6 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2015 3:02 PM by paulbiddis

keyword nested in 2 hierarchies

paulbiddis Level 1

Hi,

I am currently going through my photographs attaching keywords and having these nested in hierarchies where possible. I have come across a keyword that will sit into two different hierarchies. The keyword is "Giants Causeway" and I want to nest it in a hierarchy labelled "National Trust" AND another hierarchy labeled "UNESCO". So, when I write Giants Causeway it will assign both National Trust and UNESCO to it also. I have read through various help forums but cannot find anything that looks at this. Is it possible to do?

Kind regards,

Paul

• 1. Re: keyword nested in 2 hierarchies
          dj_paige Level 9

If they're nested in two different places, they are two different keywords. If you want to assign both to a photo, you have to do two assignments.

• 2. Re: keyword nested in 2 hierarchies
            paulbiddis Level 1

Thanks dj. So I cannot have one keyword Giants Causeway that will automatically link to subfolder/category National Trust and a separate subfolder/category UNESCO? Apologies if this seems stupid (I have only started working in digital) what do you mean by two assignments? Thanks.

• 3. Re: keyword nested in 2 hierarchies
              Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Paul,

I've never found a way of doing what you're asking.

For your specific example. My way of dealing with the problem is to treat the 'Giants Causeway' as a location  under the hierarchy PLACES> UK>Northern Ireland>Antrim> Bushmills Then apply Unesco and National Trust as separate keywords.

BTW, don't tell everybody it's a world hertiage site or we'll not be able to get into the place for tourists ;-)

• 4. Re: keyword nested in 2 hierarchies
                dj_paige Level 9

paulbiddis wrote:

Apologies if this seems stupid (I have only started working in digital) what do you mean by two assignments? Thanks.

If you want the photo to have both keywords, then you have to assign the keyword under UNESCO and then you have to assign the keyword under National Trust.

But I think Ian is on the right track, that's how I would handle it.

• 5. Re: keyword nested in 2 hierarchies
                  Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I should have added that the reason I use the approach I do is that many locations of photographic interest, will have sub locations or features of interest that I will want to identify. In the case of the Giant's Causeway I list: Giant's Boot, Giant's Organ, Chimney Stacks, Giant's Harp, Giant's, Eyes, Shepherd's Steps and a bunch of other local features under "Giant's Causeway" in my hierarchy (see screenshot). If I have shot of the Giant's Boot I apply that keyword and Lr will automatically apply Giant's Causeway, Bushmills, Causeway Coast, etc right up to PLACES.

Untitled-2.png

• 6. Re: keyword nested in 2 hierarchies
                    paulbiddis Level 1

Thanks dj and Ian for your comments. I think I will try to place as much as possible within location and then add if necessary, although I am going to try the two assignment approach just to see how it works. Many thanks again.