate to leave these best ones out.  Thanks again for your help Steve.

• 10. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks

Your hardware should be able to edit this video, William. So I'd say the bottleneck is your external connection to the files. (Even if you import them into a project, the media files themselves remain on your external hard drive.)

Try creating a new project and copying your files to your computer's main hard drive. When you import THOSE media files into your project, they should work perfectly!

• 11. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks
                            stryker4909 Level 1

I tried that with some benefit.  The audio worked normally, and the video was normal until I fast forwarded and stopped where I wanted to work on the clip.  At that point, once again, the video froze up and that was that.  I did notice, and this may mean nothing, that all of his other clips end in "mov." , whereas the problem clips end in "(id).mov.".  I have no idea why this would be so, but it may have some significance of which I am unaware.  If not, I just can't see what is wrong. 

• 12. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks

Yes, that could be an indication that the clips are not all the same format/codec, which could account for the slowdown.

But as I said, if you're not seeing a yellow-orange above the clips along the top of the timeline in Expert view, that's not the case.

• 13. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

stryker4909

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. All that being said, your problem files description ...(id).mov caught my attention.

What is the complete file name for one of these problem files. I found one online name .....(id).mov-HD.mp4. Do you have anything in your file name beyond (id).mov?

What happens if you rename the file

a. if you now see (id).mov, then just remove the (id)

b. if you have now (id),mov-HD.mp4, then just remove the (id).mov-HD, leaving just a .mp4 file.

I took "a" and "b" into Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit, and it did not make a difference...both imported into the program without issue.

I am not sure why Mac would be renaming some of your files, but could it be the renaming process that is slowing things down. Are there file storage/saving locations that need to be explored? Does the file name to the left of the (id).mov change also when the (id).mov appears?

Just some thoughts.

ATR

• 14. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks
                                  stryker4909 Level 1

Thanks.  Just changing the file name didn't work, but running the video through photoshop and changing the filename there, then exporting the video back to my hard drive with the new name made the video completely normal.  Since I have a number of video files like this, and they have held me up for days now, the help I received on this forum was invaluable.  Thanks so much to Steve and A. T..

• 15. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

stryker

Thank you for the great news on an interesting question and result. Great job.

The information that you reported will be appreciated by all who find themselves in the same situation that you faced and are looking for answers.

Best wishes moving forward in your Premiere Elements Mac projects.

ATR

• 16. Re: Adobe Elements Editor 12 suddenly too slow to work after working perfectly for weeks

Great news, William! Please be sure to mark this question as answered!