6 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2015 3:04 AM by Just Shoot Me

Lightroom 6 DNG Bug

Star_KillA

Hello everybody,

I have just encountered a bug ( its a bug for me ) in LR6. When I convert RAW files to Dng files, LR6 apparently saves development settings into the DNG.
      My files from 2014, all edited with LR5, dont contain those settings. They are normal dng files. My LR6, however, exports changes for brightness, contrast etc. into the dng file.
      As far as I understand the matter, this is completly wrong. I ran some tests which proof my point.
      When I changed the development settings, ( colour stuff) the converted dng looked very different than the first dng.
      This cant be right.

Greetings

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 DNG Bug
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think it depends on WHEN you convert to DNG:

On Import the DNGs are imported with Adobe default settings, although you can manually save settings to the DNGs using a menu option.

On Export DNGs always contain the current LR adjustments, as far as I know.

I am less sure about what happens when you convert to a DNG after Import but not using Export.

It is unclear which process you’re using to convert to DNG, since you’ve said “export” as well as “convert”.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 DNG Bug
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If Auto Save XMP is on or you manually save the data, it's supposed to be saved within a DNG. This isn't anything new with respect to LR6. And you do want the edits saved in the DNG container I'd suspect. Check your catalog preferences and see that Auto Save XMP is OFF if you don't want this behavior.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 DNG Bug
              Star_KillA Level 1

You are absolutely right, I mixed the meanings of export and convert.
              What I wanted to say was "convert" and not export.
              So I think converting the file to dng should not save the current development into the new file  AND , as far as I know, it did not in the past. (LR5)

I have a question concerning your XMP suggestion. After entering settings, I found something like ( I use the German version ) "Include development settings from JPEG TIFF PNG and PSD files". It is located above "Save changes into XMP"
              Save changes to XMP is deactivated ,however, the  "Include development settings from JPEG TIFF PNG and PSD files" is activated.
              I do not understand this option, could it solve my problem ?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 DNG Bug
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

With DNG files of any type, Converted from other RAW file formats, Native DNG files created by a camera, whatever, the edits made are always stored within that DNG file. As opposed to creating a Sidecar XMP file.

If you take any other raw file and make edits to it then Convert/Export/Whatever that file to a DNG it will included all the edits you made. If you use the Adobe DNG converter program to FIRST convert raw files to DNG's then they will have no edits. If you use Lightroom to either Copy As DNG on import or Convert/Export to DNG after importing those newly created DNG files will have the Default LR settings, IE they will have Edits applied.

Storing of edits within the actual DNG file has been the way LR worked from the very start, LR1, and Adobe Camera Raw before LR came out.

In fact I think it is a FEATURE of the DNG file format. So you don't have an extra file hanging around, the XMP sidecar file.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 DNG Bug
                  Star_KillA Level 1

Apparently, I am just utterly stupid.
                  Thank you

EDIT:
                  Last questions: 1.Even though my editing is included, the DNG is fully capable of all cool RAW things ?
                                           2. The converted DNG looks very different compared to the original RAW, using the windows explorer and the Microsoft Camera Raw Codec. Is this normal ?

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 DNG Bug
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Star_KillA wrote:

Apparently, I am just utterly stupid.
                    Thank you

EDIT:
                    Last questions: 1.Even though my editing is included, the DNG is fully capable of all cool RAW things ?
                                             2. The converted DNG looks very different compared to the original RAW, using the windows explorer and the Microsoft Camera Raw Codec. Is this normal ?

Not sure what you mean by all the Cool Raw Things but yes the Actual Raw Data is NEVER changed. The edits are "stored" inside the DNG file itself, Stored meaning Added To the file not changing the raw sensor data.