8 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 8:44 AM by Whatev's

Lightroom Upgrade Issues

Whatev's

I am trying to upgrade my Lightroom 5.7 to lightroom 6 "upgrade" but it doesn't upgrade.  It goes to this website:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

There is no way to upgrade Lightroom - I have purchased it outright. 

Does anyone at Lightroom know how to upgrade this?  I called and got someone in India who spoke no english. 

Please help, and thanks.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Upgrade Issues
          dj_paige Level 9

Try this: https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_softwar e_sl_mostpopular.html?promoid=KLXMI

From there, you can purchase the upgrade to either Lightroom 6, or Lightroom CC. Note: this is a paid upgrade, there is no free upgrade in this instance.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Upgrade Issues
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you are seeing, I think, is the poorly worded announcement that new software is available for Lightroom 5.7. This is actually an upgrade that must be purchased. Lightroom 6 can be purchased as a standalone version from the following website: Products

Adobe is aggressively marketing their creative cloud subscription plan. And that is where the link is taking you. If you are seeing what I think you are seeing, and you don't want to purchase the upgrade, there is an Ignore button in the lower left-hand corner of that notice.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Upgrade Issues
              Whatev's Level 1

Okay, help me out here.

I just purchased Lightroom and I have to pay again?  I'm not shooting the messenger but it says that I am to upgrade but I am paying for all my upgrades? 

How many times do I have to pay for lightroom? 

• 4. Re: Lightroom Upgrade Issues
                Whatev's Level 1

Can anybody provide a phone number to someone who speaks english at Lightroom? 

Thanks if you can help me. 

• 5. Re: Lightroom Upgrade Issues

English is the only language that I speak. You get all "updates" to Lightroom 5 (5.1 through 5.7.1) free. The notice you are seeing is for an "upgrade" and upgrades are not free. Your best bet for communicating with someone from Adobe about this is through live chat which can be accessed from the following link:

Contact Customer Care

If you want to use live chat, it will be necessary for you to click on the "still need help" button on that screen.

If you read  that notification carefully it is advising you of "new software" available for Lightroom. It is not advising you of a free update to the Lightroom version you are using. Yes, it's poorly worded, and has confused a lot of users.

• 6. Re: Lightroom Upgrade Issues
                    Whatev's Level 1

Okay, now I get it. 

My apologies to you, Jim.  Unlike Adobe you have been very helpful.  I've been trying to contact anyone there and got someone in India who spoke no english.  I've still had no luck finding an actual telephone number for them. 

I'd say beware to anyone who wants to download and install Lightroom.  Obviously, one must be computer savvy to run these programs, i.e. photoshop that would not be supported by any kind of staff but this "upgrade" purely boggles my mind.  I've worked on computers for many years and I can only say wow. 

I now have pop-ups on Lightroom that tell me to "update", not "UPGRADE" my software, and it's not an update but an UPGRADE, even though it clearly says that it is an UPDATE. 

What a garbage program. 

I cannot believe I bought this trash. 

• 7. Re: Lightroom Upgrade Issues

Isn't there an "ignore these notifications" button in the lower left-hand corner of that dialog box? I agree that it isn't being handled very well. A lot of people are becoming confused.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Upgrade Issues
                        Whatev's Level 1

Well now I see it.  Under the "UPGRADE" icon box that is labelled "UPDATE" (I''m guessing that Adobe is confused as to what an upgrade and an update is) there is a box that says "ignore these notifications". 

This isn't being handled very well is a nice way of putting it.  I"d say more like Adobe has no idea how to effectively communicate in the simplest terms.  Furthermore, they are using software that I paid for to allow pop-up advertising.

It's so nice to know that I can be showcasing my work and Adobe garbage software will be puking up pop-up advertising.

Shame on you Adobe.  And shame on you for having no way whatsoever to get ahold of you.  I'd call to ask for my money back but how on earth do you do that?  There is no way. 

That is the last you will ever get of my money.