9 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 2:30 PM by trshaner

Tech Support please - Mistake made in moving large number of folders and files to archive HD, lost metadata and develop settings, how to fix mistake.

El_Jeffe Level 1

Hoping to hear from tech support or senior posters as I made a huge mistake by following instructions from someone who thought they knew Lightroom but didn't.

Mac Pro, OS 10.10.3. Lightroom 5.7

Issue:

Moving approx 750 GB of folders and associated image files from my 3 TB Working Studio Drive to a new 2 TB Archive drive. The first set of folders I moved from within Lightroom, which went fine but was very slow to do as I could only move around 12 folders at a time or the system locked up. After looking on line I was advised to just copy all the folders I wanted to move from within Finder, simply dragging and dropping the folders from one drive to the other, and then synchronize from Lightroom. The files moved OK, but as I guess I should've generated .XMP files as the moved files don't have either the metadata nor the Develop settings anymore.

I haven't done any Lightroom work since doing this, so I have the old catalog in Time Machine (I hope! - I've heard there can be issue with the Lightroom catalog and Time Machine). I also have back-ups of the Working Drive before I moved the files.

I have 2 large jobs I need to edit ASAP, so need to resolve this quickly or the LR Catalog will change and I won't be able to move back.

Ideally, I'd love to talk to Tech Support so I can go through the steps and explain what I did and make sure I don't lose any data. Is there a number to call? The phone tree says no phone support for LR now...