18 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 10:29 PM by Steven L. Gotz

A shortcut

Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Is there a shortcut for the "Go to Folder in Library" command?

• 1. Re: A shortcut
          Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try Ctrl+R (Windows) or Cmd +R (Mac)

• 2. Re: A shortcut
            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

It is shortcut for the "Show in Explorer" command, not for "Go to Folder in Library".

• 3. Re: A shortcut
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

No shortcut is assigned to it, but you can add your own by editing the file TranslatedStrings.txt: Some of the shortcuts don’t work with my language version or non-English keyboard—can I fix it? - The Lightroom Queen.  There is also the Keyboard Tamer plugin, which looks like it's been updated recently for LR 6.

• 4. Re: A shortcut
                Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Very useful tip ... thanks John.

But, I could not find how to write a shortcut for "Go to Folder in Library".

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Context/GoToFolderInLibrary/Key=" ... I took it from the .txt file of an another language, but this is not working.

Where can I learn how I should refer to all the shortcuts in Lr?

• 5. Re: A shortcut

Troubleshooting:

1. What language is your LR in?

2. What is the full file path of the TranslatedStrings.txt that you edited (all parent folders)?

3. What is the exact line in that file that you modified or added?

• 6. Re: A shortcut
                    Alp Er Tunga Level 1

1. English

2. There was not a folder (en) and a text file for English, so I created one under the folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\en

3. I copied a line from the text file of Spanish ... exact line is: "$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Context/GoToFolderInLibrary/Key="

• 7. Re: A shortcut

You need to specific a keyboard shortcut.  You can see the syntax by looking at other entries in the Spanish file.  E.g.

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Context/GoToFolderInLibrary/Key=Cmd+Shift+X"

• 8. Re: A shortcut
                        Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Of course ... I assigned a shortcut key.

This is working "$$$/LibraryMenus/MenuShortcut/DecreaseRating=a"

But ... These are not working:

"$$$/LibraryMenus/MenuShortcut/GoToFolderInLibrary=Ctrl+Shift+x"

Or ... "$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Context/GoToFolderInLibrary/Key=Ctrl+Shift+x"

• 9. Re: A shortcut
                          Alp Er Tunga Level 1

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Photo/GoToFolderInLibrary/Key=a"

There are two groups ... and this one works.

Thank you so much John.

• 10. Re: A shortcut
                            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Like Photoshop, why does Adobe not place this functionality in Lr as an built-in feature?

• 11. Re: A shortcut

This line also works:

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Photo/GoToFolderInLibrary/Key=Cmd+Shift+X"

It assigns Cmd+Shift+X on Mac and Ctrl+Shift+X on Windows.  (A Cmd in the file is interpreted as Ctrl on Windows.)

• 12. Re: A shortcut
                                Alp Er Tunga Level 1

One more question, if you have time ...

If I press the key, and then nothing happens ... in this case can I be sure that that key (or key combination) is not assigned to already present shortcut?

Can it be used in any other module? So, should I try every module like so when deciding a new shortcut?

In summary ... how can I be sure that a key is not used for any shortcut in original setup?

• 13. Re: A shortcut
                                  Like Photoshop, why does Adobe not place this functionality in Lr as an built-in feature?

A lot of people have requested it.  Please add your vote and opinion to the feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Allow for keyboard shortcut customization.

I think there are two factors that reduces the pressure on Adobe:

On Windows, you can use the standard accelerator keys to access pretty much any command.  E.g. I can invoke Go To Folder In Library by typing ALT+P O.  That's not quite as good as a single keystroke, but it's good enough for many people.  I moved from Windows to Mac last year, and one of the few things I really miss is the standard accelerator keys, which let me quickly invoke any command in the menus.

On Mac, it's easy to assign shortcuts to most menu commands via the standard OS X facility in System Preferences. 

• 14. Re: A shortcut
                                    In summary ... how can I be sure that a key is not used for any shortcut in original setup?

It's a bit of a mess.  You can't trust Adobe's documentation, which is incomplete and buggy.  Victoria Bampton maintains an authoritative list.  You can also search for the keystroke in TranslatedStrings.txt, though some keystrokes are hardwired into LR.  In general, though, a keystroke is specific to its module, so you don't have to worry about conflicts with other modules.

• 15. Re: A shortcut
                                      Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Thank you so much for your interest.

• 16. Re: A shortcut
                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

johnrellis,

Thank you so much for pointing me to Victoria's site. I found the shortcut page, downloaded the PDF and went on to their forums to say Thanks.

Imagine my surprise when I read a message that told me that every section of Lightroom allows you to use Ctrl+/ to call up a list of all of the pertinent shortcuts for that particular area.

I did not start using Lightroom until Lr5, so I missed this little tidbit somehow. It is a fabulous way to help start memorizing the shortcuts.

John, you have really helped my journey along greatly. Thanks again.

• 17. Re: A shortcut
                                          Victoria Bampton LR Queen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Steven Gotz wrote:

Imagine my surprise when I read a message that told me that every section of Lightroom allows you to use Ctrl+/ to call up a list of all of the pertinent shortcuts for that particular area.

That is a handy list, indeed, but it only includes the most popular shortcuts for that module, so you'll probably still need my list for the more obscure ones.

• 18. Re: A shortcut
                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Thank you so much. I just "liked" your Facebook page and thanked you there. What a great help you have been and I have only known about you for a few minutes. Imagine what I might learn next!

I am an old Premiere Pro video guy who discovered the joys of shooting Stills only a couple of years ago. I really only got into Lightroom then. As I take more pictures, I am working in Lightroom more and more, so thanks you again for all you are doing!