36 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 11:16 AM by johnrellis

LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?

PalmettoDave

I have a client who has me upload photos to their server via their proprietary web reporting app. Since I started using LR-CC my uploaded photos are degraded even though I'm using the same export preset that I used without issue in LR5, and even though the photos when viewed on my hard drive look fine.

The workflow is that I take photos, edit them in Lightroom, extract JPGs to my hard drive, and then upload the JPGs to the client's server using the client's custom web reporting app.

In the past (using LR5) I set up a custom export preset named for the client. The photos were for web use only, so I defined the preset for 640 pixels on the long axis, 72 ppi, screen sharpening. Worked great for many months. Client was happy, so I was happy.

When I switched to LR-CC a couple of weeks ago, I was pleased to see that my pre-existing export preset showed up in LR-CC. There were a few additional options available for exports in LR-CC but they don't seem relevant to the issue of extracting individual JPGs for this client. I have even tried opening LR5 and LR-CC at the same time and comparing the export preset line-by-line to make sure nothing's different.

The JPGs exported in LR5 and LR-CC both look fine if I examine them on my hard drive using any jpg viewer. When I upload any LR5 JPG via my client's web app, the photos look great in the client's reports. When I upload any JPG exported from LR-CC, however, the photo that looked fine on my hard drive looks very fuzzy, as if I had purposely defocused my camera. This is true even though the LR-CC photo looks perfect on my hard drive when viewed with any photo app.

I've gone back to the LR-CC export dialog and tried changing output resolution (I went all the way up to a 23MB jpg), and tried increasing JPG quality from the default value of 60. I've tried using a different camera. I've tried switching web browsers from Safari to Firefox. None of this affects the problem. Every jpg exported from LR-CC looks awful in the client report. Changing from LR-CC back to LR5 makes the problem go away. Every jpg uploaded from LR5 looks great, even at modest resolutions. The picture degradation happens on every uploaded photo that was extracted from LR-CC, but on no photo that was extracted from LR5. The jpgs from LR5 and LR-CC both look fine on my computer. From the standpoint of the client's web report, LR5 works, LR-CC fails. Yet the photos seem identical on my hard drive before I upload them (indistinguishable, in fact).

I have no details on how the client's web app uploads photos, and the client doesn't know anything about their software and has no tech support department. Their report software asks me to point to the photo and double-click on it so I presume it's some sort of file transfer protocol to move the JPG from my hard drive to their server.

My system is Mac OS 10.10.3 (Yosemite). I have tried using both Safari 8.0.6 and Firefox 37.0.2 with no difference. Can anyone suggest a resolution to the problem other than maintaining service to this one client using LR5?

<head spinning at idea of trying to maintain catalogs in LR5 and LR-CC at the same time....>

• 1. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
          Rajashree Bhattacharya Adobe Employee

The issue can be handled more deftly by Light room experts hence moving it.

Regards

Rajshree

• 2. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

LR 6 has two know issues generating JPEG metadata that is incompatible with some existing software:

Lightroom CC: JPEG format tripping up other programs

Lightroom 6: Invalid XMP metadata written to exported JPEGs, tripping up reading software

It may be that your client's software is unable to read the metadata in the JPEGs correctly, which somehow causes the fuzzy display.  To test this, first of all, did the problem photos have the adjustment brush applied to them?

• 3. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
              Jim Wilde Level 5

John, does exporting with the "Copyright Only" metadata option avoid the metadata incompatibility issue? Is that worth trying?

• 4. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                PalmettoDave Level 1

For this client, I rarely make adjustments involving brushes. There might be minor adjustments of exposure or shadows, but that's about it. There are no brushed-in adjustments.

Regardless, the problem photos are bad regardless of whether any adjustment whatsoever has been made to them.

• 5. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                  PalmettoDave Level 1

To provide illustration of the problem, I took a grab shot just now here at my desk and imported the raw file into LR5.7 and also into LR-CC. I made my typical adjustments in exposure, shadows and highlights identically in both versions, and exported the two (presumably identical) images into jpg files using the same export preset. The export preset was for 640 pixels on the long axis, 72 ppi, and jpg quality 60.

The LR-5.7 export jpg looks like this:

LR-5.7 export (1 of 1).jpg

The LR-CC export jpg looks like this (after identical editing):

LR-CC export (1 of 1).jpg

Look identical, don't they (as they should, being the same image edited and extracted in LR-5.7 and LR-CC)?

