5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 1:03 AM by klaasm

Folders disappeared after upgrade

klaasm

I updated from Lightroom 4 to Lightroom 6. I have multiple catalogs. In all of them there are folders missing in my library. They are still on my hard drive but they are not in Lightroom anymore. I have no idea how to get them back. Will I loose all my rating, editing and so on when I put via import (add folder)? They are sorted by year. So for example 2009-2011 is there and 2012-2015 are not in the folder list. I think this happened on an update from LR 3 to 4 also but it is too long ago. How do I get the Folders back in my LR? Its a MAC

Best

Klaas

• 1. Re: Ordners disappeared after upgrade
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The first thing to check would be the collapsed view in the Folders panel.

If needed, right-click on a folder and select "show parent". Repeat as needed.

• 2. Re: Ordners disappeared after upgrade
            Joshua Cohen Level 3

klaasm wrote:

In all of them there are folders missing in my library. They are still on my hard drive but they are not in Lightroom anymore.

Is it safe to assume that these folders have photos in them?

klaasm wrote:

Will I loose all my rating, editing and so on when I put via import (add folder)?

Don't understand this question. What folders you have in your library has no bearing on importing.

klaasm wrote:

I have multiple catalogs.

Why? In general it is a bad idea to have multiple catalogs. Although I don't believe this is the root of your issue.

• 3. Re: Folders disappeared after upgrade
              klaasm Level 1

Hi there,

thanks for the replys. Half of the Folders are still in Lightroom library. On the hard drive there are all photos and folders. Nothing is lost from the photos. Some filders just do not appear in the library anymore. I also do not want to loose all my ratings, tagging and so on. I post an example below. Years 2009-till 2012 where there. Folder 2013,2014 and 2015 where missing. I added some files from the vacation I have been on but only the new one appear in 2015.

klaasm wrote:

I have multiple catalogs.

-> Why? In general it is a bad idea to have multiple catalogs. Although I don't believe this is the root of your issue.

I do have multiple catalog because back in 2007 Lightroom was very slow for handling many photos. So I made catalogs for travel, portrait, landscape and so on. I do have 5 catalogs. If you know how to combine all of them into one, I would be thankful as well. The speed of Lightroom for MAC is good enough to handle all of them together I guess.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-06-16 um 20.09.18.png

• 4. Re: Folders disappeared after upgrade
                Joshua Cohen Level 3

To combine multiple catalogs pick one to be the master or start a new catalog (File>New Catalog) then import the others into it (File>Import from Another Catalog...) DO NOT re-import the images themselves. You will loose all edits and make a big mess.

My guess is that once you get all your catalogs into one the missing folders will appear. I'm guessing they are just not in the catalog you think they are.

Users report single catalogs with hundreds of thousands of images without performance issues. If you are having performance issues I would look elsewhere to solve them.

• 5. Re: Folders disappeared after upgrade
                  klaasm Level 1

I created a new catalog an tried to import the other one. It said that the folder from the last year would still be not be imported.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-06-18 um 09.18.32.png

So I did the same thing with the older catalog from my lightroom 4 which still exists. It said that that I have to update the catalog before I can import them. I checked yes and afterwards, I got an import window with the older files as well.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-06-18 um 09.55.28.png

Well I haven't imported many photos yet after the crash. Maybe I try to create one catalog an reimport the older ones from LR4 and reupdate. Maybe all files will be in there when I do it again. Forget about why I have many catalogs. The strange thing is that in all catalogs the folders from the last years did not appear. It did not happen once, it happened many times.