19 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 9:46 AM by thomas gm42778630

why doesn't timeline won't playback

thomas gm42778630

I am using Elements 13 on a PC, Windows 7. Everything was fine. I spent hours editing video. Then the timeline stopped playing. I cannot get it to play. I try the play button and the space bar, and it just sits there. I have seen some discussions of this problem, and some people have "resoled" it by deleting the preferences file, but I can't find that file on my system. I have a lot of video and an approaching deadline.

Can anybody help?

• 1. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback
          A.T. Romano Level 7

thomas gm

In Windows 7 64 bit, the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (settings file/preferences) can be found in the path

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

But, you may be getting into problems related to the size and complexity of the project versus the system resources - to be considered if the above does not impact the issue. Have you looked for pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files? Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks (Video Previews and Media Cache) as well as Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database "Clean Now" button.

Please review and consider, and, if any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback
            thomas gm42778630 Level 1

Thanks very much. I'll give this a look when my enormous backup is done.

• 3. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

It still doesn't work. This is a catastrophe; I have a lot of work to get done and the deadline is approaching.

I deleted the pref file. The project opened, but would not play.

I deleted the 13 folder. The project opened and played back briefly then stopped.

Now I cannot reliably get the project to open.

It seems hopeless.

Should I uninstall and reinstall the software?

Thanks,

Tom

• 4. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

When I double-click the project file nothing happens. I get the little wheel icon for a second then it disappears.

• 5. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

thomas gm

Do not give up.

You went through deleting the preferences and that did not work. Did you check for pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files?

No pile ups?

Did you assure that the problem exists with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled. If your computer uses McAfee, McAfee is notorious for its interaction with Premiere Elements.

When you were doing all this, were you working from 13 or the 13.1 Update? If 13, then update to 13.1 and determine if that has any impact on the problem.

For that, open a new project and in the opened new project's use Help Menu/Updates to do the updating. Then close that project and try to open the existing project that would not open or stay open.

Also, Edit Menu/Preferences, Scratch Disks and let us know where they are pointed to and how much free space is there.

If all that does not work, then

Uninstall the usual Control Panel way

Do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)

Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Then try to open the project. The existing project should not be affected by this uninstall reinstall. Just (under no conditions, move, delete, or rename source files that were imported into that project after you saved closed it).

We will be keeping positive thoughts for your success.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

Thanks for your quick reply.

Not sure how to check for pileups, but there does seem to be enough available disk.

I tried to create a new video project from within the organizer. Nothing happened. It did not create anything.

I have the latest update.

Not using McAfee.

Will try uninstalling.

• 7. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

thomas gm

Thanks for the update.

Just backing up for the moment.

Trying to create a new project is a good troubleshooting step, but how did you involve the Elements Organizer in this? Had you already tried to create a new project in the Premiere Elements Editor and you could not?

Whatever the case, the uninstall/free ccleaner run through/reinstall should be in the list of troubleshooting at this stage.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

We will be watching for your results from that.

Pile Ups....default for a and b is Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0...you can verify locations for a and b by checking Video Previews and Media Cache categories in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

a. Delete contents of Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder - Timeline content will need re-rendering if you really need to see the best possible preview.

b. Delete contents of Media Cache Files Folder - consequence automatic generation if and when needed again

c. Hit Clean Now - Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database area - consequence automatic generation if and when needed again

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

I have done everything you suggested, in the order you suggested, but nothing has changed. Over the past two weeks I have created 5 projects, all of them around 2 hours long, and none of them work.  Thgis makes me sick. I guess I will have to buy somebody else's software and start over.

• 9. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

FYI, I just closed Premiere and then tried to reopen a project. It did not open.

• 10. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

thomas gm

Thanks for the follow ups and exploring the troubleshooting.

You wrote in post 9....I just closed Premiere and then tried to reopen a project...it did not open....

What did you try to reopen - one of the 5 projects (2 hours each) or a new saved closed 6th project (2 hours, latest project)?

If you want to invest more time in trying to salvage what you have, the end of the line troubleshooting might include....

a. creating a new user account with administrative privileges and installing and trying to run Premiere Elements from there..

b. getting a new source of installation files

But, because of the nature of the problem and the results of the different troubleshooting schemes, I am suspecting a basic issue

a. in the build and or duration of the project

b. storage locations and handing of source media

1. Can you build a project to 1 hour, save and close it, and reopen it without issue?

2. Can you build a project to 1.5 hours, save and close it, and reopen it without issue?

You might want to take a look at the Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged projects to see if there is anything in that will be a break through to solving your issue.

Troubleshoot a damaged project file | Adobe Premiere Elements

Do you have any unusual setup for the Scratch Disks?

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

I am unable to create a project; Premiere simply ignores my attempt to do. This means that I cannot try out some of the things you are suggesting.

As for the durations, this has not been a problem up to now. The software choked on the fifth project. The first four were OK back when I used to be able to open them.

As for your suggestion that I create another user, I can try that, but I am right now the only user and have administrative privileges.If do this, are you saying that I need to re-install premiere?

• 12. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

I just selected a brief mp4 video in the organizer and tried to edit it in Premiere. Nothing happened.

• 13. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

thomas gm

Thanks for the replies.

If you were to create the new user account with administrative privileges, you would need to install Premiere Elements there.

This troubleshooting would be trying to rule in or out a corrupt user account.

These "it worked before but not know" issues give the advantage of knowing that the feature did work in the program in the particular computer environment. But, that does not lessen the task of finding the "why".

Please review the thread and see if there is anything that you may have overlooked in the plans.

Please let me know what is listed in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks for each of the categories of scratch disks listed....location/path as well as what is showing for free hard drive space at the save location for each scratch disks.

You could also explore a new source of installation files....download and install the free tryout of 13 from the following web site, and then insert your purchased serial number into them during installation. To avoid an Access Denied message, be sure to follow carefully the web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions".

Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

Have you had a chance to go systematically through the Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged projects?

More later.

ATR

• 14. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

Here's what happened when I created a new admin user account.

It allowed me to create a new project. Using the expert mode, I imported aI file that I knew was only a few minutes long.   So far so good.   Then I imported another one that is 67 minutes long.   I could play it I the timeline, but the Home and End buttons did not work at first, but

Perked up after I cut one of the clips. That's weird but probably unimportant.  Then I imported the longest clip, lasting 2:45:13.     Then I'm added a bunch of jpg files and added them all to the timeline.   Playback still,worked, as did the End and Home buttons.  Then I opened the project I was working on as the other user, the one I first had problems with.   At first it worked ok, but the it stopped playing. It is very long at this point, a little over 3 hours.  Could that be the problem?  If so, I am Ina fix, because the files I am working with are long.

I am too tired to continue. I will pick this up again in the morning.

Sent from my iPad

• 15. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

All the scratch disk settings point to the same disk.  It has 1.36 T available.

• 16. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

thomas gm

Thanks for the update.

The long video files and computer resources need to be targeted for troubleshooting. But, what are the pixel dimensions of this bunch of jpg files that you are adding to the Timeline content? If way over 1920 x 1080, resizing the jpgs to 1920 x 1080 (if consistent with your project settings) may not cure the problem, but may give you an advantage. Nonetheless, we should go over your computer resources.

I will be watching for your progress later today.

Best wishes

ATR

• 17. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

I have been going through the procedures you pointed me to. I don't know what it all adds up to, but here goes.

I opened a project from within Premiere. It opened OK and I was able to get to play back for a matter of seconds, then it stopped.

By the way, I restarted the computer after each step.

I created a new project (called Troubleshooting)  without any problems.

I was unable to recreate the plugin cache because I did not understand the instructions.

I tried to re-open the project I created, but it failed. I clicked and the screen went away, closing Premiere.

I opened an archived copy of one of the projects. It played back for a few seconds, then quit. The nav buttons (home, end, up, down) all worked.

I deleted a clip from this project, bringing the length down from 3 hours to 90 minutes. (By the way, the intended length at completion should be around 1:45 to 2 hours).

I renamed the folders containing the assets then opened a project and skipped all files when it asked. The project opened with all assets offline.

I located one of the clips for the project.  I could not get it to play back.

I imported the clip and it played back, but the problem is that it did not replace itself in the timeline; it just came in as yet another clip. Does this mean that all my projects are sick and that I have to start all over again?

Thanks,

Tom

• 18. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Thanks for the update.

What was the status of the Timeline clip that you were about to re-import into the project. Did it have a missing media colorful display or just its typical video image?

When you re-imported the clip into the Timeline and it became just another clip on the Timeline, did you re-import it from the same location where it was when the original file was imported into the project?

If you can get into each project and correct the offending file, you should be able to continue in each of the previous projects.

Please explore....

a. Importing clip anew to get its thumbnail in Project Assets

b. Move the Timeline Indicator to the start of the problem original clip

c. Right click the re-import's thumbnail in Project Assets, select Overwrite.

Does not work for you.

I was going to suggest Replace Footage, but I am still thinking about that.

ATR

• 19. Re: why doesn't timeline won't playback

I have 5 projects. Project 5 is giving me the fits. I deleted every graphic, every jpg and bmp, from it. It still fails. It is composed of two raw clips. I deleted the second one. It still failed. I have gone back to project 4 (which contains some parts of the clip in project 5) and so far it is working.

One question I have is why premiere fails to open. It seems that I can run it and open a project file, then close the file and close premiere. When I come back to premiere, it offers me the usual choice of the video editor or the organiser. I select video editor and it offers to open a current one or create a new one. I ask to open a current one. It fails: the whole app just disappears. The only way I have found to open a project is to restart the computer. Wha?

I plan to finish up the first 4 projects and then to address the issue of the 5th one. I will let you know how that works out.