3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2015 9:56 PM by SeanMcCormack

Lightroom CC can't read Date Captured for some .MOV files

jameswatson3

Well Apple has really kicked me in the groin this time, but I should be used to it by now from them and Google.

I am switching from iPhoto on OSX 10.9 to Lightroom CC on Win8.1. As I have been importing my content into LR, I began getting errors about some videos that could not be imported. Generic messages about unsupported formats or corrupt data. When I went back to the Mac to access some of these files, I noticed they were all .MOV files and when I opened any of the failed imports it began "converting" then prompted me to save the converted file on close. There is a long angry thread on this subject on Apple's forums:

Quicktime converting .MOV to .MOV? | Apple Support Communities

Well the short of it is I can use Handbrake to convert these files to .m4v and they can then be imported and viewed in LR. But the Date Captured metadata is now unreadable by LR! After the conversion LR reads it as 1904-01-01! I can change the date in Photo Gallery in Windows or 3rd party tools like MetaX and those interfaces will reflect the correct date, but LR will never recognize the date clearly visible in the file properties. Even if I convert the file on the Mac and then import it, LR will not read any changes to the Date Captured metadata.

Any suggestions on how I can force the Date Captured metadata into a format readable by LR? I know I can import and then change it, but that just puts me at the mercy of this same pointless task if I ever move the data out of the LR catalog. I would really prefer to fix this on the file itself if at all possible.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC can't read Date Captured for some .MOV files
          SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom's video metadata leaves a lot to be desired, though it has gotten a littler better. You can turn on writing the date back to the file in Catalog Settings (EXIF in the Metadata tab), though I've not tried it for video. Just remember to switch it back.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC can't read Date Captured for some .MOV files
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
            Any suggestions on how I can force the Date Captured metadata into a format readable by LR?

As Sean mentioned, LR's support for video metadata is incomplete and buggy.

For many video files, LR doesn't read the metadata at all.  For these files, it shows the date/time of import for Capture Date/Time in the Metadata panel, and it shows the operating system's file last-modified date/time under the thumbnail in grid view:  Lightroom: Still inconsistent capture date/time for videos

If you want to beat your head against the wall and try to see if there is a metadata field that LR will read, I suggest using the free Exiftool to examine a file whose capture time it does read and use Exiftool to modify the video.  (But beware that the file last-modified date/time is often the same as the capture time in the metadata, and LR may be using the last-modified date/time.)

You can turn on writing the date back to the file in Catalog Settings

Unfortunately, LR doesn't ever write metadata back to video files: Lightroom: Metadata applied to videos in Lightroom isn't available in other applications

If you care about your video metadata, you could use the Video Asset Management plugin or the Any File plugin.  These plugins import a JPEG "proxy" for the video rather than video itself, and metadata changes get written by LR back to the JPEG.  So if you ever want to take your video and metadata into some other program, you're assured its written in industry-standard form in the JPEGs.  (And a tool like Exiftool can easily extract it.)

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC can't read Date Captured for some .MOV files
              SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

Cheers for that johnrellis! Like I said, I hadn't tested it. I did know the support was sketchy, but at least they added reading from sidecar files that contains metadata. While I'm starting to do more video, I'm not really managing my final exports in Lightroom-no particular reason, so I haven't been up to speed on exactly what the current state of play is.