11 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2015 1:54 PM by MW Design

Placed JPG quality bad

avotius

Before you say it, yes display performance is set to high quality

I have some jpgs which are screen grabs of webpages I place into ID and then resize smaller to fit their frame. The resize absolutely ruins the quality of the pictures, text is especially damaged as if there was no anti aliasing going on.

If I were in PS and I took the same image and resize it there the image and text all look crisp and great. Resizing any jpg image in ID seems to destroy the quality.

Exporting the ID file as press quality and no compression and the images still look very poorly, text created within ID looks perfect.

What have I done wrong?

• 1. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

How do you place the images? Do you save them first as JPG and then in InDesign > FIle > Place… them?

Resizing in InDesign does not do anything with your images. They are passed through to PDF export later. So it must be a display issue, except you have imported them in a wrong way.

• 2. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
            avotius Level 1

I screen grab the images, crop them in photoshop and save as jpg max quality. The File>Place in ID to a frame. Image quality is effected immediately, images are worse but most notable is the test looks like its crumbling.

• 3. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
              MW Design Level 4

Try exporting as PNG from PS.

JPG is especially poor with text, even worse when that text is of certain colors (red being about the worst). But do remember a screen grab is limited to the resolution of the OS' screen. That said, I take application screen shots for documentation all the time and they reproduce quite well. The application I use for screen captures is set to capture and save as PNGs. Unless I need to crop (rarely) I also just have the capture utility set to save them as I usually capture just the areas I'll use.

I also quite frequently print to PDF web pages when I need to and place the PDFs as the text is retained as text. For these I may open them in Illy or PS and deal with removal of what I don't need.

Mike

• 4. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I screen grab the images, crop them in photoshop and save as jpg max quality.

Why not simply place the captures in ID and crop them there? The extra Photoshop step isn't needed and the JPEG save is just adding another layer of compression.

• 5. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JPG is especially poor with text, even worse when that text is of certain colors (red being about the worst)

JPEG doesn't have any color limitation, but RGB profiles do. So if you assign or convert to sRGB, reds (and other CMYK primary colors) would take a hit because sRGB has a much smaller gamut than a profile like AdobeRGB or ProPhoto RGB.

• 6. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
                    avotius Level 1

Ok I tried print screen and paste into ID and they still look bad. I tried saving the captures as different formats, png, tif, they still look bad.

Here is a link to my OneDrive that has the original PNG (2 mb) from PS and the result in the exported press quality PDF with no compression (7mb) which looks largely like what I see in ID as well.

• 7. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
                      MW Design Level 4

I think it is just the res of the monitor.

Here's your screen capture, and one of mine on top of it. Text is slightly better, especially the larger text. The forum does muck with it a bit.

test2.png

And there is this page as a PDF with the zoom level at 300%. The low-res image is obviously pixilated, but even at 300% the text is crispy.

capture-003209.png

• 8. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
                        avotius Level 1

So the image is actually ok when looked at zoomed in at 200% or so, I see that too, but at 100 it still looks bad right? How can I make things look good as for the most part the people looking at these probably wont be zooming in so far to look at them. I guess I need them to look right at 100%

• 9. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
                          MW Design Level 4

Are you referring to the screen cap from the pdf version? If so, the text quality doesn't change, but the bitmaps like the avatar only get more crisp.

I'm out in the backyard using my phone at the moment. How about I place it in an ID document at various sizes and make a pdf. I'll upload it to dropbox.com so you can see for yourself.

Mike

• 10. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
                            avotius Level 1

Thanks.

Here are a couple screen grabs that might help explain what I'm talking about:

(you will have to click view original, unfortunately I have to use onedrive for work)

This is the screen grab I cropped in PS.

This is the image saved on my disk then placed into ID and fitted to frame.

This is my PDF export settings.

This is the page exported to PDF that looks bad at 100%

What I want to know is how do I get the image to look ok in the PDF at 100%. If I simply do a screen grab and place into ID the placed image and frame is way bigger than my page, so in my mind resizing it down should keep it at good quality, at least that is how photoshop works.

• 11. Re: Placed JPG quality bad
                              MW Design Level 4

Screen shots are always poor on-screen in PDFs unless they are 100% scale. It's the nature of the beast. I've done a lot of software technical documents over the years and rarely have seen them bad in print.

Dropbox - screenshot.zip

The ID file and exported PDF are the same name. The placed PDF of the upper portion of the page is the placed image. It prints nicely here.

Mike