2 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2015 7:42 PM by BelalJK

Why are my drawings saved as PNG files and not as vector files?

BelalJK

Hello everyone,

I've had Illustrator Draw installed on my iPhone 6 for well over a month now and can't seem to get it to work the way it's supposed to work. According to Adobe, the drawings we create on Illustrator Draw are supposed to convert into vector files on their own once saved or when you press "Send to Illustrator". Once I create a drawing on Illustrator Draw and press "Send to Illustrator" I only have to wait a few moments until the Illustrator program opens on its own on my computer. Unfortunately, the drawing won't open because it's not compatible with Illustrator. The drawing is being transported to Illustrator as a PNG file which is not supported. An error box shows up telling me this and then all efforts just end there. It's really frustrating. There isn't any way to change any settings related to this problem on the iPhone app or on the desktop. At least not from my investigating. I also cannot find the Libraries folder on Illustrator that Adobe shows in one of their video tutorials. I see a few different types of Library folders but none for selecting drawings I've made on Illustrator Draw.

I don't understand how, according to this video: Working with Adobe Shape & Adobe Illustrator Draw - YouTube , it works perfectly with the iPad. Is it really only meant for the iPad? Maybe there were some software/programming issues when making a version for the iPhone? I don't know.. All I know is that it doesn't work and it's frustrating.

I would really appreciate it if anyone from the Adobe team or someone from the forums could help solve this problem. There really isn't any point to having this Adobe app if it can't do what it's meant to do.

• 1. Re: Why are my drawings saved as PNG files and not as vector files?
          KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional

I was in a similar position when I tried to upload from Sketch and Line, but Draw should send to paths immediately.

(Sketch and Line illustrations require one more step, the conversion button, but Draw should just open immediately)

Check the version of your Adobe Draw app? or Illustrator CC? (I'm using 2014.1.1 and it seems to work fine from my iPhone 6)

Do the images from Adobe Sketch send to Illustrator and convert for you?

Illustrator / Libraries

There is a Window option for Libraries.

Additionally, there are ways to access your CC resources from other panels too.

libraries.jpg

As for the youtube video Working with Adobe Shape & Adobe Illustrator Draw - YouTube

Starting at 5:22, Geoff Dowd supposedly taps the screen, but I don't see him hit the button, do you?

I did - worked just fine (but I regularly update my CC apps and iPhone/iPad apps)

hope this helps!

been there...

• 2. Re: Why are my drawings saved as PNG files and not as vector files?
            BelalJK Level 1

It's working now! My Creative Cloud was showing that all my apps were up to date but when I opened up the Update Management Tool I was able to see a new major update that included the CC Libraries I wasn't getting access to before. I should have checked that earlier. Now my Illustrator CC is updated to 2014.1.1 and everything is working as it should.

Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate it