15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2015 2:41 PM by A.T. Romano

Audio/Video Synch

Gary3Hearts

Hi. In my PRE 9 project, the a/v synch is just fine. When either uploading or burning to disc, the a/v is out of synch. Why is this and HOW DO I FIX IT???  Thanks!  Gary

• 1. Re: Audio/Video Synch
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It has to do with your original footage and your project settings, Gary.

What model of camcorder is your original footage coming from and what format and resolution is it? If it's not from a camcorder, please open a media file in G Spot or Media Info and post the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codecs that are listed.

What are your Premiere Elements project settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

• 2. Re: Audio/Video Synch
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary3Hearts

What computer operating system is involved? Are you working with the 9.0.1 Update of the 9?

What are the properties of your Timeline content? DVD video files (VTS_01_1.VOB or cell phone video or something else)? Please detail?

What do you mean by upload - upload to YouTube or Vimeo or something else? If you are exporting your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive, what are your export setting under Share/ ?

When you burn to disc - is the disc DVD or Blu-ray?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

What players are involved?

• 3. Re: Audio/Video Synch
              Gary3Hearts Level 1

Dear Steve:

Thanks so much for taking the time. I've been a bit ill and have tried everything I know since I wrote and no luck. Here's what I can answer and maybe you can help me answer the rest of your questions:

1. Camcorder: Canon XL1s, shooting in 16:9

2. Settings from Edit Menu:

General: Edit mode: dvntsc

Timebase: 29.96 f/s

Video: 720 x 480 pixels

Pixel Aspect Ration: D1/DvNTSC wide 16:9, 1.2121

Fields: lower field first

Display format: 30 fps drop-frame timecode

Title safe area: 20% hor    20% ver

Action safe area: 10% hor  10% ver

Audio Sample Rate: 48,000 Hz

Display Format: Audio Samples

Capture Format: DV

Video Render    File Format: Microsoft avi dv ntsc

Compression: DV NTSC

Optimize stills: checked

• 4. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                Gary3Hearts Level 1

Dear ATR: Thanks so much, also. In addition to what I replied to Steve, here is what I can answer of your questions...bear with me:

1. Computer Operating System: Windows 7

2. Software: In May, at the time of this issue I was in PRE 9, not the update. This all happened within that. Since, I've updated to 9.01 and this performance is the same;

3. Properties of Video Content: Not sure how to answer this. Does the answer to Steve's questions give you what you need? If not, how do I find the answers for you?

4. Uploading: Yes, I've tried to upload the segment in question (about 5 minutes) to YouTube. I've also tried saving it as an AVI directly from my PRE share menu: while the timeline plays in perfect a/v synch, the exports do not. I have since discovered that portions of the video are in synch and portions are not. It seems to want to catch up to itself. In the original project, everything worked fine and exported fine. In a subsequent version, I deleted some clips and moved some clips around on the timeline. Again, they play perfectly within the program, so I didn't unlink the a/v in anyway as far as I can tell.

5. Export Settings: And here is where we may have found an issue, per your question: I still have the first version of my project, before I deleted and moved clips. The Export settings under the Share tab for that project are as follows:  File type: Flv/4v; Frame size : 640 x 480,; Frame Rate: 29.97 Audio settings: mpeg layer III, 128 kbps, stereo;

The most recent version of the project with the a/v synch has the same settings with the two below exceptions following export/share settings:

File type: H264, Audio setting: AAC 65 kbps 44.1 KHz stereo

If I goofed somehow and this is the problem, can you tell me how to fix it? I've never intentionally fiddled with export settings.

Many thanks, fellers.

Gary

• 5. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary3Hearts

I have just deleted what I wrote and posted in this thread space since I did not see your latest reply to me until after I posted the reply.

I will review what you just wrote and post again with my comments and suggestions based on your latest details.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 6. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                    Gary3Hearts Level 1

No, thank YOU, kind sir!

• 7. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary3Hearts

Thanks for the great follow up.

Look at your export settings - they are for 4:3 export, but you have a 16:9 project. Do you really need a FLV export? Please couple your 16:9 project with a 16:9 export and note the results.

The following may not be relevant now, but I will include it in this post just in case...

From what you wrote, you recorded the source video with a miniDV comcorder as DV data 16:9.

How did you get that DV data 16:9 from the camcorder?

Did you do a DV data 16:9 capture firewire into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Capture Windows? That would be expected to end with you having DV AVI Widescreen 16:9 Type 2 on your project's Timeline (audio video in sync).

Or, did you use another program for the capture and then import the captures from that program into Premiere Elements.

Important question is "Did you bring DV AVI Widescreen 16:9 into Premiere Elements project or did you bring in another format - like MPEG2.mpg or something else? Did you do any conversion to the original before import into Premiere Elements?

Please let us know if the 4:3 export with the 16:9 project was at the core of the issue.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary3Hearts

Please try Share/Computer/Adobe Flash Video with Presets = FLV - Web Large NTSC Widescreen Source (Flash 8 or Higher)

WidescreenSource.JPG

I think that you had it set for Presets = FLV - Web Large NTSC Source (Flash 8 or Higher).

Let us know if that made a difference.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                          Gary3Hearts Level 1

OK...I was, indeed not in the Large widescreen export setting when sending to computer. I modified that, selected the footage segment in question, exported and it still plays out of sink.

What should be my next try?

Thank you!

Gary

• 10. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                            Gary3Hearts Level 1

Hi, Bill. The other FLV setting did not work, I'm sorry to report. To answer your earlier questions regarding capture and import:

I recorded on Canon XL1s(yes, I know....) at 16:9, played that back through a Sony HDV deck through, into a Pyro A/V Link into my computer via Firewire. It plays back on the deck in widescreen, but goes into the computer at what looks like 4:3. What I always do when I 'get media' into a project from the computer is load it and, once in the project video folder I create, I right click on the video clip icons and 'interpret footage' to 29.97, widescreen pixel format and it works fine. That also obviates the need to render the timeline on initial capture to timeline.

