• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where do you set the page size for printed output

New Here ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I plan to use RoboHelp to generate printed output on various size papers.

Where do I set the page size and margin widths?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread moved to the RoboHelp Printed Documentation forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you generate a Printed Layout, it doesn't go directly to a printing device. Instead, you end up with a Microsoft Word document that you have to open and command it to print from there.

The bottom line is that this function is beyond what you do in RoboHelp. It's totally a Microsoft Word thing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2015 May 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick.

Your answer assumes that Word is chosen as the output for the printed documentation.

My questions was how do you set the page size and margins when the generated output is a PDF?

Regards,

Leigh Freedman

Operations Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you creating the PDF?

If with Acrobat Pro there might be a way. I need to look and can't right now.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF is created by generating PDF output using the Printed Documentation Single Source Layout option.

Regards,

Leigh Freedman

Operations Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll leave it to Printed Documentation GURU Peter to explain all the fine detail. But you seem to think that choosing PDF simply spits out a PDF. I don't think that's the case. It's my understanding that RoboHelp first creates a Word document, then creates a PDF from the Word document it created.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. So use one layout and generate to an A4 Word layout and the PDF

should follow, same with Letter size. If you don't define a template,

RoboHelp will use a Letter default.

It is set up in the Sample projects.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Post 5 you said "The PDF is created by generating PDF output using the Printed Documentation Single Source Layout option."

I realise that, the question was really about whether you are using the PDF Add-on that ships with Rh or if you have the full version of Acrobat, which Rh would then use in preference.

If you have the full version, then that can be set up with different profiles that can specify A4 or Letter. That said though, I can't see a way of telling Rh which one to use so I would guess Acrobat would just run whichever one was last used.

Personally I never generate the PDF from Rh as it is unlikely the output will be formatted to your requirements. Bear in mind you are creating the document from HTML files so it is unlikely your page breaks will be where you want them and you may want to override where Rh splits pages and/or tables. Typically that only takes a matter of minutes even with quite large documents once you are familiar with the process. I find it more efficient to generate to Word and that allows me to set each layout to A4 or Letter as required. Examples of that are in the sample projects. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

Once generated in Word and tidied up to my requirements, I then generate the PDF. I only need A4 documents so I always use the A4 profile. If I needed Letter size, I would then change to that profile when generating the PDF from Word. I don't have a machine without Acrobat full version so I cannot say quite how that aspect would be dealt with using the add-on but I think there should be a means. Maybe there it is just based on the document Word hands over.

Does that clarify things for you?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Peter. Thinks clarifies a lot for me.

We’ll follow your suggestions and let you know how we progress.

Regards

Leigh Freedman

Operations Manager

OnTarget Communications

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp