10 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2015 7:44 AM by carl-58873460

Lens correction help

carl-58873460

I am new to Lightroom 4 and relatively new to photography.  I am reviewing the Lightroom 4 tutorials online and I am having trouble setting up the lens correction tool in Lightroom.  I have a Sony 77M2 camera and a number of different lenses.  The specific lens that I want to set up is the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8.  This lens is not included in the Lightroom options. I have downloaded Profile Creator, but I have no idea how to use it.  I am trying to download the the Lens Profile downloader utility, but I can't open the file after I have saved it.  Adobe reader will not open the file, and I am not sure what to do next.  Any advice is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Lens correction help
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Sony 77M2 is an APS-C sensor size camera. There are two raw file lens profiles for Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 lenses:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support-lightroom-4.html

What version lens do you own and are your shooting raw (ARW) files or JPEG files?

carl-58873460 wrote:

I have downloaded Profile Creator, but I have no idea how to use it.  I am trying to download the the Lens Profile downloader utility, but I can't open the file after I have saved it.

Hold off on the Profile Creator for now. You need to double click on the Adobe_Lens_Profile_Downloader_1_0_1.air file to launch the installer.

Here are the links to the Lens Profile Downnloader:

Windows

Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Downloader : For Windows : Adobe Lens Profile Downloader 1.0.1

Mac

Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Downloader : For Macintosh : Adobe Lens Profile Downloader 1.0.1

• 2. Re: Lens correction help
            carl-58873460 Level 1

Thanks for your prompt reply.    The version of the Tokina lens that I am using is the AT-X Pro DX  11-16mm aspherical f2.8 (for Sony).   I mainly shoot jpeg, but I plan on using RAW more often in the future, once I get more proficient at Lightroom and Photoshop.

I can download the  Lens Profile Downloader for Windows, but when I try to open it, I get an error message that states –

“Adobe Reader could not open Adode_Lens_Profile-Downloader_1_0_1 (1).air because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged, (for example it was sent as an e-mail attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded.)

FYI   I am using Adobe Reader XI

• 3. Re: Lens correction help

carl-58873460 wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply.    The version of the Tokina lens that I am using is the AT-X Pro DX  11-16mm aspherical f2.8 (for Sony).   I mainly shoot jpeg, but I plan on using RAW more often in the future, once I get more proficient at Lightroom and Photoshop.

Adobe has only provided the lens profile for raw files with that lens.

carl-58873460 wrote:

I can download the  Lens Profile Downloader for Windows, but when I try to open it, I get an error message that states –

“Adobe Reader could not open Adode_Lens_Profile-Downloader_1_0_1 (1).air because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged, (for example it was sent as an e-mail attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded.)

FYI   I am using Adobe Reader XI

Download the file for your system type (Windows or Mac) at the links I provided. Locate the file and double-click on it, which will install the Lens profile downloader. Adobe Acrobat is not used by this application....don't try to open the file in Adobe Acrobat! What type of system are you using and what OS version (Windows 7 Mac OS X 10.x)?

I only found one profile for the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 lens in the Lens Proifle Downloader and it's a "raw" profile, which will not work with your JPEG camera files. It is possible to "hack" the raw lens profile to work with JPEG files using a text editor:

Re: Lens profile for Canon 28/1.8 - already installed in LR4?

You need to open the lens profile 'SONY (Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm F2.8) - RAW.lcp' in the text editor and find all instances of 'CameraRawProfile>True'. Change ALL of the instances to 'CameraRawProfile>False' and save the file with a new name SONY (Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm F2.8) - JPG.lcp

• 4. Re: Lens correction help
                carl-58873460 Level 1

I am using Windows 7.   Which application should I use to open the Downloader?

• 6. Re: Lens correction help
                  carl-58873460 Level 1

I have installed Adobe AIR and was able to install  and open the Profile Downloader.  Although I have found a profile for the Tokina 11-16 mm AT-X  Pro DX lens, it is listed for the A700 model of Sony camera body.  I have a Alpha 77M2 body. Since they both have APS-C sensors, can I use this download for my camera?

The profile is only useful for RAW pictures, and I don't know how to adapt it for jpegs, so for the time being, I will use it for RAW photos, and do lens corrections for jpegs using the manual method in Lightroom4.

• 7. Re: Lens correction help
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use full-frame and crop-frame sensor camera lens profile with crop-frame sensor cameras, and you can use crop-frame sensor profiles with other crop-frame cameras, only.  If both yours and the profiling camera have the same sensor size then the profile should work ok.

To convert a copy of the raw profile into a JPG profile, copy the raw profile to another file with the same name except change the RAW to JPG at the end of the name, then open the JPG-named one with a text-editor and change all the stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True" lines to stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False" and resave the file.

Information about where downloaded profile files reside can be found here:

Lightroom 5 Default Locations - The Lightroom Queen

• 8. Re: Lens correction help

The Sony A700 and your Alpha 77M2 use the same size APS-C sensor and lens profiles. In Windows 7 you'll find the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 RAW lens profile here:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Tokina\Sony\SONY (Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm F2.8) - RAW.lcp

1) Copy the file (CTRL +C) and Paste (CTRL + V) it to your Desktop.

2) Change the name to SONY (Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm F2.8) - JPEG.lcp.

3) Open the file with Windows Notepad and use Edit> Replace and 'Replace All' instances of CameraRawProfile="True" with CameraRawProfile="False".

4) Save the file back to your Desktop and then Copy & Paste it to this folder location:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\

Repeat the process for any other non-Sony lenses you want to use with JPEG files. Just keep in mind that the actual Vignetting correction may be slightly different for the JPEG file dependent on the in-camera Picture Style used (i.e. low contrast, high contrast). You can adjust this using the Vignetting Amount slider. Distortion correction should be the same as with raw files.

• 9. Re: Lens correction help
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The C:\ProgramData location is where the DNG Converter (and the Camera Raw plug-in for PS) will have put their profiles and is not where the Lightroom-installed profiles are stored.  In this situation, although never specifically mentioned, we can assume DNG Converter is installed since the A77II is not supported in LR 4 so only DNGs would be openable in LR 4, but for others who may not have the exact same scenario I wanted to clarify the reason profiles are in a location not associated with LR.

• 10. Re: Lens correction help
                          carl-58873460 Level 1

Thanks for all of your help.