Ok so... for sure you have to look for some basic courses on Adobe After Effects but for now:
1. If you have your background and character in composition do you have them as 3D layers?
2. Did you moved those layers (character and bacground) on Z axes?
3. If you did those things from above and and you put those layers into precomp - remember to turn on Collapse Transformation on that precomp and turn in 3D layer
5. If you are trying to move Camera do you use Selection Tool or Camera Tools?
If you are doing everything as those point - everything should work correctly - if not that mean that you are doing something wrong or there is something really serious with your AE instal.
Thanks for the reply. I did the steps you screenshoted me, although the image moves like its going further away and even turns around. The camera still does not move. So as you see at the bottom that's what i have done, but when I move the mouse to the right, the camera should actually move to the right and just show the background and not that image.
Also as for that camera icon, when i press it on or off still does not work, plus on ur screenshot options come up, mine does not when i click on it. Plus I used the select tool and it still moves the background.
Also when i put 3D layers on background, it does the same as the image of the hat icon, it moves but I just want the camera to move so it shows just the background then for example the image again by using the timeline, but camera stays still. And yes i did put on collapse transformation,also used select tool and camera option. Also I put the camera in the pre-comp.
Sorry for little delay with my answer but family comes first.
Hope that you resolved your issue with using camera tool in AE but if not maby i will be able to help you.
I guess that main reason that your camera doesn't work like you want it to is that you are using not correct tool. You probably using default Unified Camera Tool and you should use Track XY Camera Tool. As I've said before to open list of Camera Tools you have to press longer left mouse button on Camera Icon - if that doesn't work you can use camera keyboard shortcut witch is "C"
- if you are using different tool or just wish to toggle between all Camera Tools just click "C" on keyboard. To chose Track XY Camera Tool just click "C" on keyboard several times until your cursor changes to cross like symbol - and then try to move it with left mouse button pressed. If I understand you correctly - that should give you a movement that you need.