Today we're pleased to announce that the next version of AIR is available for immediate download. AIR 17 adds both new features and important bug fixes for the desktop platforms!
Please note that this build was not certified or tested against our mobile platforms. We recommend mobile developers target AIR 184.108.40.206 or the latest AIR 18 beta release on labs.
Below are some of the key features and benefits of AIR 17. Please see our release notes for full details.
- ADT Packaging time Improvement with Support for Parallel Compilation for iOS
AIR 16 introduced support for compilation and packaging of iOS applications for both 32 bit and 64 bit platforms. With this improvement, we can now compile 32 and 64 bit architecture in parallel to cut packaging times up to 50 percent.
- Stage3D - Standard Extended Profile for Mobile
In recent releases of the Runtime we've added support for Standard and Standard Constrained Stage3D profiles. With AIR 17 we're adding a new Standard Extended Profile for iOS and Android devices that support GLES3. Availability of the “standardExtended" profile indicates the availability of AGAL3. The same profile name can then be used in requestContext3D and requestContext3DMatchingProfiles methods of Stage3D.
The “standardExtended” profile requires OpenGL ES 3.0 which is present on many high end smartphones and tablets. AGAL3 increases register limits for vertex attributes, fragment constants and tokens. While we're focusing on mobile first, we anticipate bringing this functionality to the desktop in a future update.
To assemble the new AGAL, update AGALMiniAssembler.as (AGAL v3) from https://github.com/adobe-flash/graphicscorelib/.
- VideoTexture Support in AIR for Windows, Mac and iOS
We've introduced a new ActionScript feature that allows hardware accelerated video to be used as a source texture in a Stage3D environment. Currently, using video with Stage3D requires the use of the Video object, which is not accelerated, and manipulation of the bitmap representations of the video frames. This new feature, called VideoTexture, allows direct access to a texture object that is sourced from a Netstream or Camera object. As of the first Flash Player 17 this feature is back and now available on AIR Mac, Windows and iOS. Look for Android support in an upcoming release. Please see the VideoTexture blog post for implementation details.
- Multiple security and functional fixes
- [iPhone 6 +] Inverted launch image is displayed for split sec when device kept at rotated right Landscape orientation (AspectRatio is landscape and AutoOrients is false). (3945071)
- Keyboard Orientation did not changed from Portrait to landscape after setting stage aspect ratio to landscape and the text area moves upwards.(3948135)
- Texture format mismatch" while uploading BitmapData to a Texture on Samsung Galaxy Tab (Bug 3959595)
- [Android] FLV video encoded with H264 is not working with stage video, video is not getting rendered (Bug 3950740)
- ld error “ld: in , unsupported address encoding (13) of personality function in CIE for architecture arm64Compilation failed while executing : ld64" on packaging with WIN SDK. (Bug 3950027)
- [Air Desktop] Graphical glitches when rotating an element inside of a sprite.(3949851)
- [Air Desktop] [Video Texture] Glitches in Video on Intel 4400 Graphics Card on Window 7.(3937062)
- [Air Desktop] Gestures doesn't work well with StageWebView. (3806251)
AIR 17 runtime for Windows: 220.127.116.11 Runtime Download
AIR 17 runtime for Macintosh: 18.104.22.168 Runtime Download
AIR 17 SDK & Compiler for Windows: 22.214.171.124 SDK & Compiler Download
AIR 17 SDK & Compiler for Macintosh: 126.96.36.199 SDK & Compiler Download
Note: To provide all the all the necessary tools for our developers in one place and avoid having to download multiple components, we are packaging Adobe AIR 17 SDK and ActionScript Compiler 2.0 in a single SDK called “Adobe AIR 17 SDK & Compiler”.
AIR SDK 17 (Compatible with Flex) for Windows: 188.8.131.52 SDK Windows Download
AIR SDK 17 (Compatible with Flex) for Macintosh: 184.108.40.206 SDK Macintosh Download
Previous versions of the AIR runtime and SDK can be found on the Archived AIR SDK and Runtimes page