2 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2015 4:17 AM by Rick Gerard

How to make echo effect looping smoothly on a closed animation path?

GSIDesign Level 1

I’m new to AE. I made a circle and applied the echo effect that leaves a long trail when the circle moves. The circle is animated to move along the sides of a square starting from the top left corner and ending there. When the animation loops the trail from the echo effect moves exactly as I want on all corners of the square except the starting/ending points of the animation path (the top left corner of the square). On that corner. when looping, the movement of the echo effect trail is not continuous as on the other corners.

Is it possible to make it move like the other corners when looping?

I’m using CS5

• 1. Re: How to make echo effect looping smoothly on a closed animation path?
          GSIDesign Level 1

I managed to make the movement by making a copy of the layer and moving it in the timeline but now I have to solve a problem with decay of the echo effect. Since the shape of the echo trail is overlapped where it ends it leaves the middle of the trail with a very bright circle. I’m attaching two images to show the problem. On the top left corner it is bad and on the bottom right corner it is good.

I will greatly appreciate your help with this.

AE-loop-01.JPGAE-loop-02.jpg

• 2. Re: How to make echo effect looping smoothly on a closed animation path?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            1. Animate through 5 corners instead of 4
            2. Pre-compose the loop layer
            3. Open the pre-comp
            4. Set your work area to the beginning and ending point of the identical loop
            5. Trim the pre-comp to the work area
            6. Back in the main comp enable time remapping on the pre-comp
            7. Press the K key CTI to the last keyframe for time remapping
            8. Move the CTI back one frame by pressing Ctrl/Cmnd + left arrow or Page Up and set a new keyframe for time remapping
            9. Delete the last time remapping keyframe
            10. Add the expression loopOut(); to time remapping
            11. Extend the out point of the nested Pre-comp layer
            12. Enjoy

That will do it...

echo.jpg