2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 4:51 PM by southernclub

Would you guys evaluate a new computer build?

southernclub

Hello everyone.  I'm far from an expert on computers so I hope you can help me determine what I need  for Premiere Pro.  I've looked at the tweakers page and I'm still mystified.

I edit one track 4k video in Premiere.  Then, export either a 4k or hd .h264 file which is then scaled down and compressed for the web in Sorenson Squeeze.  What I would like is a machine that can do my encoding fast and with very good result.

These are the specs on a computer I'm looking at:

Processor   Xeon E5-2687W V3 3.1GHz Ten Core 25MB 160W
      Ram         64GB DDR4-2133 REG ECC (4x16GB)

Video Card  GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB

Samsung 850 pro 512 GB SSD for OS

Samsung 850 pro,  smaller than above,  for other drives which will possibly be in a RAID.

1000 w power supply.

Mainly,  I'm not sure about the processor.  I've read that an i7 would be better but I think that was info from before this processor came out.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Would you guys evaluate a new computer build?
          cc_merchant Level 4

This Xeon E5-2687W v3 is an 8 core CPU, not a 10 core. It carries about double the price of the i7-5960X, also an 8-core with the same stock clock speed. However, the 5960X is easily overclocked to around 4.2 - 4.4 GHz, which makes this CPU significantly faster than the Xeon, which can not be overclocked. The Xeon is only interesting in dual CPU configurations, but that makes them around 4 times more expensive than the i7 and the performance is not significantly faster to justify the expenditure. Additionally, ECC memory is always slower than non-ECC memory, it is fixed at 2133 where the i7 can use 2600, 2800 or even faster DDR4 memory, the Titan X is overkill on such a Xeon system, even in dual CPU configuration and on the overclocked i7. The CPU's and memory can not feed the Titan X fast enough with data to fully use all its capabilities, it will be idle for a significant amount of time. The Titan X becomes an interesting card with dual Xeon 14-cores or better. The disk setup needs to be way faster and more elaborate than just 2 SSD's. The size of the OS disk (512) is way too big, 128 or 256 GB is enough for OS and the other 850 Pro SSD should be the 512 GB one.

• 2. Re: Would you guys evaluate a new computer build?
            southernclub Level 1

Thanks for your quick response.

According to Newegg,  a Xeon E5-2687W v3 is 10 cores:   Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 Haswell 3.1GHz 10 x 256KB L2 Cache 25MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 160W BX80644E52687V3 Server Processor…

I wanted a Xeon processor specifically to get ECC RAM.  I'm far from an expert but from what I've read,  you get a better export/finished product with ECC.  I do see that a Xeon and ECC RAM is a much more expensive option so I do welcome all opinions.

I picked the processor thinking more cores and higher clock speed were better and this one was the most I can afford.  Is there a better Xeon for Premiere and Sorenson exports at a lower price?

I see what you are saying the video card.  I choose the Titan X because I read I should get a card with at least 4GB memory for 4k so the 12GB on the Titan seemed better. If If the Titan is overkill,  then  a GTX 980 would be a better choice?

I'll have an OS/programs drive and at least 3 other drives.  There will be external back up and I may even have a 5th internal drive to store media.  I'd like to have  3 SSDs for media, exports, and, projects,  all separate.   Should those all be combined to one RAID?