7 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2015 12:58 PM by dj_paige

LR5 saved ARW into JPG but now need quality tif; how to do?

red fuji Level 1

In LR5, I edited, retouched, cropped and saved some critical
      RAW image to jpg and now realize i should have saved them in tif for quality printing(i
      don notice a difference).   Do i  just take the jpg and 'export' them into tif.
      my camera was set to take JPG+RAW.  i
      think i used the RAW to create the JJPG.  i spent  hours editing the 25 pics.  what steps do i take at this point to get the
      best possible tif from what i have. how do i do that please. Thank you much.

also- I don't see the exif data in the JPGs; where did they go.

• 1. Re: LR5 saved ARW into JPG but now need quality tif; how to do?
          dj_paige Level 9

You go back to the RAW photo in Lightroom's Library Module, select the desired photo(s), and EXPORT (not "save") as a TIF. If you are going to do this, you do not work with the JPG.

i should have saved them in tif for quality printing(i don notice a difference).

In a lot of cases, you will not see a difference between a printed JPG and a printed TIF of the same image

• 2. Re: LR5 saved ARW into JPG but now need quality tif; how to do?
            red fuji Level 1

i do notice a quality difference between my tif and jpg.  I will be
            doing enlargements.

1. if i go to the RAW and Export it as tiff, will LR pick up the hours of editing .
            2. if I go to the JPG and export it into tif, should LR  know to use the RAW baseline since that is what i used to create the JPG?

sorry i am not all that fluent in how LR manages these types of things.

• 3. Re: LR5 saved ARW into JPG but now need quality tif; how to do?
              dj_paige Level 9

1. if i go to the RAW and Export it as tiff, will LR pick up the hours of editing .

Yes, that's the whole point. You do everything on the RAW photos, your edits will always be there associated with the RAW photos as long as you leave the RAW photos in Lightroom; and then export (you can export multiple times to multiple formats, and you can do this again at any time in the future if you want)

2. if I go to the JPG and export it into tif, should LR  know to use the RAW baseline since that is what i used to create the JPG?

This is never the process to use. You never work with an exported JPG. You always go back to the RAW. And Lightroom will not know to use the RAW if you use the JPG. That's not how Lightroom works.

Summary: always work with the RAW, always go back to the RAW for additional actions.

• 4. Re: LR5 saved ARW into JPG but now need quality tif; how to do?
                red fuji Level 1

i wish i could try out your suggesting this minute but don't have the work front of me..

let me go through the steps and please correct me and add any helpful advice or details please.

1. Camera takes the RAW+JPG pictures.
                2. Import the RAW into LR  (leave the JPG out of LR.)
                3. work(Develop) the RAW. ( never develop a JPG since you have the RAW)
                4. Export the RAW as tif.

and for subsequent editing...

5. Open the RAW ( should see the last editing where i left off )

6.  Export the developed RAW as a tif overwriting the original tif or create new.

the way I ask this maybe flawed ...

can i take all the previous edits done to the JPG file and 'transfer' or 'apply' them to the RAW file and work on the RAW from now on??

in my mind i am thinking that i did some editing in the RAW and other in the JPG and want to combine them if that makes any sense.

• 5. Re: LR5 saved ARW into JPG but now need quality tif; how to do?
                  dj_paige Level 9

Your steps 1 through 6 are fine.

can i take all the previous edits done to the JPG file and 'transfer' or 'apply' them to the RAW file and work on the RAW from now on??

in my mind i am thinking that i did some editing in the RAW and other in the JPG and want to combine them if that makes any sense.

Yes, you can transfer the settings from JPG to RAW, pair by pair, by synchronizing the settings in a pair. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/develop-module-options.html#apply_develop_adjustmen ts_to_other_photos

I believe you can also do this in bulk (all pairs at once) with a plug-in, but I do not know the details.

You might also want to view some tutorial videos about Lightroom ... this is highly recommended and will save you a lot of trouble in the future

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

• 6. Re: LR5 saved ARW into JPG but now need quality tif; how to do?
                    red fuji Level 1

thanks for the link very helpful- (XMP file)

But Is there any special settings that LR will not copy over such as Heal/Clone, frame cropping ,etc ?

LR is pretty smart but when does it say no can do. Both images where visually identical out of the camera (one RAW, other JPG) but they went there seperate ways after that- the RAW was Developed then exported to JPG and later the JPG was developed but what I really should have done is stayed with the RAW. And now i want to work with the RAW again but not lose the JPG developments) sorry if i am being redundant.

• 7. Re: LR5 saved ARW into JPG but now need quality tif; how to do?
                      dj_paige Level 9

It copies whatever settings you tell it to copy, including you can check ALL settings. Give it a try.