7 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 6:54 AM by ShipWorks

From LR jpeg images edit in PS but raw images don't open

ShipWorks

Good Day,   From LR I can use (Image/Edit in Photoshop 2014) and jpeg images open first in the camera raw editor.  Not quit what I expected, but ok.   When I use LR (Image/Edit in Photoshop 2014) on raw image files, CR2, photoshop opens but the file is never opened in either PS or the Camera Raw 9.0.  

Troubleshooting:

* Checked several times and all appllications, CC, CR9.0, PS2014, and LR 2015 are up to date.

* PS will directly open the raw file, CR2, into Camera Raw 9.0 without difficulty....as expected.

Have I got some configuration miss set?   Althoug I am only active every other week or so this is a new difficulty.

Thanks, Marty

• 1. Re: From LR jpeg images edit in PS but raw images don't open
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you’re observing is normal.  There is no need to open a raw file in ACR after it comes from LR because both LR and ACR have the same adjustments, assuming both are up-to-date:  ACR 9 would be the same as LR 6/CC.

• 2. Re: From LR jpeg images edit in PS but raw images don't open
            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Thanks ssprengel, but the OP states-

photoshop opens but the file is never opened

I have exactly the same problem- DNG and NEFs will not open in PS-CC.

I get nothing, then the error message (after considerable seconds delay) even though PS may already be open.

Oddly the image will then open in PS if I click the [OK] button.!!

ScreenShot004.jpg

• 3. Re: From LR jpeg images edit in PS but raw images don't open
              ShipWorks Level 1

Evening Gents,

With some teriffic help from Udit Tuli at Adobe support we were able to correct the issue.   He took control of my system and was able to see the issue in that from LR jpeg files could be opened into PS but raw images (CR2) would launch PS but the images would not open in the application.   Udit carefully went into the directory structure and set asside the personalization files for safe keeping.   Then using the Creative Cloud app he uninstalled only PS and then reinstalled PS.  It took some time but upon completion the problem was corrected and my personalization was preserved......all very nice and I'm exceedingly greatful.

Marty

• 4. Re: From LR jpeg images edit in PS but raw images don't open
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I clearly misread the original post.

• 5. Re: From LR jpeg images edit in PS but raw images don't open

Thanks Shipworks,

If you can give me a little more detail about the "personalization files", the folder location, etc, that would be helpful.

I have already done a re-install in the CC-App, but haven't tried altering the directories.

• 6. Re: From LR jpeg images edit in PS but raw images don't open

Follow-up.

After a long on-line chat with Adobe support, my answer to solve this problem was-

Uninstall ALL adobe programs (LR PS BR), delete any remnant folders in AppData that reference the programs (including old CS5), then do re-installs with the CC-Desktop App of LR, PS, & BR, (in that order)

I will need to re-establish plugins and a few preferences.

But problem solved for me.

• 7. Re: From LR jpeg images edit in PS but raw images don't open
                      ShipWorks Level 1

Good Day,

As follow up let me add the following:

* ssprengel...You've shown courage and I think you are an honorable man.

* There was a question regarding the files and directories that were set aside.  Udit moved quickly but I'll post what I can find/recall.  Having said that I did not see him overtly reference these or copy back any files to recover my personalization/configurations.   Still, they did all return.  

/user/AppData/Local/Adobe was renamed to AdobeRemoved20150424

C:\Users\ShipWorks\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings was copied to ....._old

He also looked in C:\ProgramData\Adobe and C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe but I did not see any changes here.

OK, that's all I can add.  

Many thanks to the forum.

Marty