Here, conversely, is what they look like after they're loaded into my client's web report. This is a screen capture of the report, with the LR-5.7 jpg on top and the LR-CC jpg on the bottom, annotated in orange by me:

ReportScreenCap.jpg

You can see that the jpg originating from LR-CC is significantly degraded in focus and contrast. The aesthetic effect is minimized a bit for this image because of the depth of field of the closer part of the brochure. In most photos it appears far worse, but you can still see see that the top right text on the brochure is crisp in the LR-5.7 version but illegible in the LR-CC version. The decrease in apparent contrast may simply be the focus issue.

For anyone competent to decode the binary-level jpg files, I have placed each of the three illustrations above in dropbox files:

LR-5.7 jpg: Dropbox - LR-5.7 export (1 of 1).jpg

LR-CC jpg: Dropbox - LR-CC export (1 of 1).jpg

Screen capture of client report: Dropbox - ReportScreenCap.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have access to the version existing on the client's server of the presumably damaged (or at least misread) LR-CC jpg.

• 6. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                    PalmettoDave Level 1

Jim, your idea seemed reasonable and was easy enough to test.

I tried exporting the same test image (my desk with the Taubman brochure and pencil holder) from LR-CC with the metadata option set to "Copyright Only." I then uploaded that version of the image into the client report.

Unfortunately, the problem still existed. Changing the metadata option from "All Metadata" to "Copyright Only" has no effect.

• 7. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                      Jim Wilde Level 5

OK, thanks for trying, sorry it didn't work.

• 8. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The lower LR-CC looks like an embedded thumbnail expanded to 640 pixels and probably caused by a parsing error on the website due to the issues listed above.

Does opening and saving the JPG with PS CC fix anything?

Is the client's website page URL contain PHP or ASPX or HTML when you view the pages?

• 9. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See this post of this other thread that shows an ExifTool command to rewrite the non-standard EXIF information:

Updated Link:  https://forums.adobe.com/message/7537120#7525745

Ignore most of the rest of the thread because the person is also confused about what ICC Profile they should be using to export.

ExifTool can be downloaded from here:

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

• 10. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                            There are no brushed-in adjustments

So that narrows down the potential cause to the JPEG header issue:Lightroom CC: JPEG format tripping up other programs.  I agree with ssprengel's observation -- if you extract the embedded thumbnail, it looks very much like what you're seeing after upload to the client.

Two ways to test that:

1. Open the exported photo in Photoshop and resave it, then upload the resaved copy.  (Resaving it with other programs may have the same effect, but we can't be sure.)

2. Run the following command line on the exported photo using the free Exiftool:

exiftool -m -all= -tagsfromfile @ -all:all -iptc_profile -unsafe file.jpg

Then upload the file.

• 11. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                              Does exporting with the "Copyright Only" metadata option avoid the metadata incompatibility issue? Is that worth trying?

I just tested it and, unfortunately, it has no effect on the problem JPEG header. 

• 12. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                PalmettoDave Level 1

I confirm that using the "Copyright Only" metadata option does not resolve the issue on the client's report. There is no effect.

• 13. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                  PalmettoDave Level 1

@johnrellis:

Two ways to test that:

1. Open the exported photo in Photoshop and resave it, then upload the resaved copy.  (Resaving it with other programs may have the same effect, but we can't be sure.)

I have just now tried this and am pleased to report that your diagnosis is correct. Re-saving the LR-CC jpg with Photoshop CC eliminates the problem. Here is a screenshot of the test image in a client report, where the test image has been opened in Photoshop CC, immediately reserved as a jpg from Photoshop CC, and then uploaded to the client report, per your trial suggestion (my annotation in orange):

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 11.51.36 AM.jpg

While this confirms your diagnosis, it is unfortunately not a good solution. I provide about 500-600 images per month to this client, with uploads happening multiple times a day. The idea of opening and closing every LR image within Photoshop for what amounts to housekeeping purposes would cumulatively add several hours of work every month to my workload just to restore to the client the quality that existed in LR-5.7. What I really need is a way to save from LR-CC automatically with an image that does not have the nouveau JPG header and thus does not make the client's web report puke. I wouldn't mind if we were talking 1 or 2 images I had to correct, but having to tweak every image when there are hundreds every month is unreasonable.

