4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2015 4:05 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is my screen grey with no panels when I open Premiere?

GreyPelican15

When I open up Premiere, why is my screen is grey. There is no task panel. Not sure what else needs to be there.  My screen is grey. 

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Why is my screen grey with no panels when I open Premiere?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere or Premiere Elements?

What version and operating system?

Please post a screenshot.

• 2. Re: Why is my screen grey with no panels when I open Premiere?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

greypelican15

If your program is some version of Premiere Pro, you have posted in the wrong forum. Some how your thread got posted in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum. If Premiere Pro is your program, then please re-post your thread in the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum.

Premiere Pro CC

If your thread does relate to some version of Premiere Elements, as asked already, what version and what computer operating system?

The first questions after those answers that will impact the choice of troubleshooting strategy are "Is this a it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue?

What and where are the "gray screen" and "no task panel"?

a. Do you mean that you are looking at a gray page with maybe File Menu and other headers that are not active?

b. Is "no task panel" = File Menu options of New/Project

c. Other.

The version of Premiere Elements, if you are using Premiere Elements, will help us focus in on the problem. For me, a written description in this thread will do the job of communicating the problem. I do not need a screenshot. But, I do need details.

Please review and consider and then we will plan troubleshooting strategy based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why is my screen grey with no panels when I open Premiere?
              GreyPelican15 Level 1

I'm using Premiere Elements 9 on Windows 7 Professional

Here is a screen shot of what I'm seeing:

2015-05-09_174424.png

• 4. Re: Why is my screen grey with no panels when I open Premiere?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

GreyPelican15

Thanks for the additional information.

I am assuming that you are confirming that when you click on File Menu/ there is no New/Project. If so....

I have seen that type of problem reported before especially in 9.

Please confirm if you have been working with the 9.0.1 Update of the program. If not, then please download and install the 9.0.1 from

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Determine if you have the latest driver version of the video card/graphics card that your computer uses. If it does, then try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file.

Its location and what to use is found in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

Determine if the problem exists with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

If none of the above resolves the issue, then delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

If none of that resolves the problem, then do uninstall, free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts), reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Please review and consider, and then let us know if any of the above worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR