3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 3:19 AM by emansouri

Is MDI possible in Flex2?

SteveFromAlpharetta
      I'd like to be able to have MDI in a Flex application.
      Need child windows that are resizable and minimizable.
      Would also like to be able to implement the usual cascade, minimize all ,and restore all.

I see no Containers that would do this in Flex2.
      Need something like JDesktopPane and JInternalFrame in Swing.
      Am I missing something, or has Flex2 purposely not implemented MDI?

In a similar vein, I was looking for a way to create a top-level window that would live outside the Browser.
      But it appears the Application window can only appear within the Browser.
      Is it true that in Flex2 there is no way to have a separate top level window that will appear outside of the Browser?
        • 1. Re: Is MDI possible in Flex2?
          peterent Level 2
          Flex applications are Flash SWFs - so they need to run within the Flash Player. I know that Flex applications often look like desktop applications, but they are not. Consequently they need to run within the Flash Player.

Good news however: our Project Apollo, is bringing Flash to the desktop. You can read up on Apollo on the Adobe Labs website.

As for MDI: I recall seeing a blog about this, but I just can't find it now. I even checked the Adobe Flex Component Exchange site.

I have a something which might work for you. I called it MinMaxPanel. Essentially Panel components that have minimize and maximize buttons. In my example the minimize and maximize buttons are crude since I'm not a good artist, but it is easy enough to replace them.

Here's the link to the article: Component Templates in Flex 2.0
          • 2. Re: Is MDI possible in Flex2?
            SteveFromAlpharetta Level 1
            Thanks. the MinMax code was interesting, but still doesn't supply the MDI capabilities I was looking for such as:
            letting the user size a window by dragging resize bars

moving a window to any position on the screen

viewing information from 2 overlapping windows at once

I found some articles about Apollo, but I was really interested in running inside the Browser and still getting a window outside the Browser. Still Apollo looks pretty interesting.

• 3. Re: Is MDI possible in Flex2?
              emansouri Level 1

You should check out the MDI classes in the flexlib library (http://code.google.com/p/flexlib/).

I am using them in a Flex 4 project and they are working with no issue for me at this time.