Is there an export preset in LR-CC that I could define to meet this need and return to the LR-5.7 jpg header style?

My client is, unfortunately, technically inept. If I ask them to bring their web report software into compliance with Adobe's current Creative Cloud JPG header definition they will stare indignantly at me and tell me to buy a new camera that doesn't have that problem.

• 14. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                    andrewfreeman Level 3

The idea of opening and closing every LR image within Photoshop for what amounts to housekeeping purposes would cumulatively add several hours of work every month to my workload just to restore to the client the quality that existed in LR-5.7.

Not an ideal solution, but for now can you batch process the images?

• 15. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                      PalmettoDave Level 1

@andrewfreeman:

Not an ideal solution, but for now can you batch process the images?

Thank you for your suggestion. Batch processing would be a good solution if all 600 monthly images were prepared at one time, but the nature of the job is that the client sends inspection orders several times a day and wants photos of the inspections uploaded as soon as they're taken.

I suspect that the only good solution in the long term is an export preset that produces images that work for the client's software, which means the traditional LR-5.7 style header and not the newer LR-CC style header.

• 16. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                        andrewfreeman Level 3

I can see your issues there....

Could you re-upload both files with the same export settings? If the ones in dropbox aren't already of course?

• 17. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?

You can add a Post-Process Action to your Export presets that fixes the JPEG headers.   You can use the Run Any Command plugin, as described here: Lightroom CC: JPEG format tripping up other programs.  This is the easiest solution unless you're technically minded.

Or you can write your own script file as described starting here: Re: Corrupted EXIF data in photos exported from Lightroom CC.  But read through the following messages to get the correct command line to use. The instructions are for Windows, but if you know how to write scripts for Mac, they can be easily adapted.

• 18. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                            PalmettoDave Level 1

@andrewfreeman:

Could you re-upload both files with the same export settings? If the ones in dropbox aren't already of course?

The two files that I placed in the Dropboxes do have the same export settings.

• 19. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?

Also, could you find out from your client what software they're using, if they know?  We can add that to the bug report to help Adobe understand the scope of the problem.

• 20. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                PalmettoDave Level 1

@johnrellis:

You can add a Post-Process Action to your Export presets that fixes the JPEG headers.   You can use the Run Any Command plugin, as described here: Lightroom CC: JPEG format tripping up other programs.  This is the easiest solution unless you're technically minded.

Or you can write your own script file as described starting here: Re: Corrupted EXIF data in photos exported from Lightroom CC.  But read through the following messages to get the correct command line to use. The instructions are for Windows, but if you know how to write scripts for Mac, they can be easily adapted.

John, I will try this solution and report back to you. It appears I need to download Jeffrey Friedl's "Metadata Wrangler" LR plug-in. I will report back tonight on my results.

I have not previously used Terminal or written Apple scripts so I may need some additional coaching on this technical issue. I'm just a photographer trying to keep a client happy.

• 21. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried using the LR Web module Export? The JPEG image files can be pulled from the Content> Images> Large folder. The Classic Gallery Templates allow setting long edge image size and Quality etc. in the Web module. You can save the settings as a 'New Template.' Not sure if it will fix the metadata issue, but worth a try.

• 22. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                    andrewfreeman Level 3

PalmettoDave wrote:

@andrewfreeman:

The two files that I placed in the Dropboxes do have the same export settings.

Just checking... I'm trying to account for the 2KB difference in the files.

How about this? It seems to be a JPEG export plugin?

» JPEGrescan plugin for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

• 23. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                      PalmettoDave Level 1

@johnrellis:

Also, could you find out from your client what software they're using, if they know?  We can add that to the bug report to help Adobe understand the scope of the problem.

I will make the inquiry but I think the likelihood of the client knowing that they are using "xframes V2.7.26" reporting software or something like that is low given that they did not know what a JPEG was and told me to buy another camera.

This client has proprietary report generation software that they paid an outside developer to create. They expect it to work every time without additional cost to them, forever. I am one of dozens of in-the-field photographers they use, and they process hundreds of photographs every day through their report software. Consequently, they view their report software as a black box that should never be touched. Nevertheless, let me see what I can find out. Maybe they will tell me who the software developer was that created the custom report software, and I can follow up with that developer. It will likely take a day or two to get an answer.

• 24. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                        John, I will try this solution and report back to you. It appears I need to download Jeffrey Friedl's "Metadata Wrangler" LR plug-in. I will report back tonight on my results.

