3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 8:56 AM by Jao vdL

For HDR Photo Merge Highlights are always -100

Jimtonwner Level 1

In every HDR Photo Merge I've done (about 10) the highlight slider on the merged image is always set to -100 in the Develop module and even at that the highlights are to bright. I've tried two image merges and three image merges with the total range always being +/- 2EV. Also tried merging JPGs and Raw (separately) with the same outcome, Highlights = -100. Has anybody else encountered this and is there a way to get a decent mid-range result?

I'm using Lightroom CC on a Mac OS X Yosemite, current version.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: For HDR Photo Merge Highlights are always -100
          Bob Somrak Level 5

The HDR tool needs a MAJOR overhaul (along with Face Recognition,  Pano seems to work ok).  Pretty much every HDR I tried with AUTO turned on came back into Lightroom with Highlights at -100 and Shadows at +70.  The Exposure slider increased the range from 5 to 10 but from what I can see this extra range is WORTHLESS and only makes the slider less sensitive.  There seems to be more  highlights and shadows available in the merged file so more range needs to be allowed in the -highlights/+shadows sliders.

• 2. Re: For HDR Photo Merge Highlights are always -100
            Jimtonwner Level 1

Thanks Bob. Good to know I'm not alone. Hopefully Adobe will see this and fix it. And don't get me started on Face Recognition.

• 3. Re: For HDR Photo Merge Highlights are always -100
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bob is right. The HDR tool auto tone is not very useful and leads to crazy results in general. You should leave the checkbox unchecked and then treat the new dng file as you treat any raw file. The thing to remember is that nothing has changed in the processing algorithm in Lightroom except for the larger range of the exposure slider. There are no new dynamic range reduction algorithms in there. It's just the standard camera raw pipeline and the sliders highlights, shadows, blacks, whites, affect the same tonal ranges as they do in a single raw. So use the sliders and local adjustment as you would normally do. Your image will simply break up in the whites much less early than a single raw and will have much better shadow detail (i.e. less shadow noise). It works really well for what it is and you can get really nice results with some work but don't expect it to do what photomatix and other dedicated HDR apps do out of the box. I highly doubt they will change this behavior but I have no insight into their plans.