In this project, I did all the above, edited, burned and all was fine. I re-opened the project to make a few more edits and saved that as another version with another name, i.e. v.3,. It continues to play perfectly in the program but, now, will not burn or upload to youtube without going out of synch, especially within the clip that I moved. The rest of the project often plays fine when burned or uploaded. I am so doggone confused..........

You also asked, "Please let us know if the 4:3 export with the 16:9 project was at the core of the issue." Can you run that by me with some detail, as I'm not sure I know how to test to see if I would have done that.

Thank you so much. Your and Steve's generosity of time and knowledge is really inspiring. So many of our colleagues in this world take an 'everyone for himself approach'.

Gary

• 11. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary3Hearts

Thanks for the follow up. Two focus points....

1. Deleted for now. To expand on this later.

2. We could look at the results from exporting this same Timeline to another format - How about

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen

and/or

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI

with Presets = DV NTSC Widescreen

Is the audio video out of sync in either or both of those choices of export?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary3Hearts

Please refer to your post numbered 10 in which you replied to me about the results from the use of the Premiere Elements FLV widescreen source settings that I suggested to match your 16:9 project settings..

I just noticed that you started the reply with "Hi Bill"  There is no Bill in this thread. I am not a Bill. How come Hi Bill? We are continuing the troubleshooting, but just curious.

ATR

• 13. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                                  Gary3Hearts Level 1

Oops....sorry about the Bill...for some reason, that came to me as your name. Ah, well. Have you now seen my response to the earlier question?  Just to check, I went back to my first version of the project, selected the clip that was relocated to the next version and went out of synch, and saved that as an avi to my computer. It plays back fine. When I select the same clip from the latest version of my project, it plays out of synch. WTF? There has got to be some really simple, and really, really stupid thing I'm doing here. But it always plays back fine within the program. Just not when burned or exported out of the latest version of the project. I'm headed out for a bit and will look for any further suggestions when I return this evening.

Many thanks.

Gary

• 14. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                                    Gary3Hearts Level 1

Just seeing this.....I'll also try this. Thanks!

• 15. Re: Audio/Video Synch
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary

1. You wrote

I recorded on Canon XL1s(yes, I know....) at 16:9, played that back through a Sony HDV deck through, into a Pyro A/V Link into my computer via Firewire. It plays back on the deck in widescreen, but goes into the computer at what looks like 4:3. What I always do when I 'get media' into a project from the computer is load it and, once in the project video folder I create, I right click on the video clip icons and 'interpret footage' to 29.97, widescreen pixel format and it works fine. That also obviates the need to render the timeline on initial capture to timeline.

a. Canon Recording Settings....

What is your confirmed recording for the Canon XL1s, DV data 4:3 or DV data 16:9? From what you have written, it DV data 16:9.

I do not understand why you are not connecting a firewire cable between the iLink in the camera and the firewire port of the computer, but....

If DV data 16:9 recorded, then before you start the capture, you set the project preset for NTSC DV Widescreen in the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 new project dialog. In that workflow, you put NTSC DV AVI 16:9 on the project's Timeline.

Why are you going into Interpret Footage? There is one good reason, that is, version 9 has glitch where you can find yourself with a frame rate of 1.00 frames per second and not 29.97 frames per second. You should not have anything to do with the Pixel Aspect Ratio section of the Interpret Footage dialog. If you put NTSC DV AVI 16:9 on that Timeline, the Pixel Aspect Ratio section of Interpret Footage will have "Use Pixel Aspect from File = D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)". If you do not, then there is a mix up on recording settings and/or Premiere Elements project settings.

b. Your example of audio out of sync for FLV export of your Timeline....

If your project is 16:9 and you want to export it's Timeline to FLV, then you should use

Share/Computer/Adobe Flash Video with Presets = FLV - Web Large, NTSC Widescreen Source (Flash 8 or Higher). The frame size is 720 x 400 and the file has a 16:9 display. If you use Presets = FLV - Web Large, NTSC (Flash 8 or Higher), that has a frame size of 640 x 480 and the file has a 4:3 display. You want to match your project settings 16:9 with your 16:9 export.

My first impression is that your audio out of sync issue went to a mismatch between project settings and export settings. Consequently, I want to make sure if all is OK with the above so that we can factor all of it out of the troubleshooting equation. You mention that a Timeline is in sync goes out of sync when burn to disc. Is that correct? What preset are you using for the burn to NTSC_Dolby DVD or NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD?

c. General

You wrote

I went back to my first version of the project, selected the clip that was relocated to the next version and went out of synch, and saved that as an avi to my computer. It plays back fine. When I select the same clip from the latest version of my project, it plays out of synch.

Take that clip that is playing out of sync in Premiere Elements 9 into HandBrake in order to obtain the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate 29.97 frames per second version. Take that H.264.mp4 and import it into your project. Is the audio video in sync?

https://handbrake.fr/

If you decide to give this a try, please let me know if you need help on the how to.

Please read through the above as your schedule permits. Please consider the areas where I have questions. Playback on a computer player is not necessary the playback you are going to get in Premiere Elements where there are more factors involved in the real time playback.

When all is said and done,

a. Can you connect your miniDV camcorder set to record DV data 16:9 with a firewire cable between the camera iLink and the computer firewire port and capture into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 pre-set for NTSC DV Widescreen.

b. If you take that Timeline as is, can you export it with audio in sync to Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Widescreen?

Thanks.

ATR