The Metadata Wrangler plugin solves the other metadata problem.  For this problem, you'll need his Run Any Command plugin, and where to download and how to configure it is described here: Lightroom CC: JPEG format tripping up other programs

• 25. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                          Maybe they will tell me who the software developer was that created the custom report software, and I can follow up with that developer. It will likely take a day or two to get an answer.

I don't think it's worth that effort, thanks.  If it is custom software (as opposed to a widely used commercial package), then it won't have much meaning to Adobe other than that it's yet another Web service that doesn't work with LR 6. 

• 26. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                            PalmettoDave Level 1

@johnrellis

For this problem, you'll need his Run Any Command plugin, and where to download and how to configure it is described here: Lightroom CC: JPEG format tripping up other programs

John, I'm pleased to report two workarounds.

The first one I came up with myself. I simply redefined the export preset to export TIF files at 640 pixels wide. Although the files take up about 20X the space as a JPEG of the same width, the client software can swallow the TIF file and not choke. This is easy and free. The disadvantages are that the larger file size slows uploads noticeably and the uploaded files end up consuming more client server space.

The second successful workaround is your suggestion. I first installed Exiftool, then installed the Run Any Command plugin. I then tried exporting with the following command line in the Command to Execute box of the Run Any Command plugin:

exiftool -m -all= -tagsfromfile @ -all:all -icc_profile -unsafe "{FILE}"

This works fine even in batch mode when multiple photos are being exported.

It's almost a perfect solution, but there's one small glitch. Each output file has a file of the same name but the suffix ".jpg_original" which has no use to me. There is a clerical confusion produced by having twice as many files in the output folder as wanted, with the extra ones having almost identical names. For example, outputting a JPEG under the name "ClientPhoto" puts both of these in the output folder:

ClientPhoto.jpg

ClientPhoto.jpg_original

Would it be possible to have a command line in the "Command to execute upon completion" box that trashed all of these unneeded files, so the operator isn't required to pick the right ones out of the list? It sounds simple to do but when there are many to do and eyes get weary, it makes for an easy clerical error. The extra jpg_original files are useless to me and represent an opportunity for error. I just know that with hundreds of these done every month, the wrong version will get clicked a few times and cause bad uploads to the client.

I have no experience with command lines and script-writing so would greatly appreciate your advice.

• 27. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                              PalmettoDave Level 1

@trshaner:

Have you tried using the LR Web module Export?

TR. thank you for your clever suggestion. The client report I am attempting to complete runs within my web browser and asks me to pick the photos to upload, one at a time, from files on my hard drive so they are placed in the client's photo database. Only the photos are uploaded. Text is typed directly into the client's web form. This is done multiple times during a work day.

I tried the LR web module and an export to a classic gallery, and the output JPEGs did appear in the "large" folder as you predicted. I expected they would likely have the same metadata issue as JPEGs from the direct export, but to my surprise they did not. When I uploaded them to the client site, the JPEGS created your way were sharp. I'm surprised that the web publishing engine for LR-CC extracts these differently than the still-shot extraction section I'm used to using. The metadata header (if that's the source of the problem) seems to be fine.

Unfortunately, my test export of 8 images created 45 files. The photos were buried within a file structure that had many files not needed for my client. Although your solution seems to work, this makes it suboptimal for me. I need a clerically simple approach that avoids creating unnecessary files that could be uploaded to the client in error.

• 28. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                                PalmettoDave Level 1

@andrewfreeman:

How about this? It seems to be a JPEG export plugin?

» JPEGrescan plugin for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

Andrew, I have just finished installing and testing this plugin. I'm pleased to report that it seems to solve the problem with no other issues. Note that the "Strip Metadata" option box must be checked or there is no benefit. If the "Strip Metadata" box is unchecked the uploaded JPEGs are still fuzzy.

As long as the "Strip Metadata" box is checked, the output files JPEGrescan creates are sharp on the client's report even though they are 640-pixels-wide JPEGs. JPEGrescan does not require me to learn any Terminal skills. It creates no extra files cluttering my output. It has a quirky behavior in that a small popup after the export momentarily reports the number of bytes "saved" and seconds "wasted" after every use, but I can live with that. it also keeps its cumulative performance stats in the Lightroom Plug-in Manager (more Finnish quirkiness, maybe it's the long winters?). The writer charges modest sums for his other plug-ins but does not ask anything for JPEGrescan, so I guess it's free (I don't think he'd object to a donation, though).

