9 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 8:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Problem importing .MOV into PE 10

cyntq

Hello.  I have Adobe Premiere Elements version 10.  I use a Dell Latitude E5520 running Windows 7.  I took a video with a Canon Powershot, 36 seconds long.  This has worked before without issue but over the last couple of years, it occasionally gives me a problem.

I've put the video on my desktop and can play it with QuickTime - it is fine.  But when I import it into PE, the audio is messed up.  The video runs fine but even looking at the audio wave form once it is imported, I can see it is corrupt.  The audio is a string of a repetitive segment, approx. 2-3 seconds long, that repeats over and over.  It is the right voice but a couple of chopped words that are out of order.

I've tried setting the movie up as a Flip and then NTSC 48kHz.  I've tried restarting the laptop a few times with nothing running in the background.  I've tried pulling the clip from the SC card and from the desktop and tried putting the clip on an external disk and importing it from there.  What can I do?

• 1. Re: Problem importing .MOV into PE 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This can happen with certain files. It's not the file's format that's the issue. It's the file's codec.

Open one of your MOVs in G Spot or Media Info and note the audio and video codecs that are listed. Some still cameras save their video with the MJPEG codec which, particularly in pre-version 11 versions of Premiere Elements, can cause these types of issues.

• 2. Re: Problem importing .MOV into PE 10
            wcn_dave Level 1

I have loads of issues with MOV files, I use ffmpeg to convert them, using a cron script running on my linux based synology NAS.  I put the files in "in" folder and they get moved to "out" folder re-muxed with a codec combination that I know for sure works.

I definitely recommend converting them with some other software first, PE seems quite fussy about file formats.    

• 3. Re: Problem importing .MOV into PE 10

That's one solution, David. But I would recommend caution when converting files. Unless you know what you're doing and what codecs you've selected, your conversion can actually create a video that is less rather than more compatible with Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: Problem importing .MOV into PE 10
                wcn_dave Level 1

Oh I agree completely, you have to keep the original, and then test out various options.  Remuxing rather than converting of course keeps the quality the same pretty much.

However, I have a number of devices, tablets, phones, camcorder, and 3 cameras that take video.  They produce MP4, MOD, MOV, MPEG and MKV files.  None of these are compatible with PE11, hence my batch conversion.

I don't actually know if a single device produces something I can edit directly, perhaps my time lapse Brinno camera, which produces AVI files, however none of the others produce anything I can use. (I'm talking Canon, Sony, JVC and Samsung devices here BTW, quite a wide range!)

• 5. Re: Problem importing .MOV into PE 10

For what it's worth, David, I have no problems editing video directly from my iPod, Android phone or my Go Pro in Premiere Elements. So maybe it has to do with how your computer is setup and which codecs you have installed.

• 6. Re: Problem importing .MOV into PE 10
                    wcn_dave Level 1

It could be, however they all play in VLC and can all be used as editable files in AVS video editor.

I was told at some point that PE is a more professional tool and therefore only supports "proper" standards.  Hence no MKV or MOD files.

my MP4 files on my Canon use a codec that Canon don't licence properly (AC3?) and therefore is simply mute, I think MP4 from my samsung S3 play, S2 did not work, however most of my footage is from Sony Camera, Canon Camera, or JVC camcorder.

I spent a lot of time trying to get them to work, and ended up with the conversion route.  If I have mixed formats to make a final video from, I tend to use AVS which has most of the features I need, however accepts more formats.    

• 7. Re: Problem importing .MOV into PE 10
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

cyntq

Relating to your specific problems that caused you to originate this thread in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum......lots of posts, but we have not heard from you yet.....

1. What video card/graphics card does your Windows 7 64 bit computer use? And, it is set for automatic updating of the driver version?

Are you dealing with a Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA Ge Force Windows 7 64 bit computer environment?

If so, there is a known issue and set of problems that comes with Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce. The problems typically can impact display and can take in other performance issues.

If this applies to your, please read

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe10-nvidia-video-card-roll-back.html

The answer to Premiere Elements 10/NIVIDA GeForce is in rolling back the NVIDIA GeForce card driver version to about May 2013 rather than updating it to current version.

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements? If you go to Share/Computer/QuickTime is the list QuickTime Presets seen? Are you running the programs as administrator?

3. What is the model/settings of the Canon camera that recorded your video? You, as thread originator, appear to be working with one Canon Powershot. Correct? What is the project preset that you are setting in the New Project dialog to match the properties of this source video? Since you have indicated that you have looked at several project presets, the focus then becomes those source media properties that we can evaluate.

Powershot cameras often use the MotionJPEG video codec which Premiere Elements has problems from time to time. The remedies there include

a. download and install a utility that came with the camera so that this utility can contribute the right "MotionJPEG video codec".

b. purchase, download and install a MotionJPEG video codec

c. convert the MotionJPEG video to another format with one of those video converters.

I believe that, if you got through the above, you will get closer to the core of the matter which is specific for your situation.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problem importing .MOV into PE 10
                        cyntq Level 1

Wow guys, thank you for your very quick responses.  I have to admit, you sound like you are talking Greek but fortunately, my husband is a good translator!

1) I have a Win 7 32 bit laptop with built in Intel graphics card.

2) I do have the latest version of QuickTime and I do see it as an option under Share.  I don't open PE as an Administrator, I just Open it.

3) I have a Canon PowerShot A2200.  My husband noted that the video was encoded as H264 and the audio as PCM_U8 (1ch, 12kHz).

Is there anything that I could install into PEPE 10 that would import this video natively?  Or, do I have to convert it to another format with another program?  I will also look at the camera settings to see if it has some alternative audio formats available.  Thank you!

• 9. Re: Problem importing .MOV into PE 10
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

cyntq

Thank you for your reply with very helpful information for troubleshooting.

The Canon A2200 is recording H.264.mov video. If you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer and you are running the programs from a user account with administrative privileges, that file should be supported. Please assure the user account with administrative privileges.

Your computer is using an Intel not NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card so you are not involved in that Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce matter. That is good news. Just in case, assure that the Intel card driver is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card.

Have you gone through the paces of

a. Deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (I do not have Windows 7 32 bit, so I will need to research the path to the Prefs file there.)

and/or

b. Uninstall, free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts), and reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

For troubleshooting purchases only now, you could try to convert the H.264.mov to H.264.mp4 using the free HandBrake.

https://handbrake.fr/

But, you should not have to do that. I will see if I can find some Canon A2200 sample videos online.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR