4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2015 7:20 AM by A.T. Romano

Getting an error "something is preventing a successful burn" when trying to burn a dvd in PE13.

dsoskin

Getting an error "something is preventing a successful burn" when trying to burn a dvd in PE13. Using windows 8.1 fully updated and PE13 fully updated. Can burn DVD's from other programs and drive will read any cd or dvd fine. I have tried 2 different BD/DVD external drives and re-installed PE13. Still getting same error. I'm about ready to return software. has anybody seen this?

• 1. Re: Getting an error "something is preventing a successful burn" when trying to burn a dvd in PE13.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a disc... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cd-dvd-drive-recognized-application.html

Set your Premiere Elements DVD output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE Imgburn to burn the folder to disc for DVD... Premiere Elements 13 WILL write a DVD or BluRay to an ISO (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons... Set Imgburn to use the slowest burn speed your drive and media will use... I set my burn speed to 1x and let Imgburn adjust to the actual minimum

• 2. Re: Getting an error "something is preventing a successful burn" when trying to burn a dvd in PE13.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

dsoskin

From what you wrote there is no issue with the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 recognizing your burner(s). And, you are not getting any No Media Present messages.

I would prefer to start the troubleshooting directed at known Premiere Elements 13/13.1 issues.

a. Does the problem exist with and without the preference regarding Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher disabled in Edit Menu/Preferences/General?

b. Are you doing burn to disc DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc? Does the project have a movie menu theme included? If so

how many Timeline menu markers (any stop marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline) and any overlapping buttons presenting with red frames in the Movie Menu customization area of the project?

c. Have you confirmed that the issue presents if you are doing burn to disc, ISO Image, or Folder?

Please review and consider, supply more information, and then we will decide next step troubleshooting.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Getting an error "something is preventing a successful burn" when trying to burn a dvd in PE13.
              RussKing

I can burn a Blu-ray of my Africa project (1.8 GB) but not a DVD.  I get the errmsg, "something is preventing a successful burn"

But I can burn a DVD of my son's July 4 parade (409 MB). Size matters, it seems.  Try creating a new, small project and see if you can burn it to DVD.

The DVD Burn dialog box in PE13.1 displays space required.  It should fit onto a DVD.  It seems to be misleading because the DVD I could burn, only 409 MB, ate up about half the DVD disc.  I can see the part that is written after the burn.  But the DVD is rated to hold 4.7 GB.

• 4. Re: Getting an error "something is preventing a successful burn" when trying to burn a dvd in PE13.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

RussKing

You have also posted the same post in the thread of another. There I wrote to you

RussKing

About the specifications on those DVD disc...

For the DVD disc with label 4.7 GB/120 minutes, in reality that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB.

For the DVD disc with label 8.5 GB/240 minutes, in reality that 8.5 GB is 7.95 GB.

It may not necessarily be size, but rather Timeline content and some factor in the compiling of that content - gaps, transition placement, effects, titles, movie menus (Timeline marker and main menu/scene button).

Of concern - when you wrote

DVD I could burn, only 409 MB, ate up about half the DVD disc.

Did you have any Timeline leftovers beyond the intended Timeline content? What was the extent of complexity of that Timeline content?

What was the bitrate of that Timeline content represented by the file size of 409 MB? The burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc works off a variable bitrate of 8.00 Mbps. Was the bitrate of the Timeline content less than 8.00 Mbps?

Please remind me if these unsuccessful projects were successful when the movie movie and the Timeline markers were removed from the project prior to burn to disc DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

Please consider, and we will put these details together.

Thank you.

ATR

It would be a good idea to start a new thread on your issue rather than us going back and forward between the two add ons that you have placed in the thread of 2 others today. We are likely to lose important troubleshooting information, and we are both likely to lose track of the threads in which we are trying to exchange troubleshooting information.

Please consider. We will be watching for your new thread.

Best wishes

ATR