13 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 7:36 PM by crpd

Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40

crpd

Just got a Lumix DMC ZS40 and having a problem with imported images. All end up being extremely noisy, dull and somewhat blurry. I am fairly new to Lightroom so not sure if I need to create some preset for processing during the import or anything else? I have done tests with raw and jpegs, different situations, lighting etc. still the same results. Looking at the same images with the Panasonic importing software, all these photos looked great.

Any help would be appreciated...

• 1. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Keep in mind that RAW images do not have the settings from the camera embedded like a JPG does.

If you shoot RAW + JPG do the JPG images look OK in Lightroom? If so, then you just need to find the adjustments that get your RAW images to look more like the JPG, and then apply those settings to every image upon import by using a preset.

If it is something else, please provide your workflow so that we may spot a flaw if one exists. What format are you shooting, and how are you importing the images?

• 2. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
            crpd Level 1

Both jpeg and RAW (RW2) look wrong in lightroom. With some adjustments to the raw images I can improve them somewhat but not anywhere near good. As to the importing I am doing nothing other than select and import, no adjustments or any other process...

• 3. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If you wish, you can shoot something with RAW + JPG and post them where I can download them and I will take a look. Pick one where the JPG looks good to you in other applications.

You can use DropBox if you want, or there are a number of other ways to send files.

I would be happy to take a look for you. I use a Lumix DMC-GH3 and I have no issues with Lightroom. So maybe I can help straighten things out of you.

Having said that, I wonder if it is your graphics driver? Lightroom may use your GPU differently than other apps.

• 4. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
                crpd Level 1

Dropbox - Lumix DMC-ZS40

Here is a link to 2 sets of jpeg and RW2. They are representative of all the rest of the photos I took with this camera. Using the software Panasonic provided they look decent, even though I cannot zoom in or do anything with them, PHOTOfunSTUDIO 9.3 PE.

Zooming in to 1:1 in Lightroom you can see a lot of noise that I don't get with any of the other cameras.

Focus never seems to be prefect either. Possibly the camera is at fault?

Would appreciate any opinions or advice.

• 5. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Just the raw images came through, but that is OK.

When I brought the images into Lightroom, I did the same thing I always do to my own images. I sharpened them with a reasonably high mask value and I performed noise reduction. I upped the clarity and the contrast.

Basically, all of the things that the camera does to sharpen an image. They look OK.

They are not perfectly in focus. Not "Tack Sharp". If you want in-focus landscapes, I suggest upping the aperture to higher than f/7.1 or f/8. Especially to help get more detail in the clouds. And, put the camera on a tripod to steady it out. And if already on a tripod, make sure to turn off the stabilization. It actually adds a shake when not shaking.

To help judge the focus, I took the images into Photoshop and used the Select Focus Area tool. Using the Auto setting it says the focus is OK. I moved it to "2" and it shows that the first one is more in focus than the second.

Just out of curiosity, I put them through Shake Reduction in Photoshop which usually can't help a tripod mounted shot at all if the stabilization was turned off. But when I did this to your photos there was a rather dramatic difference. It improved them quite a bit.

Edit: By the way, stop Pixel Peeping your images. When you zoom into 100% you are looking at your images in a way that nobody else will ever see them. People see your photos on line at no more than about 50% of their actual size. And unless you are printing a poster, the noise will never be seen in a print.

• 6. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

You need to upload RAW files, camera produced JPG, and files that were corrected in the Panasonic software so we can see what is going on.  Just go out a take a few test shots.  The Raw files do look BAD.  I agree with Steven that the photos you uploaded appear out of focus or the lens is just bad or shake or all the above.

• 7. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
                      crpd Level 1

Dropbox - Lumix

Thanks for the  respnses. Here is another set of raw / jpeg, hopefully it will all come through. One of the main issues I have is that none of the photos I took with this camera had great focus, regardless of aperture, shutter speed, zoom, subject, etc.. Shooting with Nikon Coolpix aw100, or d-90 or d-700, I never had photos so out of focus. Could it be a faulty camera / lens?

The other issue is that no matter what adjustments I tried in lightroom, I was not able to get the same results the the Panasonic software got on the jpegs. So what I'm trying to figure out there is if it's me - not knowing how to get to the right adjustments or again, is it the camera?

• 8. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

We just got the raw files again. This is what I see when I click on the link you provided.

Capture.PNG

If you want to post an image exported out of the Panasonic software along with the raw file, I would be happy to make the adjustments to match, if I can. In the meantime, I will work on one of yours to see if I can get some decent results.

• 9. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
                          crpd Level 1

This is strange, when I go in to the folder, all 4 photos are there, not sure why the jpegs are not going through. I'll check and try again.

• 11. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I can sharpen it a bit but there is no question that it is not all that sharp.

One review of your camera said "the lens is just not good enough. It completely flunked the sharpness tests through most of the zoom range"

Are you using the supplied Focus Peaking?

Reading some user reviews, one gets a sense that the focus is not all that great on this camera.

1- P1000672.jpg

• 12. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Comparing the JPGs you posted with the way I post process most photos, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. And there will not be for most properly exposed photos. Where shooting raw really helps is with shadows and getting back some detail in highlights. Because it is not always possible to expose for everything in the shot.

• 13. Re: Need help with Lumix DMC ZS40
                                crpd Level 1

Thanks for the analysis. I got this camera for the size and the zoom, it would have been great to carry a small thing like that instead of the heavy d700 with the heavier zoom lens while rappelling in the canyons of southern Utah. I'm going to start looking for something else. Any thoughts?