8 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2015 9:32 AM by emmac5206947

Please can someone help me?!    Windows files of Lightroom images I can't delete!

emmac5206947

Hi!     Please can someone help me?!

Each time I import images to Lightroom I tick the box to make a second copy to an external hard drive so my original RAW files are backed up.

But I also have a folder within my "Pictures" named by the year, which is another copy of everything I import.     It's currently at 45GB and although I have looked for advice I can't understand why this folder is being created, and I am unable to delete each folder!    It seems to be happening automatically, so can someone please advise

1) how can I stop this backup happening?

2) how can I delete the folders from my Pictures on the C:drive to get all the storage space back!!!

Thank you !

• 1. Re: Please can someone help me?!    Windows files of Lightroom images I can't delete!
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We need some clarification. Where, besides in the Pictures folder and your second copy, do you find the photos you have imported?

• 2. Re: Please can someone help me?!    Windows files of Lightroom images I can't delete!
            emmac5206947 Level 1

I use a PC, and as far as I am aware they don't import anywhere else...      It's the C:drive folder within my windows "Pictures" folder that is confusing me.    I can't work out what setting is causing the photos to import here each time I import into Lightroom!       I've looked through my settings in Lightroom because I'm assuming there must be a section somewhere that is causing this backup, but I can't find it.      When I try to delete the folders I get a "preparing to recycle" box which displays, but it runs continuously as if the files aren't being accessed properly, or there's an error somewhere.

• 3. Re: Please can someone help me?!    Windows files of Lightroom images I can't delete!

Based on what you are telling me, I think you have a misunderstanding about how Lightroom works. Your pictures are not "in" Lightroom. When you import images from your camera you need to tell Lightroom where those images are going to be placed on your computer. And evidently you are creating all of your image folders within the pictures folder. Lightroom points to those images and the catalog only saves the adjustments that you make to those images. If what I am saying is correct, then if you delete those images in your pictures folder they won't be available to you anymore in Lightroom. When you tell Lightroom to make a second copy, that copy will be stored wherever you have configured it to be stored. But those are simply backups of your images, and they are not the images that you work on in Lightroom.

If I have misinterpreted what you are saying, please clarify your import process and explain where and how you import your images. However, "IF" I am understanding you correctly, the reason the recycle box just spins is because it takes a little time to delete that many images. And, "if" I am understanding you correctly, you have probably already deleted some of your working images.

• 4. Re: Please can someone help me?!    Windows files of Lightroom images I can't delete!
                emmac5206947 Level 1

Sorry yes, I was aware that the photos don't actually go into Lightroom.     Can you tell me how I can define WHERE the photos are being saved in the first instance?    I'm guessing I have no choice but to have them stored in the first instance on my hard drive, but not being able to delete them afterwards is causing me so many problems with storage because I am near capacity.    I have all the RAW files backed up to external hard drives, and all my edits backed up to external hard drives too, so I need to be able to delete the imports that go onto my computer.    I only do this once I am happy I've done what I need to do with that batch of photos.

Obviously I am not very tech savvy, and wasn't sure if there was some kind of file indexing, relating to Lightroom which was preventing me from deleting the folders from my Computer...

• 5. Re: Please can someone help me?!    Windows files of Lightroom images I can't delete!

That is all controlled in the right-hand panel of the import dialog. You are able to completely configure where your images will be imported. That would be including the drive and the main folder as well as any new subfolder that you want to create. I believe the default location is the Pictures folder, but I never import images into that folder. I have a second hard drive where I keep all of my images. Perhaps the following video will be of help to you:

Lightroom 5 - Importing Your Images | Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

Also, I never delete the master images that I have been editing using Photoshop. I don't export "finished" copies and then consider that I don't need my edited masters. I only keep my master images that include the work I have done in Lightroom. I export copies for other purposes such as sending to a lab, or sharing on the Internet, etc. when they are needed. And I siscard them as soon as I have used them for their intended purpose. You can manage your library however you wish to.

• 6. Re: Please can someone help me?!    Windows files of Lightroom images I can't delete!
                    emmac5206947 Level 1

Thank you Jim.   The more I think about it, the more I think not being able to delete the files is a Windows issue, or problem with my computer.

I've just watched the video up until the lady selects the "Destination" section on the right hand side - I don't have this within my version of lightroom!  

• 7. Re: Please can someone help me?!    Windows files of Lightroom images I can't delete!

Then you should've watched the rest of the video. You won't have the destination option if the images are already on your hard drive. Normally you will use the Add option rather than the Move option, so the destination is already been determined. I suggest you go back and watch the rest of the video.

Another reason you may not be seeing the destination is because you have chosen the Add option rather than the Move option at the top of the import dialog. There's a lot to be aware of when importing to Lightroom.

• 8. Re: Please can someone help me?!    Windows files of Lightroom images I can't delete!
                        emmac5206947 Level 1

Indeed.  Lots to learn.  I will watch the rest of the video and all the others when I can.

I have been to the point of tears out of frustration today.   My pc is full and I can't delete the folders.   I thought it was connected to the settings or links to Lightroom but I just don't know   : (

Thanks for your time....