1 Reply Latest reply on May 9, 2015 3:17 PM by JimHess

Does lightroom create a duplicate of my photos

grantc82205470 Level 1

I'm considering purchasing lightroom. I currently use picasa and at least at first only want to use lightroom as a photo editor for some of my photos. Photos are all in a Pictures file and subfile on my desktop computer. I mostly shoot JPEG and am just dabbling with RAW. If  I import into LR does the program make a new copy? Picasa doesn't actually create a new image. What editing capabilities does LR have with JPEGs? Can I do edits and then move the file back into my original folder in the edited form or does it need to remain in the file created within LR. I may not even be asking these questions properly. Would be interested in finding a user manual or the like to look at .

thanks

• 1. Re: Does lightroom create a duplicate of my photos
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom works quite differently from other photo editing programs you may have used. First of all, Lightroom does not do anything to your original images. They always remain in their pristine state. Lightroom utilizes a database or catalog. As you make adjustments to your images, those adjustments are stored in the catalog. To see your original image with all of the work you have done using Lightroom you will need to view that image using Lightroom. When you want to send a follow-up to a lab, or you want to share it with someone else via e-mail or the Internet, you export a copy of that master image that includes all of the adjustments you have made. And you share the copy. You have asked a lot of other questions, and I think it would be worth your time to take a look at a series of beginner videos that will hopefully answer some of your questions.

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

Also, here is a link to a quick start book for Lightroom 5. There is a new version available now, but the things taught in this book and in the videos and providing a link to are still relevant.

Lightroom 5 - Free Quick Start Guide PDF eBook | The Lightroom Queen