4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2015 12:38 PM by dj_paige

lightroom 5 all edits gone

mikef20614564

All edits in my entire catalog are gone.

This just happened over the last week, uncertain exactly when.

The only thing that changed is I renamed a few folders outside of LR, and then re-imported them.

On import, the edits show initially in group mode, but then all go away as the pictures complete loading, leaving only the unedited nef file.

Only the "raw" nef files are there. !

Their respective xmp files are in the correct folders, appropriately dated.

LR 5 / Win 7.

What has happened?

How do I fix it??

How do I prevent it going forward???

Thanks,

- Mike

• 1. Re: lightroom 5 all edits gone
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you move folders outside LR and then re-import them all of the editing information for those files is erased from the catalog. Open LR using your most recent Catalog backup file and then reconnect the '?' missing folders as outlined here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/locate-missing-photos.html

If you do not have a Catalog backup file your edits are permanently lost.

• 2. Re: lightroom 5 all edits gone
            dj_paige Level 9

The only thing that changed is I renamed a few folders outside of LR, and then re-imported them.

Big mistake. You don't ever (that's never never ever) re-import photos. As you have seen, this can cause loss of edits and metadata.

You should either move the photos using Lightroom; or move the photos in your operating system and then re-connect (not re-import) as trshaner has explained.

Or, even better yet, develop a workflow where you don't need to move photos (with one exception that I'll explain in a minute). If you want the photos to end up in Folder B, then put them in folder B immediately when they come out of the camera. Don't put them in Folder A and then later move them to Folder B. Not only is this "not moving the photos workflow" less work, but it avoids the problems that people have encountered when moving photos. (Exception: if you need to move photos to a new disk or new computer, then you should move them in your operating system and reconnect)

• 3. Re: lightroom 5 all edits gone
              mikef20614564 Level 1

Thanks all.

One thing ...

"or move the photos in your operating system and then re-connect"

What do you mean by "re-connect" ..?

• 4. Re: lightroom 5 all edits gone
                dj_paige Level 9

It is explained in the link given by trshaner