Thank you for your solution, which I judge to be the best short-term workaround until Adobe resolves the issue more permanently with a native export option supporting the "classic" metadata style.

• 29. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                                  richardplondon Level 4

You can add  " -overwrite_original " [preceded with a hyphen, words spaced with an underscore, no quote marks]

into your current string of instructions for Exiftool, so that it doesn't make those safety backups in the first place.

ClientPhoto.jpg

ClientPhoto.jpg_original

Would it be possible to have a command line in the "Command to execute upon completion" box that trashed all of these unneeded files,

• 30. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                                    andrewfreeman Level 3

Glad you got it working :-)

• 31. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?

Good.  I've updated the problem report in the official feedback forum to include the JPEGrescan workaround and the use of the -overwrite_original Exiftool options.

When you think you've got a stable solution and you get a chance, please add your vote and opinion to that report: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-cc-jpeg-format-tripping-up -other-programs

• 32. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                                        PalmettoDave Level 1

I regret to report that this problem with JPEG formatting seems to have returned. This seems to have happened about the time of the "2015.2 Release" through Creative Cloud.

The original problem was that exported JPEGs showed as low-resolution, blurry versions of what appears quite sharp onscreen within LR. It seemed to be the consensus that the internal JPEG thumbnail preview was being enlarged instead of the correct resolution being used, and this was due to a JPEG formatting incompatibility. Using Jeffrey Friedl's "Run Any Command" Post-Process Filter with the command string

exiftool -m -all= -tagsfromfile @ -all:all -icc_profile -unsafe -overwrite_original "{FILE}"

had eliminated the problem.

Unfortunately, I note tonight that the in 2015.2 LR_CC the problem has returned. Images that are quite sharp onscreen look very blurry in JPEGs extracted to 640x480, even when the command string cited above is used.

This is a real issue for me as my work requires quick delivery of 20-150 JPEGs in my customer's online reporting system every day. I do not have control over the customer's reporting system and need my JPEGs to look good in the customer's reports.

It's obviously dismaying that a bug that we finally managed to work around has reappeared with the new release.

Any advice?

• 33. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?

Can you upload to Dropbox (or similar) a sample exported JPEG showing the issue?  We can put the file under the microscope to see if there's anything awry.

• 34. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?
                                                                            PalmettoDave Level 1

John, here is a link showing 3 seemingly sharp JPEGs extracted from 2015.2 LR-CC, followed by screenshots of the same JPEGs appearing in my customer's reporting system. You can see the JPEGs that look sharp in my local files are quite blurry in the customer's reporting system. This is reminiscent of the problem with JPEG headers that was fixed with the Friedl patch.

Dropbox - Misread JPEGs from LR

I have no control over my customer's software, must upload anywhere from 20-150 JPEGs into it daily, and the customer has no tech support to respond to a potential statement of the nature "I'm sending clear JPEGs but your reporting software is messing up." All I know from my end is that the Friedl patch worked perfectly until 2015.2 was installed on my computer.

When I open the extracted JPEGs on my local Mac, they look fine.

The problem occurs whether I have the Friedl patch turned on or turned off; with 2015.2 the Friedl patch doesn't seem to help.

• 35. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?

I examined the low-level format of the JPEGs you uploaded and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  They did not show any sign of being affected by the problem you originally encountered, and they look vanilla.  So far, yours is the only report I've seen on the forums of incompatibilities with CC 2015.2.

I suggest a couple of workarounds:

1. Revert back to CC 2015.1.1: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-roll-back-to-lightroom-2015-1-1-or-lightroom-6-1-1/.  It's easy to do, but it may just kick the can down the road, deferring resolution of the underlying problem.

2. You could try this Exiftool command line to delete the preview thumbnail from the JPEG:

exiftool -m -thumbnailimage= -overwrite_original "{FILE}"

Maybe that will force your client's software to read the actual image, rather than the thumbnail preview. But if the software relies on the thumbnail elsewhere, this might be problematic.

• 36. Re: LR-CC JPG extraction different from LR5?

Also, try this troubleshooting step:  Take one of the exported photos, open it in Photoshop, resave it, and then upload it to the client.  Does it still exhibit the problem?  If so, then it's much less likely this is something originating in LR.