6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 8:24 PM by KatzInAz2

Photo captions are not numbering correctly

KatzInAz2

I'm putting together a book that has multiple "chapters", each in its' own document.  There are photos through-out and I have numbered captions below each photo.  This paragraph style/list is working fine.

In addition, I have a separate numbered captions style/list for each photo that is HIDDEN.   This is so that I can include details on copyright information and so forth in an Images Index at the back of the book.  This works fine until we get to the chapter Normandy American Cemetery.   The list should pick up its' numbering following on from the chapter Historical Photos.  (Awards & Citations which sits in between doesn't have any numbered photo captions)

The chapter Historical Photos starts with photo #203, and ends with photo #213.  Instead of starting with photo #214 , the HIDDEN list in Normandy American Cemetery starts with #203 again.   It is as if the software for this list just doesn't see the chapter Historical Photos.

3 chapters.JPG

Note:  The numbered photo captions that are displayed on each page work just fine.

This happened near the front of the book, and to remedy it, I had to create a new HIDDEN list.  Then force renumbering and it corrected itself.   This time however, creating a new list doesn't seem to be working.  (And why would it keep getting corrupt?).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

SET UP INFO:

Book set up with Chapters in individual documents.

Book chapters.JPG

Each chapter has 2 layers.  Layer 1 is the main content of the book, and includes the numbered photo captions list that will display on each page.    Layer 2 is the HIDDEN layer.

Hiden layers.JPG

Here is the paragraph/list set up for the Numbered Photo captions that will appear on each page:

PictureNumbering.JPG

Here is the set up for the HIDDEN Numbered photo paragraph style and list:

Hidden picture numbering.JPG

• 1. Re: Photo captions are not numbering correctly
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You have to anchor those images and their captions into the main text stream to keep the numbering correct.

• 2. Re: Photo captions are not numbering correctly
            KatzInAz2 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Willi.  The image captions that I want to display with each image are indeed anchored to the main text stream and you are correct, those caption numbers are correct.

I need a second set of image captions (for those same images), on a second layer so that I can hide that layer.  All I want is for those captions to appear in an Index of Images at the back of the book.  These captions have more details as to where the images came from, copyright info etc.  It is easier to keep them straight if I can put them on their own layer.

However, I haven't figured out how to anchor into the main text box and have them appear on a separate layer.  I'm guessing that I can't.

So maybe I need to create a second text stream for Layer 2 (the hidden layer) and anchor all of those captions there?    I'll give that a try and see what happens.

• 3. Re: Photo captions are not numbering correctly
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

No, it is not possible to anchor them into the text AND to keep them on different layer, it is an either-or.

What do you want to afford? Would it be possible, to make the anchor as conditional text? Be aware, that test wrap does not work in text lines where the anchor is and before. This can cause problems in multi columns pages. So you might insert the anchor into a paragraph before, and/or what I like to do is to anchor them in a complete own paragraph. But such decisions depend on the form of the layout.

• 4. Re: Photo captions are not numbering correctly
                Olfar Level 2

You can anchor hidden object in the same layer as your text layer.

Make the anchored text object and go to Windows>Output>Attributes> and check Nonprinting.

• 5. Re: Photo captions are not numbering correctly
                  KatzInAz2 Level 1

Willi Adelberger stated that "You have to anchor those images and their captions into the main text stream to keep the numbering correct.".    I needed to have an entirely separate set of captions for each image to be used in a photo index at the back, but NOT have them show (print) on the pages themselves.   I tried making a hidden layer but anchoring them into the same text stream as the printable photo captions did not work.  (Just as Willi stated in a subsequent post).

So, what I did is create a second text stream on a HIDDEN layer.  Then each of the captions used for the photo index were anchored into the HIDDEN layer text stream, along side each photo.   That allowed me to see that I had both sets of captions per image in correctly, and that photo index captions were now correctly numbered sequentially.

Thanks Willi Adelberger for the advice.  It worked like a charm.   !

• 6. Re: Photo captions are not numbering correctly
                    KatzInAz2 Level 1

Willi Adelberger stated that "You have to anchor those images and their captions into the main text stream to keep the numbering correct.".    I needed to have an entirely separate set of captions for each image to be used in a photo index at the back, but NOT have them show (print) on the pages themselves.   I tried making a hidden layer but anchoring them into the same text stream as the printable photo captions did not work.  (Just as Willi stated in a subsequent post).

So, what I did is create a second text stream on a HIDDEN layer.  Then each of the captions used for the photo index were anchored into the HIDDEN layer text stream, along side each photo.   That allowed me to see that I had both sets of captions per image in correctly, and that photo index captions were now correctly numbered sequentially.

Thanks Willi Adelberger for the advice.  It worked like a charm.   !