1 Reply Latest reply on May 13, 2015 8:37 PM by Migintosh

I am trying to open a document...

sargenmar

I originally created in CS6 version of InDesign in the CS5.5 version. It is giving me a plug-in error. I tried searching for updates using the HELP feature, but it stated my connection was not working and to try later. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: I am trying to open a document...
          Migintosh Level 4

InDesign files (Filename.indd) created in any version of InDesign cannot be opened in an earlier version. What you can do is to export to a different format, which an earlier version can open, but with some caveats. If you still have the newer version, open the file and go to File>Export and choose IDML. 5.5 should be able to open an IDML from 6. The caveat is that if there is a feature in the new version that isn't present in the old, the file will be different to a degree. The example I used to use years ago with Quark was when they added the type-on-a-path feature, and if you backsaved, any type on a path would still be in the file, but in a rectangular text box because the older version has no idea what type-on-a-path is.