3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2015 6:55 PM by A.T. Romano

Image correction accuracy

timothyd67252138

So Premiere Elements 13 has removed support for DV/HDV Import and export. It's a bummer, but not a deal breaker yet.

The various consumer/prosumer video editing packages I have used up until now have always had the option to output semi-realtime playback to a DV device so you could view it on an actual television.

I'm playing with the trial of Premiere Elements 13, on a Dell Precision Workstation, and not exactly happy with what I'm seeing. My monitor is a Dell 2408WFP and low-light footage looks incredibly dark. Adjusting brightness and contrast on the monitor did not help.

I know this footage is never going to look awesome, but I can't do anything to improve it if I can't see accurately how it will render on a TV.

Do I need something like a Spider to color calibrate the monitor? I remember older versions of windows having a window in the driver configuration where you could manually tweak color calibration, gamma, etc, but I can't seem to find these features in Windows 7.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Image correction accuracy
          A.T. Romano Level 7

timothyd

Have you actually been able to trigger the appearance of "Playback Settings" in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 in order to set up for TV previewing with your project?

In Premiere Elements 11, "Playback Settings dialog" can be accessed either

a. right clicking the Edit area monitor and selecting Playback Settings

or

b. go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and clicking on the Playback Settings tab there

Adobe document that would give details of that TV previewing in this instance can be found

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/previewing-movies.html

However, when you get to Premiere Elements 12, the "Playback Settings dialog" can no longer be found in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. One can still right click the Edit area monitor and see a choice for "Playback Settings" but "Playback Settings" is grayed out. Some say that connection of certain devices will enable "Playback Settings" so that it appear and you can open the "Playback Settings dialog". I have yet to find such a device - I have tried TV and computer monitors.

Now when you get to Premiere Elements 13, there is no evidence of "Playback Settings" anywhere, grayed out or not.

With regard to color calibrating a Windows 7 monitor, have you seen

Calibrate your display

ATR

• 2. Re: Image correction accuracy
            timothyd67252138 Level 1

Ok, I'm going through the instructions...

Right-clicking in the edit area monitor only shows "Playback Quality" with two choices, Automatic, and Maximum

There is no "Playback Settings" in the project settings dialog, only "General" "Capture" and "Video Render"

Monitor does not have a numeric Gamma, my choices are "PC" or "Mac" I left it on PC because it's Windows 7

It looks closer, but not quire there yet... maybe I'll burn a few different tweaks to a DVD-RW and see what it looks like on the TV

• 3. Re: Image correction accuracy
              A.T. Romano Level 7

timothyd

Thanks for the follow up.

We will look forward to learning of your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR