4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2015 11:27 AM by dj_paige

Why is develop module slowing down?

Boatphotog

I have noticed a trend over the past few months where the Develop module is getting slower and slower.  Sometimes when I use the adjustment brush things slow down so much as to make the brush almost unusable. At one point my catalog contained a bit more than 40,000 images so awhile ago I decided to do a house cleaning. Since then I have deleted a bit more than 4,000 images to get down to a total image collection of 36,000 images but the speed does not seem to have improved. I am running Adobe 3.6 on an iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB of memory.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Why is develop module slowing down?
          dj_paige Level 9

It is a known issue that heavy use of the adjustment brush will indeed cause slow downs.

If you need to use the brush a lot, you are better off doing the brushing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

This has nothing to do with the number of photos in your Lightroom catalog.

• 2. Re: Why is develop module slowing down?
            Pete.Green Adobe Employee

Hi BoatPhoto,

Here are a couple documents increasing performance in Lightroom.

helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/performance-hints.html

helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Regards

Pete

• 3. Re: Why is develop module slowing down?
              JohnGangloff

Pete, those steps to improving performance are fine, but they do not address nor solve the actual problem. The actual problem is that as one uses Lightroom (in my case, LR 6 standalone), performance slows down progressively while editing in the Develop module, to the point where the program is unusable. Exiting and restarting the program helps temporarily, but the slowdown soon recurs. I do not have this problem at all with my previous version of LR, and my system far exceeds the requirements for LR6. It seems that this problem is in the same category as the "Server Busy" error -- Adobe either does not know how to fix it (suggesting incompetence) or Adobe does not care enough to fix it.

• 4. Re: Why is develop module slowing down?
                dj_paige Level 9

If you are performing a lot of brushing or spot healing, it is a limitation of the design, as I explained.