5 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 1:57 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere elements 13 questions: workspace saving, timeline zoom, project defaults

chamelious

3 simple questions.

1. How do i save a workspace, and set it to be the defualt. Everytime premiere elements opens, it reverts back to a single monitor view, and i have to set it all up again. Even for saved projects.

2. How can i set up the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in/out on the timeline.

3. How do i set project defaults. Everytime i open elements it starts an NSTC 30fps, and i want PAL 25fps. When i start a new project, it defaults to the NSTC location and navigating to PAL is a pain.

[Duplicate question removed... Mod]

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 13 questions: workspace saving, timeline zoom, project defaults
          chamelious Level 1

Addiotional question:

Lining up tracks with audio is awkward, because when i drag them, the waveforms aren't visible until the movement is completed, can this be changed?

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 13 questions: workspace saving, timeline zoom, project defaults
            A.T. Romano Level 7

chamelious

1. The Premiere Elements Dual Monitor system has a known issue regarding remembering the dual monitor workspace established in a project before a save close of that project.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Dual Monitor Workflow Concerns

The above appears to apply to 13 as well.

No resolution.

2. I will get back to this one later regarding Timeline Zoom....the following may be of interest....

0018. Premiere Elements 13 Expert Workspace Timeline Area Mouse Wheel Scrolling Issue: Bernard Solution

In prior versions of Premiere Elements, mouse scroll wheel has been used to scroll the Timeline, moving the Timeline Indicator from left to right or right to left - frame by frame. This is not the case in Premiere Elements 13 Expert workspace.Timeline. Instead, there the mouse scroll wheel scrolling results in the movement of the Timeline tracks up or down or up and down in the Timeline panel.

Bernard has posted the discovery that mouse scroll wheel scrolling in Premiere Elements 13 Expert workspace Timeline can result in the left to right or right to left movement and gave the how to details. Incredible findings by Bernard.

The essentials of what Bernard did and observed include

• With zoom in max set in the -+ slider above the Timeline, position the mouse with the scroll wheel at a blank space to the right or left of the Edit area monitor, and scroll. An 11 frames movement (left to right or right to left)  results from each nudge of the mouse scroll wheel.
            • If the Premiere Elements 13 icon in the Taskbar is clicked twice before doing the scroll as described above,  the result is a 1 frame movement (left to right or right to left) with each nudge of the mouse scroll wheel.

Commentary...we have confirmed Bernard's findings in Premier Elements 13 on Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit.  But more work needs to be done with quantifying the scenario which results with the 11 frames movement per nudge of the mouse scroll wheel. So far, the degree of zoom in does not appear to influence the results.

3. The default appear to be being established by the language/country used in program installation. What language did you select during installation.

Without further information, it is likely that the solution is to reinstall with the language/country appropriate for PAL. Right now I am not seeing a way to change this.

To be continued

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 13 questions: workspace saving, timeline zoom, project defaults
              chamelious Level 1

Thanks for your response, though the answers are shocking.

A known issue completely untreated for 2 major versions? Unacceptable. Basic mousewheel functionality not included? Ridiculous. Unable to change default settings for a project? Again ridiculous.

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 13 questions: workspace saving, timeline zoom, project defaults
                A.T. Romano Level 7

chamelious

Just to make sure we are together on the following.....

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 will open by default to either

NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 (if NTSC set up in program installation) and PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 (if PAL set up in program installation). No way that I know to change that opening default.

But, once you open a Premiere Elements 13/13.1 new project, you can create a new project with the project preset of choice for that project.

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, you set the project preset to match the properties of your source media....OK out of there.

Then in the New Project dialog that opens next, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.

Then back in the Expert workspace, import you source video.

In 13/13.1, I know of no way to change project settings after the project preset has been established by you (manually) or the project (automatically) based on the properties of the first video/first video dragged to the TImeline. Edit Menu/Project Settings/General does not offer significant opportunities for changing project settings after they have been established. I found a way to do this in versions earlier than 13/13.1 but not 13/13.1.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: Changing Project Preset Without Starting A New Project Revisited

More on the rest of your questions shortly. Also, if you purchased Premiere Elements 13 as a download from Adobe and are within 30 days of purchase and you find that the program does not meet your requirements, you should be able to request a return/refund.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/return-cancel-or-change-order.html

If you purchased from other than the Adobe download, then you are governed by the return/refund policy of the seller of the program.

Please do not hesitate to ask if any questions or need clarification on any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 13 questions: workspace saving, timeline zoom, project defaults
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

chamelious

Regarding using the mouse scroll wheel in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 for Timeline zooming, I have never found a way or a mouse with scroll wheel to do that. Until proven otherwise, I do not believe the opportunity exists to do that with the mouse scroll wheel. As I have already pointed to, using Bernard's discovery, you can use the mouse scroll wheel to move about the Timeline from right to left/left to right or up/down down/up.

I know that, in Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 Editor, the mouse scroll wheel can be used for photo zooming after you set the preference "Zoom with Scroll Wheel" in Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 Editor Edit Menu/Preferences/General. It appears that this preference works for the Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 Editor but doe not carry over to the Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

There was a 2012 thread which insisted on a can do for mouse scroll wheel zooming which was assumed to be for Premiere Elements since the post appeared in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

Mouse wheel zoom on timeline is too aggressive

In that thread, it is difficult to know if the user was working with Premiere Pro, Photoshop Elements or something else. The thread was left dangling. But, make it clear, I have not found holding down the Alt key enables a mouse scroll wheel to offer Timeline zoom. All I have found is Bernard's how to mouse wheel movement (right left/left right and up down/down up) of the Timeline as described in post 2

ATR