10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 8:37 AM by sunlit777

Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever

sunlit777 Level 1

It takes several DAYS of non-stop 24 hour computing to finish building standard-sized prieviews (auto setting, 5120px) on my retina iMac 4Ghz core i7 with 16Gb RAM. The library contains around 115K images, and it chugs through it at a pace of about 20K per day. The files are various, starting from iPhone jpegs, and up to 24Mp and 36Pm Sony and Nikon raw files.

The CPU utilisation for LR seldom goes above 200% (out of 800% total possible, 4 core CPU with HyperThreading, Mac Yosemite, all the latest updates as of the moment of writing this). So, it does not take advantage of the CPUs full power, and neither does it utilise the video processor for the task. Before, using lower resolution macs, and previous versions of LR, I could complete the task in 1 day. So this seems like a kind of a lame improvement, don't you think, Adobe?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever
          Giordano - ACP Italy Adobe Community Professional

Hi sunlit777,

useful information and clarifications have been explained in this article GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015), try to look at it!

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever
            sunlit777 Level 1

I must also add that despite the fact that CPU utilisation is low, working in LR is very frustrating while preview creation is going on: everything slows down, both in Loop, Grid and Develop.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever
              sunlit777 Level 1

I appreciate your reply, but it really does not contain in fresh info on the subject. As I mentioned in the OP, the previews creation is not GPU rendered, so it is done by main CPU. Having top of the line Intel Core i7 at 4Ghz and 4 cores to just output 20K previews in 24 hours is kind of slow. And the process does not utilise all available CPU power either.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever
                Giordano - ACP Italy Adobe Community Professional

I'm a HP user ( windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit - intelcore i7 - 16 GB SDRam - Nvidia GForce 850 ... ) and it works perfectly at full power, but your post will be seen by my colleagues who are Mac User and that surely will have some answers more about.

I am sorry not being able to help you more.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

It's is because you are on a Mac with Yosemite and more than likely you have a Ton of other background processes running.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever
                    Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Alex,

The issue you're seeing is partially as result of the new default Standard-size preview rendering setting (i.e. Auto). This uses the resolution of your display, which in this instance is 5120 pixels. As a result the previews being built for a substantial number of your photos are actually full size (1:1 previews). Unfortunately, 1:1 previews tend to take much longer to render than the more common standard-sized previews. However, this may not always be the case. So, it's always worth checking whether building 1:1 improves things. For your smaller images you might find 1:1 is faster that standard-size.

As to your concerns regarding the use of all available cores. By design Lr will only use real cores during preview rendering. Sorry I can't provide you with a more positive outlook.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

sunlit777 wrote:

It takes several DAYS of non-stop 24 hour computing to finish building standard-sized prieviews (auto setting, 5120px) on my retina iMac 4Ghz core i7 with 16Gb RAM. The library contains around 115K images, and it chugs through it at a pace of about 20K per day. The files are various, starting from iPhone jpegs, and up to 24Mp and 36Mp Sony and Nikon raw files.

Your Retina display and Standard preview resolution is 5120 x 2880, or 14.75 Megapixels, which is large! The time to create one Standard preview as per your numbers:

20,000 ÷ 24 hrs. = 833 previews hr. = ~14 previews min. =  One (1) Standard preview every 4.3 seconds

My 2.8 GHz i7-860 Quad Core system takes 2.2 seconds to build 2560 x 1440 (3.7 Mp) Standard previews. Your Core 4.0 GHz i7-4790K processor is ~2x the performance of my processor, but your Preview size is 14.75 ÷ 3.7 = 4x larger. So you are processing a 4x size preview with a 2x faster processor in ~ 2x the time:

4x Preview Size ÷ 2x Processor Performance = 2 times Longer Standard Preview Building Time

This extrapolates to what I am seeing with LR CC:

2 x 2.2 sec. (my system time) = 4.4 sec. Preview Build Time

Your iMac Retina is behaving as expected due to no GPU support for Preview building.

Unless you have a very high-end ($$$$) graphics card I seriously doubt the GPU can create previews faster than a current Quad Core CPU. This is probably why Adobe did not implement GPU acceleration for Preview Building. I have a mid-range Nvidia Quadro 600 graphics card and see no real improvement anywhere with the GPU enabled in LR. I have it 'Disabled.'The Radeon M295x GPU in your iMac Retina is high-end and probably would help to speed up Preview Building. Adobe will need to provide GPU options to allow users with high-end graphics adapters to use the GPU for more than just the Develop module. For example, PS has three levels of utilization: Basic, Normal, and Advanced. Hopefully these options will be offered in future LR 6/CC updates.

On my Windows 7 system I'm seeing CPU utilization of 20% to 50% with 100% the maximum scale. It is using all four cores and multithreading on three cores. I can still work in the Develop module with only a slight delay in the slider adjustment response while Standard or 1:1 Previews are being built.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever
                        sunlit777 Level 1

Thank you for your detailed reply, you are right, it all seems to correlate. Anyhow, I still believe that with all modern CPU power available the preview creation speed could be optimised.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever
                          sunlit777 Level 1

as regards mac with yosemite, here is the screenshot of Activity monitor with typical CPU usage while LR is busy with previews.Screenshot 2015-05-09 22.40.27.png

and here is another one with Handbrake video encoder app running (see the difference =):

Screenshot 2015-05-09 22.51.08.png

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6 CC previews creation takes forever
                            sunlit777 Level 1

The last update to 6.1 brought no improvement: LR6previews - YouTube