6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 12:45 PM by InklingBooks

control image size export

lisar2002

Hello,

I'm working with an exported file from indesign. All the images were exported small - like they were in the layout. I have since asked for the indesign file from the author and played around with different export features. I exported at 150ppi 600px and they still appeared the same size i the EPUB and there appears to be no CSS affecting the sizing.

Many of the images are figures, graphs and tables that are unreadable in the size indesign is exporting. I want to change those images to full width of the screen.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

• 1. Re: control image size export
          Pariah Burke Adobe Community Professional

Hi, Lisar.

In the EPUB - Reflowable Export Options dialog go to the Object pane (photo below) and change the CSS Size dropdown field. That's what controls the sizes for the images overall. You typically want Relative to Text Flow, which will take the image and scale it up or down relative to the width of the text as viewed in the ebook. Note that it's all relative. If you have an image that, in InDesign, is half the width of the page, Relative to Text Flow will make it half the width of the ebook page.

c06f001.png

If you see the same results after changing that setting, the individual images might have their own export settings. If you right-click on an image choose Object Export Options, on the EPUB and HTML pane you'll see similar sizing controls. You can change them there, or, back in the above dialog, enable the checkbox beside Ignore Object Export Settings.

• 2. Re: control image size export
            Yves Apel Level 2

Hi,

Create a new object style (IDCC 2014 or newer) and set you rasterizing settings under Export options > EPUB and HTML.

To get the images full width, set Size > Custom Width > 100%

Apply this style to your images.

2015-05-11_07-10-03.png

• 3. Re: control image size export
              Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Hi Lisar,

Thanks Yves for mentioning the Size options of Object Export options.

Yes option Size in Object--> Object export Options-->EPub & HTML -->Size is used to govern the size of the object to be exported in epub.

You have multiple options to play with there, like fixed will keep the size same as InDesign Layout.

Relative to text flow will relatively grow the size as the display screen increases or decreases.

Relative to text size will emit the values in ems,or you  can enter your custom width or height in last two options.

Try this.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team.

• 4. Re: control image size export

Hi!

Someone sent me here because I'm having the same problem, and I did what Apel Yves said but I'm still getting images filling only like... 75% of the screen on the iPad (portrait orientation), and the only way for me to see them full size is to double tap on them. It's the first time I'm doing this so I'm wondering: is it even possible to get images displaying full screen automatically in an ePub? Or is the double tapping inevitable? Because it's clearly not working for me, and my images have the right resolution (I've tried them all anyway). Any help greatly appreciated!

• 5. Re: control image size export
                  Yves Apel Level 2

The setting mentioned above tells the reader to display the image at full width of the available space. But some readers such as iBooks add an additional margin to this space so the image might only take about 75% of the screen in the default view. In current or previous versions of iBooks, you can't control this. Maybe in a future version.

• 6. Re: control image size export
                    InklingBooks

I'm currently wrestling with this problem. Images in an epub book display fine in iBooks. They look awful In Adobe Digital Editions, typically very tall and thin. Unfortunately, to pass muster as Smashwords, those images must check out in ADE. And the only scheme I've found that works with ADE  is setting the size to Fixed, which make the image much smaller than they need to be. None of the other size options work.

Why does this problem even exist? Perhaps 99% of the time we want ID to write out images that always display proportionally. We should not have to jump through hoops, trying this and then trying that to get that result. The epub code that ID writes should always force height and width to be proportional unless we do something to tell it otherwise.

At the very least, epub export options should give us a check box that says, "Keep height and width proportional in resizing."